Why is the Big East and Fox holding out on expansion?

My guess is they are holding out for a legit chance to add Notre Dame as one of the two expansion teams. Sounds crazy, but here is my reasoning. The ACC isn't going to last as it is structured today. Clay Travis had a column about the Maryland lawsuit and the problems facing the ACC the other day. Here is a link to the column, http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-acc-and-marylands-lawsuit-is-getting-nasty.php . Fox is making a major play for the Big Ten media rights. Fox is already a founding partner on the Big ten Network.

If Fox lands the Big Ten and the Big Ten further poaches the ACC (killing the ACC that ND partnered with), Fox can offer the Notre Dame everything it wants. It can give Notre Dame a spot in the Big East keeping it's football program independent, it can offer ND a scheduling partnership with the Big Ten for football, it can give them a presence on the east coast, a presence in the southeast if the Big Ten poaches the ACC, and still allow ND to keep their NBC deal for home football games.

My guess is they are holding out for a legit chance to add Notre Dame as one of the two expansion teams. Sounds crazy, but here is my reasoning. The ACC isn't going to last as it is structured today. Clay Travis had a column about the Maryland lawsuit and the problems facing the ACC the other day. Here is a link to the column, http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-acc-and-marylands-lawsuit-is-getting-nasty.php . Fox is making a major play for the Big Ten media rights. Fox is already a founding partner on the Big ten Network.

If Fox lands the Big Ten and the Big Ten further poaches the ACC (killing the ACC that ND partnered with), Fox can offer the Notre Dame everything it wants. It can give Notre Dame a spot in the Big East keeping it's football program independent, it can offer ND a scheduling partnership with the Big Ten for football, it can give them a presence on the east coast, a presence in the southeast if the Big Ten poaches the ACC, and still allow ND to keep their NBC deal for home football games.

I'm by no means an expert, but my understanding was that in the post BCS world most bowl games except the semifinal and championship games would be based on pre-determined conference affiliations. The 2nd place SEC team would play the 2nd place Big 12 team and things like that. Notre Dame has negotiated something where they can replace any ACC team in one of these bowls as long as their record is within one win of the ACC team they are replacing.

Based on this, I think Notre Dame has to have some sort of conference football association. If the ACC falls apart I would see them trying to strike a similar deal with the Big 10 or Big 12. I really don't see how Notre Dame could go back to truly being a football independent in this world. Hence, no Big East.

I'm by no means an expert, but my understanding was that in the post BCS world most bowl games except the semifinal and championship games would be based on pre-determined conference affiliations. The 2nd place SEC team would play the 2nd place Big 12 team and things like that. Notre Dame has negotiated something where they can replace any ACC team in one of these bowls as long as their record is within one win of the ACC team they are replacing.

Based on this, I think Notre Dame has to have some sort of conference football association. If the ACC falls apart I would see them trying to strike a similar deal with the Big 10 or Big 12. I really don't see how Notre Dame could go back to truly being a football independent in this world. Hence, no Big East.

I think if Fox gets the Big 10 that they could offer them a deal where they get something similar with the Big Ten while letting them keep the viel of football independence and putting them in the Big East. Let's face it, the networks are actually calling the shots. If Fox lands the Big Ten this set up would strengthen two of its properties. It would help build up the Big East which it is already heavily invested in, give them a few ND football games a year, give them a more marketable Big East vs. Big Ten basketball event for the non con, and it would all hurt ESPN in the process.

Another possibility to consider though is that the cable sports bubble pops. Any number of things could cause that but the biggest would be a la carte cable. The rise of higher speed internet and streaming, people dropping cable, etc could also cause it to pop. I'm not sure what would happen to some of these conference affiliations at that point because the model would be a lot less profitable making the geography a little more important.

An interesting site to spend 30 seconds on..

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/

As much as we may not want to believe this, it is quite possible that the BE just doesn't really want to or feel the need to expand anytime soon. Everyone on this board starts these conversations with the assumption that the BE wants to expand, and then tries to figure out why SLU hasn't been invited yet. I know this is not what everyone wants to hear, but there may never be an expansion of the BE.

As much as we may not want to believe this, it is quite possible that the BE just doesn't really want to or feel the need to expand anytime soon. Everyone on this board starts these conversations with the assumption that the BE wants to expand, and then tries to figure out why SLU hasn't been invited yet. I know this is not what everyone wants to hear, but there may never be an expansion of the BE.

I hate to agree with you, but you have a point. If they wanted 12, 14, or 16, why didn't they start with that?

Not counting on SLU getting an invite. I think if ND is really who they are holding out for, it makes it far less likely SLU ever gets in for three reasons. The first is obvious, it only leaves one spot instead of two available. The second, if Fox could deliver ND it would probably make the existing Big East members more open to any Fox preferences for non institutional fits for the 12th spot. The third, the Big East won't expand unless ND is one of the teams added.

The last one is what I am starting to feel is the case.

Providence

Villanova

Xavier

Creighton

Someone check my math. Isn't that 4?

I forgot the play-in game participant Xavier. It's like they were never really in the real Tournament, but if you want to count it, ok. ;) Still, 6-4, A-10.

I forgot the play-in game participant Xavier. It's like they were never really in the real Tournament, but if you want to count it, ok. ;) Still, 6-4, A-10.

To further that, the A-10 will be splitting 10 NCAA Units this year while the Big East splits 6.

Why would the BE not expand if seemingly every other conference has? It would seem to be inevitable.

To tie this back to the original post, I'd be pretty surprised if they aren't expanding because they are waiting on Notre Dame. Its a total long shot and I really don't see it happening. Even if it did happen, they could always expand to one extra team and play with 13. There is no rule that you have to have an even number

To tie this back to the original post, I'd be pretty surprised if they aren't expanding because they are waiting on Notre Dame. Its a total long shot and I really don't see it happening. Even if it did happen, they could always expand to one extra team and play with 13. There is no rule that you have to have an even number

I agree. I'm not sure why ND is a factor. They could go to 12 now and if by chance ND becomes available, like you said go to 13 or add a 14th, which is a good number for a lot of leagues.

I agree. I'm not sure why ND is a factor. They could go to 12 now and if by chance ND becomes available, like you said go to 13 or add a 14th, which is a good number for a lot of leagues.

Why didn't they go to 12 in the first place then? I think they want it to feel exclusive. I don't think it makes sense myself, but they sure to give that feeling. It cost them 6 NCAA credits this year they would have had if they went to 12 originally with SLU and Dayton.

Just wait until they start adding up the expenses of the spring sports, and that just might get their attention. Providence sending BB and SB teams to Omaha and vice versa. Add in Lacrosse, track, golf, etc they might wake up and say we need two divisions. Ten teams w/ one an extreme outlier makes no sense, especially when they're flying over two good athletic programs.

I think 72 means that in order to get to play for a national title you have to be in a conference since the playoff set up is structured by conferences only so being independent would not work.

And Littlebill was mocking 72's improper use of the apostrophe, indicating the "conference" was in possession of something. A something which Littlebill was asking to be identified by asking "all about the conference's what?"

I hate to say this, but more and more it appears that Fox has a significant interest in making money and having increased viewership. They are really not interested in running the Big East or any other leagues, period. Fox has its own internal issues that will remain its own issues, much of this will never reach public knowledge. The Big East on the other hand may or may not be interested in expansion, this depends on what the members decide they want. If they decide expansion is the way to go, they will do so and Fox will probably be happy with it. If they decide not to do so they will not do so and Fox will likewise be happy with it. If Fox becomes unhappy with the Big East they will let them and everyone else know of their unhappiness by taking any number of actions. it is not clear in the least that Fox or the Big East after a single rather poor season are really trying to fix things up by expanding the league. We will find out in due time.