Ross v. JJ ... the new rotation

jjray

From reading comments, it does not appear anyone is arguing that the team is harmed by DC getting less minutes under the new rotation (i.e., DC rides the pine). As to JJ, it seems only myself and maybe 3star are advocating that JJ should be getting more minutes than Ross. Is everybody else in favor of Ross taking JJ's minutes or is it just me?

p.s. Voicing a dissent in the new order does not mean you lack faith in your coach. This is just a message board talk so don't respond with the "trust our coach" stuff. We're kicking around opinions so don't hide behind the teacher.

This is the reasoning behind my opinion (mainly a rehash of things already posted):

I have not been to a practice this season so I really can't comment on the effort or lack thereof at practice. During games, I see JJ putting out an effort. He's 6'8" with a long reach, nice hops, and some level of quickness for his size. Occasionally he gets pushed around on the block but, more often than not, his reach allows him to successful deny entry passes down low to his man. On the offensive end, he does not shoot much except for the wide-open jumper (I like the discriminating shot selection) and he has a smooth shot 15 and in. I have even seen him post a guy up about his size down low and score (a rarity but it shows he has the ability). He rotates the ball crisply when taking a pass out high. What I see from Ross is fundamentally sound positional defensive player but slow feet (which leads to fouls as he tends to reach at players as they go by) and a liability on the offensive end other than the fact that he sets solid screens. Besides the past 2 games, I also see a guy who thinks he is an outside shooter but really isn't and a guy who does not know when to give the ball up to the hot hand (apparently he has been disabused of this trait by coach). It is my belief that JJ would be improve with extended minutes whereas Ross looks worse the more he plays as his deficencies are exposed to opposition.

First off, I would love to see JJ play more. He has something that the team lacks. He also lacks some things that the coach requires of players who get big minutes.

Your assumption is wrong in that Ross is taking JJ's minutes. The minutes are open to the player that does what the coach wants done.

Maybe JJ will respond if given playing time, my guess is that he will not. He is still young and will develop some maturity (as all students do in college). He is just not at the intensity level of Drejaj yet.

By the way why did K-State drop him? Maybe coach will start him this weekend? Perhaps a good way for the coach to offer a motivational opportunity to the kid, I will watch his play closely. If that game doesn't get him going, then I don't know what will.

That is a hard question to answer ... because we don't really know why JJ is not playing more. If the answer is as we think it is ( that he does not put out enough effort in practice ) then I say play the guy who gives the most effort. If they are both giving all they have then play the one with the most talent.

Questions for those of you who want to play JJ.... this is assumming the problem is less than his best effort at practice.

You tell JJ he won't play many minutes until he gives his best in practice ... he doesn't get it and doesn't give what you the coach think is his best effort. You play him anyway

All the rest of the players know your standard and see JJ's practice ... they know you aren't very happy with his practice habits but see you have played him anyway ... because he has more skill.

Now RB slacks off in practice ... he has more skill than anyone on the team ... what do you tell him ... of course he needs to practice harder ... now what if he doesn't ... do you play him or sit him.

Next TF is doing the same thing ... how do you handle that?

There is a domino effect. Those who say their isn't are wrong ... sorry but flat out wrong.

The other issue is JJ's development ... how do you inspire him to be the best he can be. Can he achieve that by just playing hard in games and giving less than his best in practice? ... I don't think so.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I saw a number of practices early in the year - I can't say that JJ was lazy - but he often didn't "get it" on defense. He hasn't had the fundamentals pounded into him, and got by with athleticism in HS. Remember how much Luck used to play - and Spoon always said that he picked up things quick in practice - coach's son syndrome. Same for Troy R and DD - they understood what the coach was trying to do and got pt because of it. I doubt JJ ever had the summer camps that emphasized fundamentals. I think he has a big upside - his athleticism and shooting ability speak for themselves. If I were coach, I'd work in both JJ and DC, and use the games as a teaching tool. A little success there might produce a renewal of energy at practice. Still...UB's in charge. I wonder if he'd like me to attend another practice and share my insights with him...;-))

jjray,

I'd also really like to see JJ get minutes, as I think his upside is really strong. However, it is a coaching decision and while it is certainly fine to question Coach Soderberg, bottom line it won't change his mind. Several have preached some patience with the two Frosh, JJ and DC. Rather than get an ulcer over it, that is probably the best advice right now.

I mean there are a lot of ways this can go for the players. Two of several possibilities are they can buy into the system and practice like maniacs and gradually see meaningful minutes, or they can get so frustrated with the coaches that they never improve and perhaps they could even ask to leave. Hopefully, the former will be the course they take rather than the latter. We could use both of their athletcism, but first, they must meet Coach Soderberg's demands.

coach soderberg's comments in the post today all but said, they arent putting out in practice up to the level he demands. so my stance is that if johnson expects to play in the games and play half speed in practice, his performance in the games has to be extraordinary compared to those that are busting it in practice. if you look at the stats, his stats are no better than anyone else. so i commend coach for sitting him.

dont get me wrong, i think justin johnson can be a star. but look at it this way, if he is allowed to muddle through with the effort he is at now, in all likelihood, he never improves. if he finally "gives in" and starts putting out an all out practice and workout effort, who knows he might be the next bonner. i think i can forgo a win or two this season if in the long run justin johnson and darren clarke become "all they can be".