Wendell Faines--'07 Recruit

He has been mentioned in the past on this board. He is 6'8" 235 post player at Lincoln Northeast, Nebraska. A list of schools interested from early May was: SLU, Illinois, Wichita St, SIU, N Dakota and S Dakota. Anyway the reason I am mentioning him again is an article about him and one of his AAU teammates, in today's Omaha World Herald, said that he wanted to major in criminal justice. I know in the past we have had several basketball players major in criminal justice, Jeff Harris one that comes to mind. This could be a big selling point to Faines. I am copying and pasting the article since the paper requires a free login now.

LINCOLN - A chance for lifelong pals Tyler McManaman and Wendell Faines to be teammates and make what both call "a serious run" at a Class A state basketball championship will finally happen this winter.

McManaman and Faines will suit up for Lincoln Northeast in the 2006-07 season. McManaman has transferred from Lincoln East. Faines moved over last season from Lincoln North Star.

They will be teammates this summer on the Bison-Nebraska Red team that features 11 of the state's best players ages 17 and under. Red coach Chip Bahe said he already can see that the two are true friends.

"They genuinely like each other a lot," Bahe said. "They also complement each other very well. Tyler's really explosive and has improved his midrange game quite a bit, and that frees up Wendell underneath."

The 6-foot-1 McManaman, who averaged 15.5 points for East last season, will team with the 6-8 Faines to give both the Bison Red and Rockets a formidable inside-outside combination. Both players are looking forward to their next few months as teammates.

"Wendell and I have been friends since we were little kids," McManaman said. "We've gone to different schools because we've lived on different sides of town. He told me he liked Northeast a lot, and we both decided it would be a great place to finish our careers."

Neither player bears any ill will toward his previous school. McManaman said he wanted to do everything he could to win a state championship, while Faines said the chance to work with Steve Bartek at Northeast helps him become a better post player.

"Coach Bartek is a big man coach, and the North Star program was a good program but more for guards," Faines said. "Tyler was getting a little upset about things at East because he wanted to win a state championship. We know each other's game so well, and that will help us build chemistry."

Both players hope to use the summer season to land college scholarships. After playing in the River City Roundup that begins Thursday at UNO, the Red team will travel to tournaments next month in Indianapolis, Louisville, Ky., Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

"I want to go where I can play and get a good education," Faines said. "I know I want to get in a good criminal justice program and eventually get a job where I can help put away pedophiles."

Bison-Nebraska Red roster:

• Junior: Josh Riser, Lincoln High. Seniors: Tyler Petersen, Louisville; Tyler McManaman, Lincoln Northeast; JC Hall, Omaha Bryan; LC Doss, Omaha Benson; Adam Muehling, Millard North; Tyler Horky, Kearney; Mitch Albers, Papillion-La Vista; Sam Blake, Centennial; Dijon Smith, Omaha Bryan; Wendell Faines, Lincoln Northeast. Head coach: Chip Bahe, Millard North. Assistant coach: Clint Hoelscher, Papillion-La Vista.

Josh Fisher and Marque Perry were Criminal Justice majors, too. Playing the academic angle would be beneficial to SLU in this case. You also have to like the fact that the kid has good size to step in as a 4, and that he shows an initiative to take academics seriously (even if his last quote is a little odd).

"I want to go where I can play and get a good education," Faines said. "I know I want to get in a good criminal justice program and eventually get a job where I can help put away pedophiles."

He could also major in communication and eventually take a job on Dateline.

Harrellson is an enigma. He has the potential but he doesn't ever seem to put it together. He is a legit 6'8 250, but he has a definite attitude problem. I would like to seem him show me something this coming season. I'm not sold on him yet, but I don't think Powell is all he is cracked up to be.

1) which schools have contacted Harrelson?

Based on your statement....."he would love to go to SLU".....

2) if he was my son, I would have him call West Pine and express his interest in attending SLU. I would also ask for an honest evaluation

of his game, and particarly ask the coaching staff what parts of his game needs improvement,

3) Harrelson might also consider attending one or two of the SLU summer camps.

-st charles, where harrellson attends, played st charles west twice, which is where ub's son plays, once slu was in hawaii, but i would guess if ub wanted an evaluation he could get one from the scw coach if no one else

-he is a big kid who has only been playing bball a few years

-who is showing interest??

-if slu is not interested then ub knows something we don't on this one would be my take

Wasn't Carlos McCauley a Criminal Justice major also. I may be wrong but I think he went to work for the FBI. Anyine know for sure

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

>Harrellson is an enigma. He has the potential but he

>doesn't ever seem to put it together. He is a legit 6'8

>250, but he has a definite attitude problem. I would like to

>seem him show me something this coming season. I'm not sold

>on him yet, but I don't think Powell is all he is cracked up

>to be.

Bradley thinks Powell is all that he's cracked up to be. They offered him. Who's talent evaluation do you value more, Bradley's or SLU's. I'll go with the Sweet 16 coach on this one.

... 40 and 49 up until last year, an overall winning percentage of .449. In conference, he was even worse at 21-33 or .389 and now because he and the Braves got hot in March, won the MVC tourney and copped two wins in the Tourney, he's suddenly a friggin' genius? Again, I know someone somewhere said tht Powell had an offer from us ... my resposne at that time rings true today, IF that statement is correct, the ball appears to be in Leon's court. I think the real question is why ain't Leon driving to the SLU hoop and not vice-a-versa?

And if I understand ol' Booby Metz on this, we should sign a kid based on a newspaper clipping? Yeah, that makes sense. What happened to all the cries for signing local kids? Lincoln ain't exactly insdie our beloved beltway now , is it? By the way, this makes Vee's 65th recruiting "suggestion" since I started keeping count earlier this summer.

>... 40 and 49 up until last year, an overall winning

>percentage of .449. In conference, he was even worse at

>21-33 or .389 and now because he and the Braves got hot in

>March, won the MVC tourney and copped two wins in the

>Tourney, he's suddenly a friggin' genius?

SIU won the MVC Tourney.

Les inherited a truly horrible situation at Bradley and had the best player on the team stolen away before he could coach a game. What he's done in 4 years at Bradley is amazing.

But then again, only at SLU is what a coach inherited an excuse and only at SLU does it take 5 years to build a winner. 40-49 is bad, but 42-48/60-61 is the sign of greatness.

your wisconsin hatred is showing.

we shall see if bradley follows last season as successfully after losing their surprise kareem abdul-jabbar.

take out last season and look back to the previous seasons for bradley and see if that success translates as well.