All Star featuring MU recruits - STL Post this morning

Nice to know the All-star game tonight will feature two MU recruits.

I guess no SLU recruits are worth mentioning?

They at least list Maguire as a player but couldn't even put SLU in parenthesis?

Come on Nate! We are all big fans of yours.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iread it to and thought the same thing. The article was by Nate. That is not the norm from him. I'm curious as to why.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

>I trust that both the SID and Cheryl will be on the phone

>first thing Monday morning to both the sports editor and the

>editor in chief to point out this inconsistency in coverage.

>Or not.

There was very little information available about this game, so there was no sure way to know who was playing in this game and who was not. You never know who is going to show to events like this, so I did not want to put out a story with inaccurate info.

The University of Missouri sent out a press release stating that their two recruits were playing, so I felt it was safe to use that info.

- Nate

Nate, when I saw your article this morning I would have wagered that you submitted a more detailed article and that your effort was edited to fit the space available. Evidently, what I read is what you submitted.

I think the P-D did a shabby job in not mentioning what colleges Moosmann, Bobby Hill, Dustin, etc., would be attending in the Fall. Also, I don't recall the article stating that Moosmann and Watts shared the P-D's 2006 POY award.

Overall, a weak effort by the P-D. While I'm disappointed, I'm not surprised!

dj is still a mi$$ouri grad, alumni and active booster.

while he lost confidence in $nyder, he is all over the anderson bandwagon and thus wants to make sure the tigers look good in his "allstar" game.

there has never been a shread of support from johnson for the billikens.

my favorite dj all star act was making horton's dad the "special guest" coach whereas he could pay all his "expenses" to the game. of course the next season horton's son was the top tiger recruit. that all seemed right.

Is it possibly that Dustin McGuire played in the Illinois Basketball Coaches All-Star game, two game featuring a North - South game for both AA and A? This game was played tonight @Illinois Wesleyan at the Shirt Center in.....Bloomington?

Illinois recruit Brian Carlwell was scheduled to play at the DJ game and he instead opted for the IBCA game.

I'll check the Peoria, Springfield and Bloomington papers tomorrow and look for a report.

Here is who played for the St. Louis area squad last night:

Bill Brandenberg, Kirkwood

Eric Harris, East St. Louis

Marquis Jones, Ritter

Roderick Pearson, Raytown South

Brian Roach, Vashon

Jeremy Sharpe, CBC

Mo Smith, Hazelwood Central

Justin Taylor, Webster Groves

James Washington, Vashon

Sanijay Watts, Jennings

There are some decent players, but this is not a good representation of the best players in St. Louis from this past season. Watts and Washington were first-team all-metro picks, but the others were not.

The national all-star team included the two Mizzou recruits, Lawrence and J.T. Tiller, as well as one Illinois recruit (Richard Semrau) and three U. Alabama-Birmingham recruits.

There were no SLU recruits in the game. Both Maguire and Knollmeyer backed out, as did several St. Louis area kids for various reasons.

- Nate

Here's a little recap from another board.

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-...message=3636384

3 things lost from last night

1) If Keon's shot doesn't fall, then Howard Crawford is the MVP. He may have been the best player on the floor both offensively and defensively. He's the one going to UAB but he's got MAD game

2) Floyd IRONS is a damn good coach. Damn good. His press and swarming defense erased a 15 pt deficit and damn near pulled out a win. He was subbing by the 4s and 5s and kept players fresh. He took a bunch of kids going to Div II schools and almost beat a bunch of Div I highly rated recruits

3) Keon was rated 3*. Rememeber McKinney was a 3* and scored 41 pts in this game in '02, 6 more than K-Law. While he had a nice career, many times he played like a 3* player. It just makes me wonder and amaze if K-Law is 3*, then the 4* kids going to say Illinois or the 5* players Kansas, UNC, Ohio State have coming in are THAT much better.

http://showmesportsonline.com/

>Here is who played for the St. Louis area squad last night:

>

>Bill Brandenberg, Kirkwood

>Eric Harris, East St. Louis

>Marquis Jones, Ritter

>Roderick Pearson, Raytown South

>Brian Roach, Vashon

>Jeremy Sharpe, CBC

>Mo Smith, Hazelwood Central

>Justin Taylor, Webster Groves

>James Washington, Vashon

>Sanijay Watts, Jennings

>

>There are some decent players, but this is not a good

>representation of the best players in St. Louis from this

>past season. Watts and Washington were first-team all-metro

>picks, but the others were not.

>

>The national all-star team included the two Mizzou recruits,

>Lawrence and J.T. Tiller, as well as one Illinois recruit

>(Richard Semrau) and three U. Alabama-Birmingham recruits.

>

>There were no SLU recruits in the game. Both Maguire and

>Knollmeyer backed out, as did several St. Louis area kids

>for various reasons.

>

>- Nate

For the guys above, here are the schools they'll be attending

Bill Brandenburg, (CBC in Memphis)

Eric Harris, I'm not sure of

Marquis Jones, UM Rolla

Roderick Pearson, SEMO

Brian Roach, Cowley CC

Jeremy Sharpe, Rollins

Mo Smith, Western Illinois

Justin Taylor, UM Rolla

James Washington, Western Illinois

Sanijay Watts, Cowley CC

>Western, Rolla, Cowley....boy this doesn't look like a lot

>of top competition for our signees. It looks like a good

>decision to back out of this game for our kids.

Don't forget those powerhouse schools "I'm not sure of" and "Rollins"

You call that an All-Star game? Weak!

the biggest joke of the "all-star" game, both teams wearing what amounted to mi$$ouri uni's. i almost threw up.

It is kind of funny all the SLU Kool-Aid drinkers were bashing Nate for his lack of SLU coverage and then the SLU recruits don't even show up.

How come a recruit going to a St. Louis University would not want to play in this All Star game? This will be his new home for the next four years and it could have been a perfect opportunity to show his respective Billiken boosters his talents against other Major Division 1 talent? What am I missing.

Do you think BS had something to do with their decisions?

you know, the last thing BS needs on the heals of the Stemler fiasco or the O'Rear snub is to have his recruits stink up the joint. And for all who say it was a good decsion to skip the event, I would have preferred our recruits to show up and be THE DIFFERENCE in the game as opposed to being a no show.

maybe he didnt want them to wear the mi$$ouri uniforms that the all star game required. i know i would have to have a gun to my head to put on the ghastly black and gold.

>Western, Rolla, Cowley....boy this doesn't look like a lot

>of top competition for our signees. It looks like a good

>decision to back out of this game for our kids.

Wouldn't our signees have been playing with the local team? The other team has a bunch of high-rated recruits and our local guys took them to the wire and were four seconds from the upset. Our guys can ball.

>>Western, Rolla, Cowley....boy this doesn't look like a lot

>>of top competition for our signees. It looks like a good

>>decision to back out of this game for our kids.

>

>Don't forget those powerhouse schools "I'm not sure of" and

>"Rollins"

>You call that an All-Star game? Weak!

It was a great game where a overmatched local team put everything they had on the floor and nearly got the win. Keon Lawrence was amazing with 34 points and hit the game winner. It was anything, but weak.

>>>Western, Rolla, Cowley....boy this doesn't look like a lot

>>>of top competition for our signees. It looks like a good

>>>decision to back out of this game for our kids.

>>

>>Don't forget those powerhouse schools "I'm not sure of" and

>>"Rollins"

>>You call that an All-Star game? Weak!

>

>

>It was a great game where a overmatched local team put

>everything they had on the floor and nearly got the win.

>Keon Lawrence was amazing with 34 points and hit the game

>winner. It was anything, but weak.

Wow, some guy scored 34 in a scrimmage against players going to schools like Rolla, Cowley, I'm not sure of, and Rollins. Weak! Did people actually pay money to watch that?