Peterson's latest recruiting comments

SLUDrew

This is taken from a Rivals article written two days ago. My apologies if it has already been posted:

"Iowa is definitely at the top of my list right now," he said. "St. Louis and Xavier are both still in the running. I am going to visit St. Louis this weekend and I am not sure if or when I will visit Xavier. With the Final Four coming up, I won't be able to visit that weekend and that would only leave one weekend open for me to visit. I might just decide to make a decision after the visit to St. Louis this weekend."

Which ever school ends up landing Peterson is not only getting a pass first point guard, but an outstanding student. Peterson carries a 4.0 grade point average and originally made a verbal pledge to Princeton of the Ivy League."

Brad has to be ecstatic about the news that Alford is heading to New Mexico or else I don't think we would have a realistic shot at this kid. The rest of the article consisted of quotes from him about how much he loves Iowa. Brad may luck into a great recruit. Close the deal Brad.

Or he could just love the actual University and may not mind if Alford is the coach or not. Another possibility would be that he follows Alford to New Mexico. Alford leaving could mean a lot of things, im just not getting my hopes up just because Alford is going to New Mexico. Everyone knows how crushed we have been the past few recruiting classes.

My sales pitch would be quite simple. I would say that not only does Iowa have uncertainty with their coach leaving, they have a pretty good point guard in Tony Freeman. He will be a junior next year. Our starting pg DP will be a senior next year. Freeman is better than DP, so there is a much better opportunity for the kid to get minutes as a freshman here and a real good shot for him to move into the starter's role as a sophomore... which would also be the first year of the oncampus arena. To be the starting point guard for the first game in the new building sounds pretty neat. On top of that, he will get to play with two outstanding wing players who will give him plenty of opportunities to rack big assist numbers. Yes Iowa is the Big Ten, but we were 22 spots higher in the RPI this past year.

If this kid is a 4.0 student from a private Catholic prep school, Biondi will automatically be interested: he has stated many times that he actively and aggressively pursues the best and brightest. I hope Brad figures Biondi, the ultimate salesman, into the recruiting mix for Peterson.

No less than that great guru of HS talent, our own Taj'Mahal79 has seen him and gave him a huge recommend. Loved him. Taj offer him a summer internship at the Pentagon if he signs up. Here's UB's selling points as I see it; Academics, we ain't no slouch and they're important to us. New Arena; Playing time; A-10 trips back east near Baltimore/DC; Two of the best guards in the conference/country TL and KL; Iowa's a great school, but whose the new coach going to be? C'mon, UB, for once beat someone out of a decent recruit....throw us a bone, so we can stop gnawing on your leg.

>>A-10 trips back east near Baltimore/DC<<

It sounds like his family roots are in Missouri. Dad and son moved to DC a few years back just so the kid could play at DeMatha HS. The kid was reported as saying it was between Iowa, St. Louis, and Xavier (with Peterson equivocal as to whether he would even make a visit to Xavier ... sounds like Xavier is just a fallback position). I gotta think Iowa is out of it with the coaching change. Thus, Sodie should have every opportunity to close the deal this weekend on the kid.

wow finally payback for Princeton taking that Bill Bradley kid from us

who played for Crystal City and was Missouri allstate-lost track of him because he left town to play basketball for Ivy league and then I heard he went to Europe on one of those fancy Rhodes scholarship deals

but I don't know what league he played in over there

Don't forget Peterson played in the Scott Trade Center IN ST. LOUIS at the Shootout in December.

If there was a good crowd there — and I wasn't there so I don't know — it might have left him with a favorable impression of playing on that floor in a nice building in front of a decent crowd.

- Nate

I saw the game and was favorably impressed with Peterson. They played Decatur Cristian and DM had a couple of their big-name players unavailable. Peterson basically kept them in the game. I recall at the time wondering why he was going to Princeton when it appeared he had Major D1 potential. Appears to be a super kid who would be a leader on and off the court. Let's pray.

.. I am not a hs talent guru. But I did see Peterson in the Alhambra against Towson Catholic and echo what AJ is posting above ... at crunch time in the game I saw, this kid was the definition of "floor general." If Correia played against top talent as some have said, how do you not say the same about a kid at DeMatha? This was a team in a title game against the best private school talent in the local (DC/Maryland/Penna) area. I am saying from what I saw, I would have no reservations about this kid at all.

Its based on one viewing ... which is more than I usually get. And I don't know if he's two star, five star or one star. He's good enough from what I've seen.