Scottrade and SLU ticket people are hideous

diggerphelps

Ok, so I went to get a ticket at the "SLU" window, and some sophomore punk kid tells me I can't get a ticket at the window with my SLU ID and that I "have to get them on campus." Who the fuc* are you, kid? I've always been able to get my tickets the day of the game if I can't make it to West Pine. This is unheralded, unprecedented and just totally typical of the kind of bullshi* that SLU dishes out to people who want to support a fledgling program.

Fortunately, two kind souls gave away their extra tickets to me and my friend, and we were able to watch the Bills go to 1-0, 29 wins away from an unblemished regular season.

But really, what is the deal? If that glass wasn't bulletproof, I would have shot that kid in the head. I was steaming mad at that SOB.

Someone better have a dam* good excuse as to why I can't get my tickets at the window anymore. This kind of treatment is making me want to give up on the Billikens all together.

Yeah, the HumpShuttle had to stop off at Clark by the bar there. Who cares, we got to the game right before the rap started playing. Also, hats off to Diane and the Blue Crew. I was impressed with the turnout for Quincy -- very impressed. With the student body at home for the UNC game, I'm trying to recruit an alumni core to fill in the student section...I believe the quote was "Once a Blue Crewer, always a Blue Crewer?"

Go Bills Go

With regards to getting your ticket with your student id at the game, the policy changed last year. The 2004-2005 season, I, too, was able to just show my id at the Savvis and get my ticket. However, last year they changed policy and you had to get your ticket at West Pine. The same rule is in effect this year as well. Have another student get you a ticket and leave it for you at will call if you can't take all of 1 minute to stop in and show them your id and get your ticket. Pretty simple stuff.

are you talking about a student ticket? Why would you be able to get a student ticket without a student ID? Do they keep a list of all students at the window to look you up?

I'm not being as a$$ ... just curious

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of Slu72's bid to join the Billiken Blue Kool Aid Club

Add my thanks to Diane and the Blue Crew, also. You are doing a great job. Diane, you are showing very good leadership skills. It will get even better as the season goes on. I only hope that you don't get more and more trouble from the Scottrade security staff.

Thanks for the kind words :) I'd hoped the BLUE CREW turn-out would have been better at the Quincy game, but in general there is such a buzz within the CREW right now with us having more inter-BLUE CREW events and people really getting to know one another. The craziness of putting together our "BLUE CREW Families" have definitely paid off thus far.

Now if only we could watch away games.......

The Scottrade security people left us alone this last game, but I'm sure they'll be on our case again soon.

Also with the student tickets: I talked to the old Associate Athletic Director Devin Crosby last year about making student tickets available with a SLU ID at the box office in Scottrade, and they thought about it, but decided not to do it...students must come to the Billiken Ticket Office 2 business days before the game to get tickets. I was in the lobby of West Pine Gym for about 1.5 hours on Saturday afternoon, and there must have been 20 kids that came in who wanted to get tickets for the game, but the office was closed. I think for an AD that wants so badly for students to come to games, if they are not going to give them the option to pick up tickets in the SLU Ticket Office the day of the game, then it is only right to offer them in Scottrade itself. I see absolutely no harm in that, and Devin last year didn't see much either, but they all ended up deciding not to do it...something about it would be too complicated I think.

Realistic Billiken will give the real story:

Leave it to SLU's phenomenal marketing department to botch ticketing like this. While I don't find much fault in the Scott not having tickets, there is no doubt that the ticket window on SLUs campus should be opened the day of the game. I would say, outside of Blue Crew, 90% of students don't decide to attend a SLU game until the day of. If SLU's AD and marketing department was more in tune with what the pulse of the student body actually was, maybe they'd keep the ticket window open day of.

Furthermore, SLU needs to have more then one little chalk board sitting in front of the West Pine Gym advertising games. We need banners in the BSC, Gries, and other hot spots throughout campus.

Also, why does SLU continue to schedule huge home games over Christmas break?!?! (North Carolina this year and Gonzaga last year). The only game that would truely pack the Scott happens when all the students are home. We need to reevaluate this problem and correct it. A marquee home game in front of a packed student section (ala Marquette a few years ago) is a huge draw on the student body. Get with it SLU marketing!

>Also, why does SLU continue to schedule huge home games over

>Christmas break?!?! (North Carolina this year and Gonzaga

>last year). The only game that would truly pack the Scott

>happens when all the students are home. We need to

>reevaluate this problem and correct it. A marquee home game

>in front of a packed student section (ala Marquette a few

>years ago) is a huge draw on the student body. Get with it

>SLU marketing!

Television drives the scheduling of big games like this. Television doesn't care how many students will be able to see the games; they care about how much advertising they can sell. This one is not SLU's fault.

>Yup, great move by SLU to schedule a game on the big ESPN U

>station instead of actually promoting it during a time when

>students will actually be able to fill the student section.

>Brilliant.

About 50% of the school lives in the St. Louis area. Let's not make another excuse as to why SLU students can't make a bball game.

Your right RB, it is stupid to try to get on any of the ESPN networks. I guess you can get to much national exposure. I know there always seems to be something to ***** about as a Billiken fan, but this is really pushing it. Hell the game is going to be a sell out. If the students who live here decide not to go its their fault.

are the band and students going to stay switched permanently? Pretty good student body turnout for such a non Div 1 game-great to see the kids making an effort; when I went there

I thought BB tickets and student price tickets at the symphony were two of the real bargains

if you had a date.

Did you just threaten to shoot someone for not giving you a ticket to a SLU basketball game?

I love SLU but keep things in perspective that is an outrageous comment.

I do agree that student tickets should be given away at the games. I have been left tickets by a pleyer in the past and you can pick those up at a SLU table at the game why. The same two people working that table should give tickets to students. The two day in advance rule is terrible. No one decides what to do on a FRI or SAT night until late (generally unless there is a party).

espnu ... is on direct

The students can't get to Savvis for a game ... that is ridiculous. I hate all the coddling of the students. With the history SLU has of students attending games ... they should only earmark about 300 of them for students. Hell there were as many alumni at Billiken madness as there were students and it was on campus and had huge giveaways. I don't understand.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of Slu72's bid to join the Billiken Blue Kool Aid Club

i wonder why the illini and mi$$ouri play the week before xmas as well? god, no one goes to that thing either with it being after the semester ends.

The Illini and Mizzu have an exponentially larger fan base then the Billikens. Hell, we are the only dance in town and we still only draw 6,000 fans. Maybe with a few wins, that total will increase, but the problem with SLU attendence isn't adults, its students.

I've gone to every single Billiken game for the past 4.5 years as a student, and I have been severely disappointed by the turnout and blame it squarely on the SLU athletic department (whether it be problems with the busses, scheduling, etc.). The only game that could actually attract students won't, because no students will be there. There is a large contingent of SLU fans that don't live in St. Louis who won't be able to see the game and that is a shame.

At some point, you have to point the finger not at the students, but at the scheduling department who will give into any demand that an ACC or SEC school wants. If we want to be a top flight program (maybe we will with this new arena), we can't be the whipping boy of the larger confrences, scheduling high profile non-conference game at the whim of the bigger, more prominant school.