You fire Crews...

Given how the team looks this week, we may be looking at a sub 10 win season. If that happens Crews may be plenty happy to take a buyout. He is more than ready to be retired and may be happy to give up the $$ for an extra year free of work, frustration, and travel to St. Bonaventure

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian is right - why would you retire if you were Crews when you have 2 years left on your contract. Let them fire you and take the money. You are not going to work anywhere else so you have all the leverage.

You "retire" because you lose the support of your bosses, and they were willing to pay you a generous settlement not to work. It happens all the time in all kinds of professions, including coaching. Crews gets two years of this life back, the university gets a discount on their contractual commitment, and everyone gets to walk away on happy terms.

The other thing regarding a coaching change is any other changes in the athletic department. Pestello would need to fire May around Jan 1 in order to get a new athletic director in place by late March. Time is running out on my hope of a new AD hiring a new coach. I don't trust Chris May to lead a search for a new usher for section 200, let alone a new men's basketball head coach.

Hopefully, the admin is on board with this thread, ie Jim Crews has to go. His grace period is over. He's had the opportunity to recruit 3 classes here and has little or nothing to show for it. As stated before, our roster has at the most 5 D1 players, but name one who would be a starter for a top 100 program. So, we are trying to compete in a very good league with a roster of high 250+ RPI talent. Toss in the fact that the x's and o's ain't there either, and you've got one effed up team.

Hire of fire, just find the cheapest way and do it. If we continue to play like we have the last 2 games (give UL a pass), fire him in mid January and start looking for a coach that has the potential to salvage this program. Doesn't matter who the interim guy is, as it's highly unlikely he will be retained unless he takes us to the sweet 16 and wins the COY. God forbid, since it was this staff that beat the bushes to find what the mess we have in our cupboard.

The other thing regarding a coaching change is any other changes in the athletic department. Pestello would need to fire May around Jan 1 in order to get a new athletic director in place by late March. Time is running out on my hope of a new AD hiring a new coach. I don't trust Chris May to lead a search for a new usher for section 200, let alone a new men's basketball head coach.

I don't think May had any say in hiring Crews and doubt he has much actual input on the next hire.

+1

Brutal.

No, of course we are not pleased with the last 2 games, but many of you, especially the "usual suspects", are way out of line, over the top ugly about this matter.

With your approach, about 150 D-1 coaches should be fired, right now.

This is only his second year with his recruits (now sophs & freshmen), still a very young bunch, they have plenty of time to figure it out, gel.

Give him a chance.

Brutal.

No, of course we are not pleased with the last 2 games, but many of you, especially the "usual suspects", are way out of line, over the top ugly about this matter.

With your approach, about 150 D-1 coaches should be fired, right now.

This is only his second year with his recruits (now sophs & freshmen), still a very young bunch, they have plenty of time to figure it out, gel.

Give him a chance.

You must admit the red flags are there.

You must admit the red flags are there.

Sure there is concern but it is too early to get ugly about this matter.

What a surprise MB 73 .the head of the Jim crews fan club is back ...you obviously have not watched the team the past 4 years

Yes, I have, but it seems you haven't understood anything about basketball in the last 4 years.

A source tells us they think Crews will be bought out and we will spend big time money on a new coach after this season. Long way to go but that's the word as of this moment.

Any word on potential targets or strategy? Ie: top young assistant or mid level coach looking for move up in caliber of conference.

does anyone know the going rate for this situation? When I think big money I think a proven coach, possibly a veteran. What do young guns from small conferences usually get?

MVC coaches are anywhere between 300-800k but Marshall is, iirc, in the 2 mill neighborhood. I'd think the A10 is in that MVC range as well.

Some of the guys at really small schools are barely at 100k a year. On top of that they have little budget for assistants and recruiting.

If they are serious about a big time coach, it's going to be over 1 million at least.

You really can't evaluate a recruiting class until the 2nd year. Say whatever you want about red flags being there while Crews was winning back to back outright A10 titles with Majerus' players, but the incoming 2014 freshmen was the first class Crews was able to recruit as the permanent coach.

Bigs can take longer to develop - but your 'star' guards and wings usually identify themselves by this point of their 2nd season...and who of the Reynolds, Roby, Yarbrough, Bartley crop look poised to challenge for all conference recognition?

At points during last season, I'd have said Yarbrough and maybe Bartley for his outside shooting and passing vision...but neither of those guys have progressed and have seemingly regressed.

Roby and Reynolds each bring different things to the table as combo guards, but neither look like the starting point guard of an NCAA tournament team - nor do they look capable of shouldering the offensive load. To me Reynolds is backup who can come in and make things happen in spurts, but so much of his game relies on drawing fouls...he needs to be able to absorb contact and finish because he's not getting those calls against good teams on the road.

Roby is intriguing as I do think he could be part of the rotation on an NCAA tournament team, and I do still like his upside...but offensively I'm not sure he's ever going to be at the level of a primary scorer or playmaker for a good team.

The verdict on Crews hinges on whether that 2014 class can get their sh|t together over the next few weeks and turn in a competitive A10 season.

You really can't evaluate a recruiting class until the 2nd year. Say whatever you want about red flags being there while Crews was winning back to back outright A10 titles with Majerus' players, but the incoming 2014 freshmen was the first class Crews was able to recruit as the permanent coach.

Bigs can take longer to develop - but your 'star' guards and wings usually identify themselves by this point of their 2nd season...and who of the Reynolds, Roby, Yarbrough, Bartley crop look poised to challenge for all conference recognition?

At points during last season, I'd have said Yarbrough and maybe Bartley for his outside shooting and passing vision...but neither of those guys have progressed and have seemingly regressed.

Roby and Reynolds each bring different things to the table as combo guards, but neither look like the starting point guard of an NCAA tournament team - nor do they look capable of shouldering the offensive load. To me Reynolds is backup who can come in and make things happen in spurts, but so much of his game relies on drawing fouls...he needs to be able to absorb contact and finish because he's not getting those calls against good teams on the road.

Roby is intriguing as I do think he could be part of the rotation on an NCAA tournament team, and I do still like his upside...but offensively I'm not sure he's ever going to be at the level of a primary scorer or playmaker for a good team.

The verdict on Crews hinges on whether that 2014 class can get their sh|t together over the next few weeks and turn in a competitive A10 season.

Agree, that's where we are.

Very tired of the "big men take longer to develop" theory. Agbeko, Jolly and Neufeld are all former prep players. Remember Crews' early article this year about recruiting those guys? As is Welmer. Welmer gets a pass of course. But given what I've seen to date from the first three, I am disinclined to believe we can develop traditional big men to the right standard. Another case in point is Manning.

Who teaches our bigs to play? Platt? Bronson? Even our guys who played the game and are now on the bench --- Brown and Cheaney --- were not "big" men. Do we emply a "guest" coach like those 'big men camps" I used to hear about?

I will admit to being as excited about our Crews' six-man class as I was about Majerus' first class, which was also six. But even as freshmen, you saw some good things possible with Reed, Mitchell, and Conklin (to a lesser degree). You also saw promise in Loe, Evans and McCall their freshman year (Majerus' worst record ever). I am not seeing it here and I don't know if its because Crews can't evaluate talent of develop it either.

I doubt any of us realistically saw us beating either Louisville or Wichita State. I had us beating Morehead State. So right now, given the North Florida win, and the Morehead loss, we are plus 1 in my column. But what bothers me most is a lack of development with some seeming to regress and that "emotional psyche" I believe box talked about is rising to the fore it seems. And the sniping where Jolly leaves the bench (not sure that was ever confirmed) and Crews talking bad about the guys in the press (not knowing how to get open and pointing fingers instead of getting to solutions.

Did catch glimpses of the shoe family on the tube last night. Keep giving them hell.

If I may add my two cents worth to this discussion, I think the fate of Crews has not been settled yet, at least not in the mind of the administration. One key factor in their thinking is money. Regardless of what they do about this issue and when they do it, it becomes a matter between spending a lot of money soon (the combined termination of JC and the hiring of someone else will take a considerable amount of money, just in fees, and salaries plus additional costs for searching and interviewing suitable replacements), or letting things go and either deciding later on upon a rapid exit or doing a slow search for a more suitable candidate before taking action. The faster and most expedient they decide their action will be, the more money it is likely to cost overall. Given the fact that SLU is not swimming in endowment money like Harvard or Duke, major budgetary issues like the cost of this decision have to be balanced against the overall budgetary aims. What I mean to say is: where is the money going to come out of? Once they have this answer and decide that it is better to spend the money in getting a new coach rather than doing whatever they were planning to do with this money, then and only then will they be ready to decide to implement and exit and replacement scenario.

From my point of view this is a process that takes time, once it starts going that is. As far as we can determine, this process has not been started yet. In other words, the administration has yet to decide if they want to do something about this situation or not.

So, it is not a matter of anger and dismay that will cause the administration to take action, it is and will have to be a matter of budgetary juggling to make it possible to take action. From my point of view they will not juggle with the budgetary plans until and only until the decision to replace the coach has been reached, and the time frame for this event determined. This is not something that will be done lightly or quickly.

If I may add my two cents worth to this discussion, I think the fate of Crews has not been settled yet, at least not in the mind of the administration. One key factor in their thinking is money. Regardless of what they do about this issue and when they do it, it becomes a matter between spending a lot of money soon (the combined termination of JC and the hiring of someone else will take a considerable amount of money, just in fees, and salaries plus additional costs for searching and interviewing suitable replacements), or letting things go and either deciding later on upon a rapid exit or doing a slow search for a more suitable candidate before taking action. The faster and most expedient they decide their action will be, the more money it is likely to cost overall. Given the fact that SLU is not swimming in endowment money like Harvard or Duke, major budgetary issues like the cost of this decision have to be balanced against the overall budgetary aims. What I mean to say is: where is the money going to come out of? Once they have this answer and decide that it is better to spend the money in getting a new coach rather than doing whatever they were planning to do with this money, then and only then will they be ready to decide to implement and exit and replacement scenario.

From my point of view this is a process that takes time, once it starts going that is. As far as we can determine, this process has not been started yet. In other words, the administration has yet to decide if they want to do something about this situation or not.

So, it is not a matter of anger and dismay that will cause the administration to take action, it is and will have to be a matter of budgetary juggling to make it possible to take action. From my point of view they will not juggle with the budgetary plans until and only until the decision to replace the coach has been reached, and the time frame for this event determined. This is not something that will be done lightly or quickly.

Isn't the endowment over $1 billion? Not like Harvard but let's not pretend it's lower than it is