Blue-White Game this Saturday

Box and Won

now this is a scenario we should be ripping our own athletic dept. for example, who is playing in the alumni game? we have no idea and this game is just 3 days away? why dont we know this? personally, i think that is the draw to this event. a good return of old stars would almost insure a nice crowd.

it is a horrible job. let's say that claggett, highmark, love for starters are part of the alumni group. i can tell you that i would do all i can to get to that game just to shake hands with these old stars and watch them play.

watching our current team scrimmage is nice, but anyone can go down to practice and see that.

yet we know nothing about the event basically other than the flyer that was sent out weeks ago.

i dont get that.

I do not know much about the details but I would bet, knowing a lot of the former players personally, that they won't know until the game starts who is actually going to show up and play. I do not mean this as a rip against those guys--they all have a lot of things going in their lives so planning to play in a game may take a back seat to family or other obligations. I know, and have played against, most of those guys and although it would be interesting to see them play, in my opinion, my only reason to come out on Sat is to see our team play in a scrimmage and see the new guys. You can go to the MAC or other leagues and see the guys who are still young enough to play at a decent level.

"I would bet, knowing a lot of the former players personally, that they won't know until the game starts who is actually going to show up and play."

Isn't there an RSVP process that can be used for just this reason?

I echo the sentiments above, pretty poor execution on the marketing front in this case.

My point is that I am sure they have a group of names of people who have said they will play and they hope they will all show up but a lot can change in a week or even a few days. If the athletic dept. touted a player and then that player did not show up then people on this board would blast the dept for not living up to its promos.

What is confusing to me is why there is so much talk about a meaningless game between old players who, for the most part, are not even close to the players they were when they played for the Bills. In my view, maybe a minority, we should focus on this year's team and cheer them on. If an old timers game can help build the crowd that is fine with me but the main attraction should be this years Billikens.

Control what you can control. Nice job.

I know its somewhat far-fetched but what do you think would happen in Chapel Hill if Jordan, Worthy, Perkins, Carter, May, Ford, Cunningham, and others showed up? Do you think Jordan is anywhere near what he used to be? Maybe. How about Perkins? While Billikan is right in that it would/should serve to promote the new team, it would also established ties between the old and the new. Fans could cross over generations and ties that bind could be built. I would think that in a small school setting like Saint Louis University, the ties that bind are much like family and family would seem to be a very important ingredient in getting all this going in the right direction. Just a thought.

Maryland just had a controlled scrimmage with its current team. Five-on-five. Full court. Four ten-minute quarters. Guys changing teams between quarters. Open to the public. The only "name" on the Maryland roster is DJ Strawberry. A "name" for reasons other than basketball. Attendance: 16,000 PAYING customers in a 17,000 seat arena. An orchestrated event. Did you know that the starting backcourt for the Terps is a pair of freshmen this year? Strawberry goes from the point to a three. Of enough interest in the greater DC area to drawn 1K short of a regular season sellout. Hmmm.

respectively billikan, what is the difference between this scrimmage and a scrimmage any night at west pine?

if i am on a late afternoon business apt in st louis, it is a piece of cake to stop off at west pine to watch practice on my way home, however a saturday in the middle of the afternoon to ask my family to give up their time for another practice scrimmage is another question. i doubt i would do that if they want to do something else.

for example this saturday, my daughter is pitching in chesterfield in a huge tourney. if i know that there is something special about this event other than our team scrimmaging against each other, i bust my butt to get there between games. however, if all i know is it is another scrimmage, sorry, i am at the ball park in chesterfield.

the alumni players would be something different. certain players would entice me to come back for nostalgia reasons. i'd try to figure out getting there for a player or player that we havent seen for awhile and holds special meaning to the billiken fandom. but if they cant get firm enough commits to even tell us that, then i am not too excited about getting there to watch practice when i can watch practice some other nite(s) when nothing else is going on.

I'll be there for at least the scrimmage, possibly the Alumni game. If I knew who was playing in the Alumni game, I'd make more of an effort. For example ... I would show up just to see Marque, Jeff Harris, or Justin Love.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Noiw you have made me really mad again. You called Clagget and Highmark old stars. It seems like they were just here a couple of years ago. What is even harder to believe is that it seems like guys like Bevo,and Easy Ed played just a couple of years ago. I guess I am really getting old. All I can say is I am ready for this year, I think we are a year away from being good but this is going to be a fun year. At least someday you will be calling Tommy and Kevin old stars.

Let's toss it up and play some hoops.

It is just a matter of perspective. I agree that if your daughter has a big game than it is hard to go to a scrimmage. I am excited because I have not yet been able to get to practice other than Billiken Madness and if history is any lesson, practice is different than a formal scrimmage because there are referees and so blatant fouls will be minimized. I have played a lot with Duff, Luck, Troy Robertson and guys of that ilk so it is no big deal for me to see them play. If they go to the real old timers, I played with them years ago and none of them can play a lick anymore.

I am sure it will be an interesting afternoon.

iggy, a hughes vs mccauley one on one match would settle once and for all who is the greatest billiken ever. ;-)