And west on 70

brianstl

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So in September N word yelled out of car.

Again in October.

So some radical activists demand that Wolfe resign and the black members of the football team strike. Less than 2 days, he's forced out.

What did Wolfe do? Why is his career ruined?

Does this sound appropriate to have him pushed out?

Sickening to me.

Go cry me a river. This guy let himself get completely outmaneuvered by a bunch of college kids. That being said, he'll get a golden parachute from this job and go back to the business world where he belongs. One of the most important lessons in life is to know when you have power and when you don't. I'm proud of these young people figuring out that they held the hammer and figuring out how and when to use it. That's how to affect real change. Additionally, I don't think the 1950 organization is super radical, and all of their protests have been non violent. The real question is, where do they go from here? They have already shown they have better public relations acumen than the bunch of numbskulls surrounding the former president of the UM system, but there will certainly be plenty of people waiting for them to go down in flames.

He was really forced to resign for lack of response when confronted with the issue. For the head of a university system to not be able to define systematic oppression is pretty sad. This guy was not in Education to start with how did he even get hired? Peter Principle in action I guess......

Systematic oppression? Please elaborate.

Go cry me a river. This guy let himself get completely outmaneuvered by a bunch of college kids. That being said, he'll get a golden parachute from this job and go back to the business world where he belongs. One of the most important lessons in life is to know when you have power and when you don't. I'm proud of these young people figuring out that they held the hammer and figuring out how and when to use it. That's how to affect real change. Additionally, I don't think the 1950 organization is super radical, and all of their protests have been non violent. The real question is, where do they go from here? They have already shown they have better public relations acumen than the bunch of numbskulls surrounding the former president of the UM system, but there will certainly be plenty of people waiting for them to go down in flames.

A few angry young blacks playing the race card against an older, possibly aloof, white administrator makes you proud? Really?

I was taught that for every right there is a responsibility. Where is the responsibility for these guys holding the race hammer much less using it under these circumstances. Donald Sterling certainly did not deserve to have his entire business taken away from him, but at the same time, the words spoken were his own (even if he thought they were private and even if he meant them in a different context) and the nature of his business consists largely of high profile black athletes. Mizzou's President, on the other hand, spoke no negative words at all.

Sorry, but this is nothing more than a shake down by a minority of a minority. And in today's political correctness, these tactics unfortunately work. Sorry, but race relations will become worse with these tactics. You may be proud but I am disgusted.

Did you read the timeline linked? Or the Post-Dispatch?

Okay there seriously has to be more than this than the timeline indicates. No way can there be this much outrage over two random people using some choice words and a person drawing a swastika. What is the real reason for this?

They have already shown they have better public relations acumen than the bunch of numbskulls surrounding the former president of the UM system, but there will certainly be plenty of people waiting for them to go down in flames.

Good read:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/mizzou-protest-is-total-charade-110915

Systematic oppression? Please elaborate.

I would define it as oppression that occurs when established laws, customs, and practices systematically reflect and produce inequities based on one’s membership in an identifiable group.

examples women not being allowed to vote, women not being allowed to be priests, blacks not being allowed to vote without passing a test, red lining by banks for mortgages,

While they did not define it in the timeline, they did have his answer.....

Summary:

• two random instances, the forbidden N word allegedly used by unknown individuals, in Sept and October, it is early November. SO what?
  • mystery organizations on campus go berserk... where did they come from? Are they funded? Why would they make an issue of two small incidents? Why would they demand Wolfe be fired, to ruin his career, he has been professional about it, what do they think he should have done in a short time, not knowing if or who made these statements?
  • 30 or so brainless football team members, a team very very well known the last 5+ years for violence against women, drug abuse, DUI's, other offenses, jump in with a strike, are being used and they do not even know it
  • the University is faced with the threat of damaging national attention, Reverend Al, the DOJ looking through their emails, you name it. Whoa!
  • so they make Wolfe the scapegoat... pay him a few years severance (over/under = $ 1M) but make him sign confidentiality agreement or it is returned; hurry up get this done ASAP so the kids can practice and the media cools off and we can fend this off
  • Now MU can play football, Pinkel gets his $4M a year, the team gets the SEC big bucks for the University, the players will mostly graduate with no useful skills or knowledge

Is this all a coincidence?

Will other campuses coincidentally erupt with fabricated racial tensions? What if the N word is shouted out at SLU, twice, do you lefties think our President needs to be forced out if he doesn't do something in 2 months? If so what should he do? The race card wins these days..... plenty of air cover.

This is not over.

(try to get BYU - 4 while you still can)

This whole thing didn't happen because of racial issues. The whole driver of it was the health insurance for graduate student instructors and researchers. It started back in June and was the main reason for Butler's hunger strike. The football players' boycott was a backing of Butler. The cuts to healthcare subsidies are what lead to the first call for Wolfe to resign. The graduate students did a good job of coopting race issues and planned parenthood cuts to further their cause.

Wolfe is out of a job because he didn't properly plan for and respond to blow back from his elimation of healthcare subsidies.

This whole thing didn't happen because of racial issues. The whole driver of it was the health insurance for graduate student instructors and researchers. It started back in June and was the main reason for Butler's hunger strike. The football players' boycott was a backing of Butler. The cuts to healthcare subsidies are what lead to the first call for Wolfe to resign. The graduate students did a good job of coopting race issues and planned parenthood cuts to further their cause.

Wolfe is out of a job because he didn't properly plan for and respond to blow back from his elimation of healthcare subsidies.

Nope. The list of demands are all race based. Nothing about healthcare subsidies. The football players on the tweet are all AA.

Nope. The list of demands are all race based. Nothing about healthcare subsidies.

Except it was a driving factor for Butler. It was one of his demands. The team was boycotting in support of Butler and not in support of concerned student 1950.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/higher_education/update-mu-student-embarks-on-hunger-strike-demands-wolfe-s/article_35ab864a-8186-11e5-902b-6f136a45260b.html

Except it was a driving factor for Butler. It was one of his demands. The team was boycotting in support of Butler and not in support of concerned student 1950.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/higher_education/update-mu-student-embarks-on-hunger-strike-demands-wolfe-s/article_35ab864a-8186-11e5-902b-6f136a45260b.html

Yes, I am aware, but do not find it to be believable, nor should you.

The 30 AA football players strike for Butler? What a coincidence. When they said that I laughed. Pinkels ruse, for appearance sake.

Healthcare subsidies for employees of all races or just blacks? I don't like the use of the race card at all here. If the guy didn't give a about his organization then say so. Don't use the THAT'S RACIST! defense. I definitely think the other incidences are unfortunate, but why the hell would you implement race politics here if your beef is completely separate?

Using sports teams to further academic/cultural change? Great. But don't make the University look racist. That's like saying your husband beats you because you're sick of him leaving the toilet seat up.

Shaking my gotdamn head over here...

All I know is that with recent protests, SLU and Mizzou ended racism nationwide over the last 13 months. Mizzou is working on nationwide healthcare now. Remember, just threaten not to eat and you get whatever you want.

(semi-rant over)

Neither really fixed anything. I just think SLU did a much better job of handling their situation than Mizzou did. SLU had a chance to become a much more explosive situation than Mizzou ever did. SLU handled theirs with minimal damage done to the image of the school. Mizzou's image is in tatters right now.

Wolfe had to go because he let the situation devolve into what it became.

The protesters' response to the media presence has been pretty hilarious, especially considering that Mizzou is home to one of the top J-schools in the country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/10/video-shows-u-of-missouri-protesters-and-journalism-professor-barring-media-coverage/?hpid=hp_no-name_morning-mix-story-d%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Healthcare subsidies for employees of all races or just blacks? I don't like the use of the race card at all here. If the guy didn't give a ###### about his organization then say so. Don't use the THAT'S RACIST! defense. I definitely think the other incidences are unfortunate, but why the hell would you implement race politics here if your beef is completely separate?

Using sports teams to further academic/cultural change? Great. But don't make the University look racist. That's like saying your husband beats you because you're sick of him leaving the toilet seat up.

Shaking my gotdamn head over here...

Maybe he took a different path to get to his desired result (Wolfe being fired/resigning). Like brianstl said, the initial beef with Wolfe appears to be with him cutting benefits for grad students. I know individuals protested that and it caused a lot of uproar. However, he likely realized that issue alone doesn't lead to Wolfe being fired (I doubt Wolfe was acting alone in that original decision). Then you had these individual incidents of racism this fall and I am sure these were issues Butler was similarly concerned about. The focus gets turned to systemic racism, he goes on a hunger strike, and gets the black football players to support the cause. I can't imagine he "sold" the football players on the need to take a stand based on the cutting of graduate benefits, but rather that Wolfe has been unresponsive to incidents of campus racism. Add that to the players seeing a man starving and they decide to take the actions they did and get their teammates on board. The football players boycott and the story goes national and the University is left with no other decision, but to have Wolfe resign. Taking politics out of this, this just doesn't sit right.

Not knowing the whole story, it did sound like Wolfe and Loftin were in a similar situation as Biondi was in a few years ago with regards to losing confidence with the faculty and students of the shool.