Harrellson

davidlee

I went to the SWIC game last night against Meramac. Harrellson had 20 points and numerous rebounds and several blocks. The best way to describe his game is he is a "banger". Not sure what his situation is as far as availability for next year, but he would appear to have a place somewhere at the D1 level if he gets his release from Western Illinois. Nice player. Athelitic for his size.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he has an automatic release once the school year he committed to ends. His letter of intent was signed and it was suppose to seal and deliver him to Western for the 2007-2008 academic year. They had an option to grant him a release if he asked for it. Maybe he did and they said no. Seeing as he wasn't released, he was locked in to going to that school or no other at the Divison 1 level. Am I correct? And then, once that enrollment deadline passed, and he did not enroll at Western and has not enrolled at another D-1 school, he has fulfilled his obligations under that LOI. I think it would have to extend through the second semester as well. Maybe it prohibits the person without a release for that entire year. There is a let enrollment period for every school and every semester. I would think once that passes in January adnoptions to enroll at a school on a semester basis are gone, the LOI goes bankrupt and he is free to do whatever. That would mean an offer and a signing in the Spring Semester at the earliest.

All this is me blowing smoke but that would seem to make sense. I recall a kid from California doing this with Tulane when we were in the end of our run with CUSA. He wanted out so he could sign with California. Tulane eventually said okay and he was released and signed for that coming school year. Sounds like Western was being a pr*ck about it but they might have good reasons.

Harrellson would be nice for depth and the fact he would not be in the same class eligibility wise as our monster class of 2008 is a plus. The eligibility issues on Harrellson were discussed before on the board and somebody posted that he needed to be a qualifier before entering JUCO in order to be able to leave after one year. The issue wasn't the release from Western but whether Harrellson qualified before going JUCO. 3Star or someone else thought he had not qualified. Anybody know?

Harrellson would be nice for depth and the fact he would not be in the same class eligibility wise as our monster class of 2008 is a plus. The eligibility issues on Harrellson were discussed before on the board and somebody posted that he needed to be a qualifier before entering JUCO in order to be able to leave after one year. The issue wasn't the release from Western but whether Harrellson qualified before going JUCO. 3Star or someone else thought he had not qualified. Anybody know?

jj, my mind might be failing me here, but I don't remember any discussion on Harrellson not being a qualifyer. I only remember a lot of back and forth on when he would be allowed to go to a D1 school and play depending on if WIU released him or not. Taj makes a good point about all bets being off after one year. Since Ath. scholarships are only binding on schools for one year at a time (although generally renewed for 4) it would seem logical that it would only bind the player for one year. I believe the issue is if Harrellson will have 2 or 3 more years of eligibility after this year and somehow the release issue impacts that-didn't we go through all this with Josh F. with regard to his Pepperdine LOI signing?

I believe the issue with Harrelson is will WIU give him a release from hid LOI. If they do he is eligible to plat D1 after one year. If they don't ne is eligble after 2 years. That's quite a hammer. My understanding was WIU is mad about the way he handled this. Apparently he wouldn't discuss it with them so they're holding this over his head and not giving him his release. Just another example of how the schools have the upper hand in dealing with these kids.

This is all from my recollection of prior posts on this board. No first hand knowledge.

I believe the issue with Harrelson is will WIU give him a release from hid LOI. If they do he is eligible to plat D1 after one year. If they don't ne is eligble after 2 years. That's quite a hammer. My understanding was WIU is mad about the way he handled this. Apparently he wouldn't discuss it with them so they're holding this over his head and not giving him his release. Just another example of how the schools have the upper hand in dealing with these kids.

This is all from my recollection of prior posts on this board. No first hand knowledge.

From previous discussions - the point that if you are a qualifier when you sign then you can go D1 after 1 year at a JUCO if the school you signed with does not release you. Also, the school made a commitment to the kid so if they just release him then they are sending the message that anybody can jilt them. Not sure if I buy that totally but it is a point - slippery slope and all. Finally, it was my understanding from these discussions that he was not a qualifier as of the time he signed in Nov. but became a qualifier later in the year. So he is stuck for 2 years at SWIC - at least that is what the experts who posted on the board have said in the past.

From previous discussions - the point that if you are a qualifier when you sign then you can go D1 after 1 year at a JUCO if the school you signed with does not release you. Also, the school made a commitment to the kid so if they just release him then they are sending the message that anybody can jilt them. Not sure if I buy that totally but it is a point - slippery slope and all. Finally, it was my understanding from these discussions that he was not a qualifier as of the time he signed in Nov. but became a qualifier later in the year. So he is stuck for 2 years at SWIC - at least that is what the experts who posted on the board have said in the past.

A couple of points, one Harrellson is a qualifier, secondly Harrellson will likely will be able to sign with another D1 school next fall, if Western Illinois chooses not to release Harrellson from his commitment then they will not be able to use that scholarship on another player. This is not likely to happen, penalizing your team to get back at Harrellson is not a very smart idea. The only reason it happened this year is because WI didn't have a worth recruit to offer the scholarship to.

harrellson now has much bigger aspirations. his most recent list is big time schools sans the billikens. plus he is at swic which is the juco where the asst coach hates slu and thinks we arent big time enough. so we definitely arent getting any inside help and wont.

if harrellson truly wanted to be a billiken he wouldnt have taken us off the list. hell he wouldnt have signed with western in the first place if he wanted to be a billiken.

move on to the next guy.

harrellson now has much bigger aspirations. his most recent list is big time schools sans the billikens. plus he is at swic which is the juco where the asst coach hates slu and thinks we arent big time enough. so we definitely arent getting any inside help and wont.

if harrellson truly wanted to be a billiken he wouldnt have taken us off the list. hell he wouldnt have signed with western in the first place if he wanted to be a billiken.

move on to the next guy.

Harrellson's first choice was to be a billiken. Brad messed this up big time. Harrellson would be starting for the Bills now if he were here.

move on to the next guy.

Roy, we don't know that Harrellson doesn't want to be a Billiken. From what it sounded like, we never offered in the first place, so he took the first thing that became available, which was WIU.

Additionally, does the ass't coach still have this view that SLU is not big time enough? Because while this may have been the case one year ago in our recruitment of Stemler, it shouldn't be anymore with Majerus at the helm.

No he wouldn't. He might get some minutes, but he would not be starting this season.

I have to agree with Brian, Harrelson's basketball IQ is pretty low-he started playing as a sophmore(?). The times that I have seen him play he seemed out of place... I think Majerus would tear him a new one if he came on board, besides I think SLU has bigger fish to give a scholly to than Harrelson.

A couple of points, one Harrellson is a qualifier, secondly Harrellson will likely will be able to sign with another D1 school next fall, if Western Illinois chooses not to release Harrellson from his commitment then they will not be able to use that scholarship on another player. This is not likely to happen, penalizing your team to get back at Harrellson is not a very smart idea. The only reason it happened this year is because WI didn't have a worth recruit to offer the scholarship to.

Fair point about the WI schollie situation.

move on to the next guy.

Harrellson sounds like an assjockey. Good riddance. No exhibited sense of character, average skillset and an inflated sense of self worth. I'd be happy not to hear his name anymore. I really don't give a shite if he wants to rim the Billiken at center court so he can walk on to the team in 9 years when he's eligible again. He's just another fat slob goon to me.

Posted Image

Take off, hoser.

Harrellson sounds like an assjockey. Good riddance. No exhibited sense of character, average skillset and an inflated sense of self worth. I'd be happy not to hear his name anymore. I really don't give a shite if he wants to rim the Billiken at center court so he can walk on to the team in 9 years when he's eligible again. He's just another fat slob goon to me.

Posted Image

Take off, hoser.

Fat Goon? Have you ever seen him? Josh is 6'9 265 lbs, great quickness, who runs the floor. He also has great hands and a soft touch around the basket...Oh I forgot we have Bryce and AK, yeah we certainly couldn't use Josh. Tell me Jimbo, have you ever changed your mind about anything? If so does that mean you have no character either?

Josh really got off to a rough start (by Jimbo's standards) in his first college game. Here is the link to the game story.

http://www.bnd.com/sports/story/173372.html

Fat Goon? Have you ever seen him? Josh is 6'9 265 lbs, great quickness, who runs the floor. He also has great hands and a soft touch around the basket...Oh I forgot we have Bryce and AK, yeah we certainly couldn't use Josh. Tell me Jimbo, have you ever changed your mind about anything? If so does that mean you have no character either?

Josh really got off to a rough start (by Jimbo's standards) in his first college game. Here is the link to the game story.

V'shon Newborne had great Juco numbers. Harrelson is not now the player BH is. He may very well turn out to be a much better player but he isn't yet. The thing with Harrelson is that he was not higher D-1 ready coming out of high school and he sure in the hell isn't RM ready yet.

I do think he will end being a pretty good D-1 player when it is all said and done.

We could have used him this year. I don't know how much we'll need him afterwards, which means he's worthless to us because of a poor decision he made and, more importantly, subsequent poor decisions regarding the handling and resolution of the problems resulting from the first one. I don't know intricate details, and since we're pretty much all just shooting from the hip (save for a select few), I base my opinions on the reporting that I hear. And I've heard that he was some ignorant git who jumped at one of the first D1 looks he received, then tried to cold shoulder Western Ill. into releasing him from a binding commitment. He then, from the sounds of it, completely overshoots his perceived worthy school pool and snubs us because we're "small time". Maybe he's turned off by the three legit big men we're about to sign, and rightfully so. Maybe Majerus hasn't contacted him and doesn't plan to. My comments probably came off as harsh because I felt like ripping on somebody, but I most definitely am not concerned with his recruitment. I'll take Adam Knollmeyer.

Harrellson's first choice was to be a billiken. Brad messed this up big time. Harrellson would be starting for the Bills now if he were here.

and brad asked him to wait until alexander made his choice in november. had harrelson waited until just november to verbal he would have gotten the offer. brad didnt chase him away. harrelson apparently let derrick thomas talk him into the "no love" argument. no one messed this up but harrelson himself.

but like i said, if he really wanted to be a billiken, then why arent the billikens on his list now? soderberg's no longer around. cant hold that against us anymore. is he that wishy washy?

he is far better than knollmeyer in every area, you obviously have never watched him. A;so if he were not an upgrade over our present bigs RM would not be interested.

maybe majerus isnt interested. maybe that is why harrelson doesnt have the billikens on his current list.

Posted Image

Take off, hoser.

He's actually a very well buily 6'9 265. Not fat at all. He's not bad athletically at all. He knows how to use his body well and can finish with both hands. He can shoot out to the 3pt line. He plays for one of the top 10 junior colleges in the country and it will interesting to see who he signs with. He DEFINITELY would've started for the Billikens this year.

I thought he has an automatic release once the school year he committed to ends. His letter of intent was signed and it was suppose to seal and deliver him to Western for the 2007-2008 academic year. They had an option to grant him a release if he asked for it. Maybe he did and they said no. Seeing as he wasn't released, he was locked in to going to that school or no other at the Divison 1 level. Am I correct? And then, once that enrollment deadline passed, and he did not enroll at Western and has not enrolled at another D-1 school, he has fulfilled his obligations under that LOI. I think it would have to extend through the second semester as well. Maybe it prohibits the person without a release for that entire year. There is a let enrollment period for every school and every semester. I would think once that passes in January adnoptions to enroll at a school on a semester basis are gone, the LOI goes bankrupt and he is free to do whatever. That would mean an offer and a signing in the Spring Semester at the earliest.

That's how I thought it works, myself, but perhaps the SEC and NCAA changed the rules, because I recall reading where Harrelson himself said that he must stay in juco for two years if he doesn't get a release. Does he just not understand the rule, is he getting bad advice, or have the rules changed?

Vtime .... you have absolutely no cred to be telling anybody anything about who would DEFINITELY do anything for anybody. Only two things certain in the world, death and taxes. You might write a nice article or two, but don't even attempt to pas yourself off as an expert with an expert opinion on anything. You promote the St. Louis High School Hoop scene but that's it. If this were the automotive scene, the St. Louis rep for producing players might be slightly above the Yugo level as far as history goes. Keep writing your little ditties and keep it at that. Light and breezy is about all you've got.

Vtime .... you have absolutely no cred to be telling anybody anything about who would DEFINITELY do anything for anybody. Only two things certain in the world, death and taxes. You might write a nice article or two, but don't even attempt to pas yourself off as an expert with an expert opinion on anything. You promote the St. Louis High School Hoop scene but that's it. If this were the automotive scene, the St. Louis rep for producing players might be slightly above the Yugo level as far as history goes. Keep writing your little ditties and keep it at that. Light and breezy is about all you've got.

Hey Taj..how come you are not ripping on the people here who say that he would only play a few minutes a game??? What are their credentials??? better yet what are yours??? What an ignorant post..V has every right to state his opinion, why don't you go back and start writing your own little ditties..