Torres Roundtree to SIU

SIUSalukis

You people do realizet that Roundtree can barely stay academically elligable in high school, I believed he missed games in the past because of his poor academics, I would bet Brad didn't want to take the risk. From the people that have seen him play, what position would be play in college? He's 6"3 and doesn't have much of a jumpshot and hes an average ballhandler

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am less than 15 minutes from the popular street bridge.

i believe the growth of madison, st clair and monroe county the past couple of years has been tremendous and belleville has grown as well with numerous thriving subdivisions and commercial projects.

there is a big difference in where i live and the outlying communities of deeper southern illinois.

we were the first major program to offer stemler and far in advance of either marquette or indiana even seeing lance. if lance wanted to come to slu, he would have come to slu.

Roundtree Finds Home In The Valley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Telep

ScoutHoops.com Feb 7, 2007

One of the top players in the state of Missouri made his collegiate decision Tuesday night. Torres Roundtree, a junior, picked one of the hottest programs in the Midwest.

Life is good at Southern Illinois. Chris Lowery’s team is in the Top 25 and it recently accepted a commitment from a 3-star junior recruit out of Florissant (Mo.) McCluer North.

Torres Roundtree, the brother of former ACC player of the year Chris Carrawell, is headed to Southern Illinois. Indiana State and St. Louis made pitches. Missouri and Illinois were in the process of evaluating him.

The 6-foot-3 standout who averages 17 points and 7 boards said watching his brother persevere and eventually star at Duke helped shape him as a player. “It made me want to work a lot harder seeing that my brother could do it,†Roundtree said. “That really set the standard pretty high.â€

Southern Illinois’s affiliation with the hottest mid-major league in America was a major attraction for Roundtree who also wanted to be close to his family. “I wanted to go to a conference that’s competitive. People get looks overseas and kids get their degrees. I think I can play in any conference but I really like their league.â€

Roundtree could find himself playing a part-time role at the point mixed in with some time at the other two wing positions. His versatility is one of his calling cards.

“I think they’ll run me at the point a lot but I might even see time at the two and the three. I think they’ll kind of just have me on the floor as kind of an athlete.â€

Take Missouri's Jason Conley, for example. At a lower-major school as a freshman and sophomore, Conley once led the nation in scoring and then followed up by averaging around 23 points per game during the first semester of his sophomore year. But then he played at Missouri and was a third option behind Linas Kleiza and Thomas Gardner.

What a player does at one school/level is not necessarily indicative of his production for other schools

Who cares what his stats would've been here. The bottom line is he wanted to come here. He has played on a team that has consistently been better than us over the past four years. I think he would have helped more than Clarke during our 9 win team for example. We've had shakey outside shooting during much of the time Ahearn has been at MSU. Clarke did nothing here. We could still use another guy who would knock down 3s when Tommie and Kevin penetrate and dish. If nothing else, it would be great to be able to throw an awesome free throw shooter in the last 3-4 minutes of games when we have a lead or have another 3-point shooter late in the game when we are playing catch up. Roy is just denying the obvious again.

>i am less than 15 minutes from the popular street bridge.

>

>i believe the growth of madison, st clair and monroe county

>the past couple of years has been tremendous and belleville

>has grown as well with numerous thriving subdivisions and

>commercial projects.

>

>there is a big difference in where i live and the outlying

>communities of deeper southern illinois.

"I believe" who cares what you believe. Belleville is a ###### hole and that is fact. Secondly, you are assuming St. Louis is a mecca itself. St. Louis is a midwestern town that does not stack up to more ideal places to live. Get it straight!

>if brad indeed strikes out with the higher profile juniors

>from st louis (besides kramer), than this miss has merit.

>had we signed the likes of roundtree and passed on the top

>tier guys like suggs, brandenberg, thompson, shwopsire,

>john, etc, then the naysayers would have been asking how a

>coach who has the advantage of sitting with these top

>players parents every game cant even wait to see if he can

>win them over.

>

>in any event, it is my opinion that lowery is wrong to have

>settled this early on roundtree considering there are so

>many top players in just st louis alone in the upcoming

>class. why lock this up 10 months early? why not at least

>give this until june to see where things are going? is he

>that unconfident that his top 10 rpi program cant compete

>for recruits? one would think he has a chance to move up

>instead of shooting for longshots.

Maybe Lowery sees his potential. A super athletic kid who could possibly play pg for you. If Torres play pg exclusively his stock would be a lot higher. During the season senior Brandon Thompson returned as the starting pg once again. For some reason, the post-dispatch preview had Deon Hemphill on the front page of their preview in a picture with the other McCluer North starters like he was the starter, maybe because Hemphill plays for Gateway and Thompson for Northside. Anyway, those 2 kids keep Roundtree from playing pg. Hemphill is a junior like Roundtree, so Torres might never start at pg for North. I'd like to see all 3 North kids at SLU, but they might all opt for the Valley or Femi John might actually come.

>Is this someone we offered and isn't he supposed to be the

>best on the team Femi John plays on? Is this another one UB

>let slide through his net. Someone whose going to give us

>fits two years down the road. Someone who will join Blake

>Ahern and Shaw on the all time Billiken.com greatest not

>playing for the Bill team?

yes. He's a little shorter than Tommie, but basically the same playera athleticism wise etc. Like Tommie used to, he struggles with his outside shooting. I dont want to say he is the next Tommie, but thats who he reminds of me the most. Especially the fact that you are disappointed that he isnt more aggressive and taking more shots and taking over the game. The team only has 2 losses I think and he's averaging around 17 or 18ppg. He's not playing up to his potential and putting up those gaudy stats. When he decides I'm to put my head down and go get a bucket there aren't too many guys on his level that can stop him. I felt bad for him last year playing pf. He still plays there some, but not nearly as much as last year.

Well, SIU has been rolling 11 for years now and in my opinion will continue this trend. Roy, we are all mad now and the SIU loss probably aided in our feelings. But until things change locally here at SLU, I think a majority of us will have these opinions. True, SIU's facilities are average and the campus is fair, but explain to me their success and success at luring local St. Louis talent to their school?

I think all of us are a little angry when we see local kids go to other local schools and have success when SLU either showed a lack of interest or did not recruit these kids hard enough. I think the numbers show up in tournament appearances and career numbers for these kids.