Recruiting expectations for RM

Obviously you have to take what you can get this year, but I think it's reasonable to expect a million dollar coach to bring in at least one 3 star recruit each year and some 4 star players on a pretty regular basis. If RM delivers SLU should be dancing on a regular basis. Hopefully not too many Sekues!!!!!

Am I being unreasonable here?

Is that what he did at Utah? I dont remember him having a lot of high profile recruits. From being on ESPN it would reasonable to expect half 3 star and half 4 star in my opinion, but I would not go as far to say mostly 4 star and one 3 star each class.

I think the combination of Moser and Majerus is the reason for very big recruiting expectations. Majerus should allow SLU to get the attention of kids who wouldn't have done so in the past. Moser is the one with the reputation for being an abolustely tenacious recruiter and dynamic personality. While Majerus may que up the interest and ultimately seal the deal, I expect Moser to be an equally important piece to the puzzle.

Great point, Nark. I think Majerus knows his strengths and weaknesses and that's why he wanted Moser as an assistant. I think our recruiting expectations have to be high with Majerus, Moser, and new state of the art facilities.

All that being said, if Majerus is known for x's and o's and known for developing players and Porter brings in the troops, shouldn't our expectations of this team be pretty high? How high are we all thinking?

People can talk ratings and numbers and stars all they want. He is expected to dance. Stars and player rankings do not matter good or bad. Winning matters, and by that I do not just mean number of games, but whom you beat.

He will try to salavge what he can for next season, and for 08 class playing catch-up. Higher expectations of 09, 10 etc...kids and teams.

Obviously he will be expected to make the NCAA's in a few years, but he isn't going to receive unrealistic expectations ...as in too little or too much. At least not from me. He'll get a fair shake.

I wrote one 3 star each year and some 4 stars on a regular basis. I didn't write "one 3 star and the rest 4 stars every year".

To clarify, I expect RM to get a 4 star caliber player every other year or every 3rd year at the worst. he should be landing at least one 3 star each season.

>People can talk ratings and numbers and stars all they want.

> He is expected to dance. Stars and player rankings do not

>matter good or bad. Winning matters, and by that I do not

>just mean number of games, but whom you beat.

>

>He will try to salavge what he can for next season, and for

>08 class playing catch-up. Higher expectations of 09, 10

>etc...kids and teams.

>

>Obviously he will be expected to make the NCAA's in a few

>years, but he isn't going to receive unrealistic

>expectations ...as in too little or too much. At least not

>from me. He'll get a fair shake.

My goodness 2009 is special.

The local would be just great

1. Griffey

2. Anderson

3. Allen

4. Dixon (from Missouri, not the area, but quickly becoming an elite guard prospect on the national scene.)

5. Wiss

Courtside, you are certainly a very patient person. With all the $$$ being spent on RM and the rest of the program, with a new arena opening for the 08 season, with that being TL & KL's last year and with PM's comment about bringing in a great 08 recruiting class (or whatever his words were), you call expecting an NCAA tournament bid for the 08-09 season an "unrealistic expectation"? I would love to have you for a boss!

I believe if we let Kevin and Tommie out of here w/o an NCAA bid, then RM will not have done the job most of the Billikens.com family expect him to do. Shoot, if we hadn't laid an egg against St. B. and the Dukes we might have made it this year and all we are losing is an ineffective 5-man who decided to take his last year of college BB off. In his stead we are adding BE and MR, both of whom seem capable of helping next year, and a $1M coach. I think we have every right to expect going to the NCAA's next year and certainly no later than the 08-09 year.

This can be a tournament team next year. We can not afford any major injuries but this can be a tournamnet team this coming season. This should have been a tournament team last season even with KL's injuries. You lose IV (a huge loss), but KL and TL have a another year under their belts and we have a much better option at the 4. How much you want to bet we run a real offense this year? That will add a couple victories right there and RM will not have his team woefully unprepared to play DU and SBU. They will show up for those games.

i agree with willie.

we had to replace a regressed ian and we lost three games in conference that we shouldnt and one would assume majerus alone would win those.

i agree there is no reason we cannot be there next year.

>Courtside, you are certainly a very patient person. With

>all the $$$ being spent on RM and the rest of the program,

>with a new arena opening for the 08 season, with that being

>TL & KL's last year and with PM's comment about bringing in

>a great 08 recruiting class (or whatever his words were),

>you call expecting an NCAA tournament bid for the 08-09

>season an "unrealistic expectation"? I would love to have

>you for a boss!

>

>I believe if we let Kevin and Tommie out of here w/o an NCAA

>bid, then RM will not have done the job most of the

>Billikens.com family expect him to do. Shoot, if we hadn't

>laid an egg against St. B. and the Dukes we might have made

>it this year and all we are losing is an ineffective 5-man

>who decided to take his last year of college BB off. In his

>stead we are adding BE and MR, both of whom seem capable of

>helping next year, and a $1M coach. I think we have every

>right to expect going to the NCAA's next year and certainly

>no later than the 08-09 year.

Lol...don't tell Billikan how patient I am ....he might have a heart attack at the computer/on the phone or wherever he posts from....

Are you prepared to fire Majerus if he doesn't make the NCAA's the next two seasons? SLU is NOT UNC, Kentucky etc...

Expectations for Rick are to take SLU to another level from where they are now, and that is to make the NCAA's in the short term...and in the long term, to do it more often, and then expectations will be to win more in it ....etc...

I hate to break it to you, a lot of places in the country have good facilities and pay good money for coaches.

It is May before his first coaching season. He inherited two good players, one undersized, out of position solid role player. Because Majerus is that good, even without much talent to work with, he'll likely do fine. But he will be given a fair shake. I gave Brad a fair shake. I will give Rick a fair shake. If you want an NCAA or bust next season, go ahead. SLU is merely beginning this chapter into a higher level of NCAA basketball and building a sustainable program.

Should I go up and down the list of NCAA coaches according to what they make and that should be how they finish? or how much revenue they bring in? How should I do it?

He knows what he is doing. And it isn't unreasonable to see SLU make the NCAA's even as soon as next season.

I believe fairness is after 3 seasons, people can debate the topic,(direction, post-season, etc...) and after 5 and no NCAA's it would be a bust. That is reasonable and fair. Now, with that said, I certainly believe he will have SLU in the NCAA's much sooner than that(within the first two seasons)....but I will certainly be fair.