A&M Tourney

kshoe

I am curious as to people's realistic goals for this tourney. Personally, I'll be happy if we go 2-1 with a decent showing against A&M.

If my memory serves me right we haven't won one of these exempt tourneys not held at our place since 86-87 when Bonner was a freshman and they went to Hawaii.

Tourneys I can remember and the results:

04-05 Paradise Jam 1-2 against terrible competition

00-01 in Hawaii 1-2

97-98 0-3 with Hughes albeit against 3 good teams (Syracuse, iowa St and Arkansas)

95-96 1-1 in Hawaii with Jamal Johnson leading us to a win vs. LSU

Yes, our past history shouldn't matter for this year's team but if somebody offered me 2-1 guaranteed I'd take it and be done.

Not sure how realistic it is, but I expect to win out. Good teams BEAT good teams on the road. Anything less than 2-1 is a disappointment, but if this team wants to be put on the map, we need to beat A&M. If we're 4-0 next monday, we will certainly have given people something to talk about nationally.

>I am curious as to people's realistic goals for this

>tourney. Personally, I'll be happy if we go 2-1 with a

>decent showing against A&M.

>

>If my memory serves me right we haven't won one of these

>exempt tourneys not held at our place since 86-87 when

>Bonner was a freshman and they went to Hawaii.

>

>Tourneys I can remember and the results:

>04-05 Paradise Jam 1-2 against terrible competition

>00-01 in Hawaii 1-2

>97-98 0-3 with Hughes albeit against 3 good teams (Syracuse,

>iowa St and Arkansas)

>95-96 1-1 in Hawaii with Jamal Johnson leading us to a win

>vs. LSU

>

>Yes, our past history shouldn't matter for this year's team

>but if somebody offered me 2-1 guaranteed I'd take it and be

>done.

Were we 1-2 or 2-1 in Vegas during the 01-02 season? I think it was 1-2 as we lost to SIU in the first game, beat Hartford(?), and lost to Iowa State. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

which is real bad since we went.

Lost to SIU at home, beat Hartford, lost to Iowa St. then beat G-Tech in the last game. Later in the year we lost to G-Tech by 20 something on our home court in an ABC televised game.

That tourney also had SIU playing Illinois in the championship and losing by only a bucket.

i totally agree we have to win the first two. personally i will be disappointed if we lose to a&m as well. if we want to make this schedule work for us, we have to win as many of these rpi games as possible. not just play them.

this team is good enough to play with any team in the country. we need to win.

I think the big problem for us will be 3 games in 3 days. If we can win the first two and not completely exhaust our big 3 then I see us with a chance against A and M. BUT!!! Just like Arizona--which many pundits said is a top 5 team--learned this week when they lost to Virginia on the road it is extremely difficult to beat a high ranked team on the road--and Virginia was not even ranked.

I know I risk being criticized as wanting a 'mediocre" team and a "meidocre" season but if we can win the first two I will be happy and then will get greedy and want to beat A and M but I will not expect to win that game. From a recognition standpoint it would be a good game to win. What will really be interesting is the fact that under normal circumstances one team will not be able to "scout" another in person but both teams will be able to see the opponent play two games. Kansas is incredibly loaded with talent and many think A and M may give them a run for the Big 12 title. Let's hope we really shoot the ball well and give them all they can handle.

Pray we don't lose to the lower tier team...ala Paradise Jam. That will be toooo frigging depressing. I'm already depressed enough over the Giants miserable showing against the Bears. I agree w/ Broy, if this is truly a dance team, we have the potential to take them. Will we? Who knows. But if we do lose by a small margin, let's not have any "moral victory" or "Dr. feel good" posts from the UBBKAC'ers, ok? Most of us are sick of moral victories. MV's don't mean squat and don't get you dancing. This team has to go into the game thinking we're gonna kick your Aggie a**es. Not we hope we can stay with you and keep it close until the end. If we lose, does it matter if it's by 20 or 1 in overtime. Still an L and the team learns something either way. We gotta lot of work to do to get over the hump.

I doubt we go undefeated ... I'll be shocked if we beat A&M on the road. It's not impossible, we will have to play well along with them having an off night ... but they will be heavily favored and will probably win. I know ... how dare I accept such mediocrity. I'm what's holding the Bills back, me and other fans like me. I should demand this win and hold someone accountable if we lose.

Of course it matters if we lose by 20 or by 1 in overtime. We are looking to grow as a team. Sorry but imo ... I would like to win of course, but losing by 1 in overtime will be much better than getting blown out.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of Slu72's bid to join the Billiken Blue Kool Aid Club

Skip, I will hold you personally responsible if we lose. That is the thought process that is that has been holding back this program since the sixties. It has nothing to do with the people running the program and the university for the last 50 years. It is fans like you who have been holding it back. How dare you and others stay fans during all the crap the team has made its fans endure since the seventies. It is all the fans fault. Did I get that right Bernie?

No...no....no....Skip. Jeez, I agreed w/Broy. We should not be afraid of going toe to toe w/ these guys or anyone else. Not have an attitude of playing it close to the vest so the score's respectable. I'll stand by my statement, it doesn't matter if it's by 20 or 1. A loss is a loss is a loss. I know you UBBKAC'ers will be on here if we lose by 1 saying how proud...how wonderful...a moral victory really...gave it the old college try (which should be assumed every game), blah blah blah blah. This is the attitude that has us mired in the swamp of mediocrity. I hope they don't lose by 20 either, but it doesn't make a whole lot of difference what the spread is. They need to jump the fence and beat one of these ranked teams. Look at Zaga last year. Again, close but no cigar and we go like the next 10 games w-l-w-l-w-l...Beat Zaga and what happens? A whole new mind set. The days of us reveling in a close game against a biggie have to end sometime. Why not at College Station? Go Bills....kick some Aggie Butt.

The problem is to beat a team like A&M on the road, you have to beat them by 10 or 12, because your not going to get any calls. Just like Gonzaga and North Carolina last year.

Only a few teams make the transition from OK to really good. Would Marquette have done it if Wade only stayed one year? If Wade left after one year and Hughes stayed for a couple more years, might we have made the jump? Personally, I think so.

Lacking a star player, it takes years to develop a solid program, able to compete year after year with the top programs. Creighton and Gonzaga are 2 that began their process without great players, but strung together consistently improving years. Let's see how this year plays out and see if we aren't making the same kind of progress.

By the way, if you don't think things are better today than in the 70's, you didn't attend many games back then.

Yeah, I was at that game in the crummy old Bradley building. It looked like an airplane hanger. We could have won that game too, but didn't get a few calls at the end. Louisville went on and won the next day for the conference title, if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure that was in 71.It was OK for a couple of more years, then headed south quick!

Do nothing...it's a loss. Say nothing....it's a loss. Analyze why we lost...but don't go all ga ga if it's close and say "a moral victory!" Also, don't despair and say we suck if we lose by 20 and toss in the towel. They will have learned something either way. Now, if we win, crack open a cold one, smile broadly, thump your chest and scream..."Now, that's what I'm talking about!"

I didn't say go gaga if we lost ... but I will understand and accept it. Right now they are probably the better team. Doesn't mean we can't win ...

If we lose by 20 and it looks like we threw in the towel ... I'll be very disapointed with that. There is a difference between fighting hard and losing by 1 than throwing in the towel and losing by 20.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of Slu72's bid to join the Billiken Blue Kool Aid Club