Around the A-10

Noted, however I would think our win would gather less "Cripes" than this one.  Rationale:  we used tobe good a few scant years ago.  Mason has been a bottom feeder since coming over from the CAA a few years back.  Yes, Mason had a gaudy record coming in but it was well-known that was inflated given the poor OOC schedule they played.  So two bad teams playing each other.  Same response likely would have happen had we beat Duquesne.  These are like two beat up old Chevy's or Ford's on the lot, equally priced and equally dinged and dented.

But Fordham defines bottom feeder.  And in direct contrast, VCU defines the epitome of the always ranked high-caliber mid-major.  I find it interesting because of a recent comment made to me by Gopher-Ram in another thread whereby he said Will Wade is the appropriate successor to Shaka.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I countered Wade is playing with Shaka's kids as Ford is playing with someone else's as well.  In the car world, Fordham is a three-wheeled Yugo; VCU is a Beemer. 

Having been to Fordham, I can see why no one wants to play there.  Rose Hill is about as "quaint" and nostalgic as West Pine was.  Kids want glitz.  I never ever saw Fordham getting "good" or "fair to middling."  They had never beaten VCU in six tries.  I watched the game and Fordham led from the get go.  Did to VCU what the Bonnies did to us (not a 31 point lead but a decent lead considering it was VCU).  Fordham.  FORDHAM.  Plus they have already won at Davidson.  F-O-R-D-H-A-M. 

Cripes.

In the grand scheme of recent NCAA basketball, absolutely.  I watched Fordham @  Umass today.  Umass is literally a turnover in the making.  They shot over 60% in the first half and trailed by 7 due to turnovers and unforced errors.  Fordham surprisingly leads the A10 in causing turnovers at over 19 a game.  Cripes.  They have some nice players in Sengfelder, Hawkins, Anderson and Chartouny.  Umass' Holloway at center goes 6'11" and 320 pounds!  And the announcers said he LOST 80 pounds since last year.  I can't wait to see how we handle THAT!  Gresham and Jarreau are two nice freshmen from New Orleans for Kellogg.  Wonder if he lasts. Umass hit the Rams average by throwing it away 19 times.  Sengfelder is pretty good.  Fordham sits alone in seventh place at 3 and 4 and also won at Davidson.  

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

A10 is definitely cementing itself as a Major, but I think Ford can out recruit the A10, especially when he starts winning

For sure. Ford has been recruiting incredibly successfully to a team that has realistically been one of the worst in college basketball for about three years. 

When we start to actually get some wins next year I expect recruiting to take off to a whole new level. 

13 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

A10 is definitely cementing itself as a Major, but I think Ford can out recruit the A10, especially when he starts winning

We'll be hitting our stride winning and recruiting wise right about the time that Larry Hughes, Jr. starts looking at schools...

14 hours ago, Taj79 said:

.  Umass' Holloway at center goes 6'11" and 320 pounds!  And the announcers said he LOST 80 pounds since last year.  I can't wait to see how we handle THAT!  

-from what I saw in that game yesterday, the kid can move very well for his size

I would like to address a couple of points in this thread. 

One is that Fordham has "arrived" . There is no question that they are a better team.  But they are still C- along with Duq.   If you remove the Bills as a bottom feeder ....we are so removed from the pack  that we are non A-10 like.....you would have Ford and Duq as natural bottom feeders. After these 2 you have GW at C+.....And then all the rest of the league at B- or better.  Again, to have C- as a bottom for your conference, I think is a good thing. It also shows how far the Bills have fallen and how much they have to go...just to reach "normal" bottom feeder status.

Which brings me to my 2nd point...The A-10 has arrived  (cemented itself as a major conference). I will leave  the argument of what constitutes a major to others on the board.  What I wanted to address in this point is the direction ( weakening ) of the league in the last few years. Here is what the A-10 grades out at for the last 6 years

2017...B

2016...B+

2015....B+

2014....A-

2013....A-

2012....A-

So whether we are a major conf or not there has been some slippage in recent years.

So what does this mean for the Bills next year. Generally when a team  that has a complete makeover ( 5 or more new quality players)  it can move up about 2 letter grades. For the Bills, right now that would project to a B-...Not a post season team...but a team that would move off the bottom to a competitive team. A competitive team means you can beat anybody in your league ( and iit would not be considered an upset)  and be in every game regardless of whether you win or lose. Could we do better than that?   It is possible... a few teams have but it is unusual. A lot of factors have to go right....everyone has to show up...everyone has to gel...everyone has to figure out the system...everyone has to stay healthy.  A lot on the table to finish better than B-.       B- is about equivalent to where Richmond and UMass are today.   I personally would be OK with a B- finish after the last 3 years.of terrible.. It would be a nice stepping stone.

Remember , Ford took an E Ky team that was 7-20 and in a few years had them at 22-9 and in the Big Dance. A team that hadn't had a winning record in over a decade and hadn't been to the Dance in a quarter of a century.

Tick...tick...tick...to a new beginning

Was at the Palestra for Saturday's Big 5 tilt between UPenn and The Martelli's of St. Joe's. I believe it was technically a home game for SJU, but played at UPenn. Interesting setup for the contest, as both schools had their respective pep bands, cheer squads, etc. in attendance. What a place to see a game, though. Was coming up via Washington for work and got to cross the venerable/glorified high school gym off my sports bucket list.

While SJU is a .500 team at the moment, we will have our hands full on 2.25.17 when they come to the Fetz. Charlie Brown is a dynamic slasher and distributor of the rock as a true freshman. A 78-71 final was probably to be expected, given the scrappy play of the Quakers, but the Hawks wore them out towards the end.

If you get a chance to see a game there, get a ticket and go. Really a neat experience with a rich history to boot.

fTIFCqUQTJJ0h4kPY_dqWbhgo2Bu0chuFuEMB7WCS8ytKXCkbR6gFA9uDoJUShUwdauMJ86nrOLx4hZH5aASb4fQEY7b0lSQzfuGk_h0aTlgdy5CeyHn8icfrXkyC-kppsSmi_wjA-kXfsXwKTTriJAWQnh7AgX5R_NzotwHa4rsM5EDdRQM_YWrUiOF4hvsNge4T_nJ2ptzp1YeodPFtHsH52rsVerZgNtnU3o5pIVgicXYz1WXFhlXIsKSTArYZH8_xzp_7wcPrqOKkJxLGLqIkjEImmF9pT_TI2mQTclJcRkD6xvJ97ZdokJbsj5FmGcg7PV2nKD31NUR1TvADFCu-XXJbsL5RD0D9NTKSBvYLs1uGFn3l-Zpw2orOYogb6CZcOxUj0r5J_gzAs8WDhScyUSEeEWAXpuG4jDYJ_KvqSmNCwZuvILCLP9t9LnxfirLf_9FAb9CeTY6-_Vo9rKdGrUOpLAqxMl5Kslw6S0YY63dU5fKi-w6mSDz-PJGP70EIshrkOrkBPgqIZyz2FrpiSG9A8oqjlVNKS8ZEEhjySIwQI8kPMFyc8NwoxkazKfCQBCGP5AndjI5CpE7WUcotfpvP6sj8B_tH2XGZqfmqaLTIA=w1295-h971-no

hLJ153o3oJhktBdKDdYncpZzdKKcjWPnXVr5BMEsMSZkWAXnTBq7dEIFCigYGF6VqTAilVFN24dyxXoqCyWatZMfF7ja2LMTeIKAV5BM710s293bPPDDBkT8E3Zd1fX2UNlcvbJJK_dvIQHv6mwWQNg849ukmLYzfzIcT-Wq21r5xp-EQdWfyAEkOrZ67oHZb92bcW6Rjemg14iDMefQC4AIeloVXmS1BJ_wcQBkbsmrBOtsvXPiSE1Z1ngtsIY9IKVuSFZcCGdG5L3WOIg0dmA7Vf0OAmqSL_dVdcrv6umBTSUPUHUMV7zDERKewAxPwRSzmPydBLPMEV_ajTn2s2ixe5kOCKhYFBa5xipF4JkWOP6_BKkp2YigE50vPwG1C6VaH7WrWnNX1Lyo38k_qvtOUU1740bPJJFZQ6ujLbpLJ0zLpupIMAWIEyCVVWXyilrThtXEyHWfUv9iFVWVRTgi6FuU97kJBmFWgXYS7uBpWzvlMLgCOLMXRQMcPck9FIIN4kuVoXqKyvvjJ3fqpt3oWXmR2lkJGGn0C5cC8KDcWgfAJpxa2mn0QkKHCLsxyNKLGCrSu1CnOyyZWZoT6M-W_uKREmaAqxryNqkKnmpAg2gLLckBcw=w729-h971-no

Strange indeed, home of the Penn Quakers but a home game for St. Joe's in this one due to the Big Five quasi-league set-up.  Despite being a "Philly" kid and a east coaster, I have never been there. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Was at the Palestra for Saturday's Big 5 tilt between UPenn and The Martelli's of St. Joe's. I believe it was technically a home game for SJU, but played at UPenn. Interesting setup for the contest, as both schools had their respective pep bands, cheer squads, etc. in attendance. What a place to see a game, though. Was coming up via Washington for work and got to cross the venerable/glorified high school gym off my sports bucket list.

While SJU is a .500 team at the moment, we will have our hands full on 2.25.17 when they come to the Fetz. Charlie Brown is a dynamic slasher and distributor of the rock as a true freshman. A 78-71 final was probably to be expected, given the scrappy play of the Quakers, but the Hawks wore them out towards the end.

If you get a chance to see a game there, get a ticket and go. Really a neat experience with a rich history to boot.

fTIFCqUQTJJ0h4kPY_dqWbhgo2Bu0chuFuEMB7WCS8ytKXCkbR6gFA9uDoJUShUwdauMJ86nrOLx4hZH5aASb4fQEY7b0lSQzfuGk_h0aTlgdy5CeyHn8icfrXkyC-kppsSmi_wjA-kXfsXwKTTriJAWQnh7AgX5R_NzotwHa4rsM5EDdRQM_YWrUiOF4hvsNge4T_nJ2ptzp1YeodPFtHsH52rsVerZgNtnU3o5pIVgicXYz1WXFhlXIsKSTArYZH8_xzp_7wcPrqOKkJxLGLqIkjEImmF9pT_TI2mQTclJcRkD6xvJ97ZdokJbsj5FmGcg7PV2nKD31NUR1TvADFCu-XXJbsL5RD0D9NTKSBvYLs1uGFn3l-Zpw2orOYogb6CZcOxUj0r5J_gzAs8WDhScyUSEeEWAXpuG4jDYJ_KvqSmNCwZuvILCLP9t9LnxfirLf_9FAb9CeTY6-_Vo9rKdGrUOpLAqxMl5Kslw6S0YY63dU5fKi-w6mSDz-PJGP70EIshrkOrkBPgqIZyz2FrpiSG9A8oqjlVNKS8ZEEhjySIwQI8kPMFyc8NwoxkazKfCQBCGP5AndjI5CpE7WUcotfpvP6sj8B_tH2XGZqfmqaLTIA=w1295-h971-no

hLJ153o3oJhktBdKDdYncpZzdKKcjWPnXVr5BMEsMSZkWAXnTBq7dEIFCigYGF6VqTAilVFN24dyxXoqCyWatZMfF7ja2LMTeIKAV5BM710s293bPPDDBkT8E3Zd1fX2UNlcvbJJK_dvIQHv6mwWQNg849ukmLYzfzIcT-Wq21r5xp-EQdWfyAEkOrZ67oHZb92bcW6Rjemg14iDMefQC4AIeloVXmS1BJ_wcQBkbsmrBOtsvXPiSE1Z1ngtsIY9IKVuSFZcCGdG5L3WOIg0dmA7Vf0OAmqSL_dVdcrv6umBTSUPUHUMV7zDERKewAxPwRSzmPydBLPMEV_ajTn2s2ixe5kOCKhYFBa5xipF4JkWOP6_BKkp2YigE50vPwG1C6VaH7WrWnNX1Lyo38k_qvtOUU1740bPJJFZQ6ujLbpLJ0zLpupIMAWIEyCVVWXyilrThtXEyHWfUv9iFVWVRTgi6FuU97kJBmFWgXYS7uBpWzvlMLgCOLMXRQMcPck9FIIN4kuVoXqKyvvjJ3fqpt3oWXmR2lkJGGn0C5cC8KDcWgfAJpxa2mn0QkKHCLsxyNKLGCrSu1CnOyyZWZoT6M-W_uKREmaAqxryNqkKnmpAg2gLLckBcw=w729-h971-no

Cool pictures really a neat looking place to play, thank you for sharing.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Cool pictures really a neat looking place to play, thank you for sharing.

You're welcome, CBFan. Had never been to Phila. before, so got in all the historical sights this weekend, including Mass at Old St. Joe's downtown - the oldest Catholic church in Philadelphia. Will have to get to Geno's the next time - was told by a local to try Jimmy G's for cheesesteak and it did not disappoint!