New offer

SLUDrew and others;

For your information, scholastics very definitely enters the picture at SLU. Also at Notre Dame, Duke, Stanford, and Boston College. And lots of schools. I have no clue why this continues to be a point of debate. Sorry but I win this one.

It is simply a fact of life that many athletes will either not get into SLU, or will simply not want to attend a more rigorous school, and that the pool is fairly limited from the get-go. On top of that, you have the Dukes and other top private programs having dibs on a lot of the top guys, seemingly from the start. It simply makes recruiting all that much harder.

It works both ways. There are many amany top athletes who simply have no interest in a Duke or Notre Dame. And those schools simply have no real ability to go after lots of low qualifiers, and generally do not. They might take a chance now and then but often get burned when they do so. I have taught at 2 mammoth Big Ten programs before here, and regularly got athletes who could barely read and write. Those guys would not make it at SLU, plain and simple.

It is terrific when Duke has long-term success at that level with kids who obviously are succeeding academically at that school. It is just as obvious that it is the exception to the rule. You can talk all day about the "same ol' same ol'" regarding scholastics but this is the reality of trying to become a top catholic school let alone the best one (whatever that might actually mean).

Again I truly do not know why this very obvious point gets attacked so predictably on here but since I happen to know this to be true, I thought I would state it as such. I suppose now I will be called arrogant or worse, but there it is. It is simply a pretty big part of a complicated equation--so deal with it. Believe me, Coach S. knows it, and is trying to deal with it.

I wish I could remember the argument that somebody made on here a long time ago about the power of playing basketball for the Billikens because of what it can do for one's career after basketball. I only somewhat agree on the disadvantage of the scholastics at SLU and a student not wanting to put up with a rigorous academic challenge. In some ways that may make it harder, but every school has it challenges in one way or another in regards to recruiting. And, yes there are exceptions to that statement as well. But, there are big advantages to sell about playing at SLU in regards to a player's future.

There was a discussion on here a long time ago that mentioned all the former Billikens that were working in the St. Louis area. There's a lot of perks playing for a team where you are the only D1 school in a pretty large city. Being in a large city means that there are quite a few opportunities once you graduate to network and find a job. A school in a smaller town or city can't say that. A school in a big city where there are other D1 programs can't say that they could offer as much opportunity in regards to a player's future. So, when it comes to scholastics and discussions of graduation rates, etc. I can see the points that are being made. But, I think every school has it's challenges. There are a lot more than just ND, Stanford, Duke and BC that would also have their challenges scholastically and may not provide the advantages that a SLU network could provide.

Bottom line, you sell on your strengths.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with the idea of selling your strengths. And every program has its strengths and weaknesses. Our academics are both, from a recruiting point of view; but the academics should be pitched as strengths to the type of kid we will tend to get.

Personally, if I had a solid D-1 prospect as a son, and was in St. Louis, I would love to have him strongly consider SLU. It is a solid education, it is a pretty stable campus environment, kids here work pretty hard and keep it pretty real, and I could go to the games. Solid coach with real moral fiber. Developing tradition with new on campus arena breaking ground. Excellent young players ahead of me. Great prospects for work after SLU. What's not to like?

thanks for listenin' . . . . .

Then again it's easy for you and I others to see that, but trying to get that across to an 18 year old kid is probably a different ball game.

I'd be curious to see and not sure if there would ever be a way to know, but what percentage of kids that play D1 ball put a big emphasis on education. I would like to think a big %, but I wonder what percentage really strive to play after college whether it being overseas, NBA, CBA, etc. Let's face it, there are a lot of parents aside from the actual players who see that future for their kids and hope for that future for their kids. I would love to know how well the "you got something to fall back" on strategy works when recruiting or if these kids are really looking that far into the future when being recruited.

It seems as though all us naysayers should bow and kiss the ground that BS walks on because he finally is doing his job. Great job Brad in offering a 6'11 kid in your own backyard a schollie. Keep up the good work Brad. Now see if you can get this kid to commit.

i dont think you are being realistic to lump brandenburg in with the likes of griffey and suggs which the billikens indeed did offer even earlier. besides brandenberg does have a billikens offer and he isnt even out of his sophomore year in school.

Once again, everyone has an opinion on a recruit they've never heard about let alone seen play. All this questioning on UB's recruiting is so pointless. The proof will be in the pudding....remember Cranford, Legend 2, how'd that work out? You simply have to grin and bear it when it comes to recruits until they actually play in the games. On the surface DM and AK don't appear to be much of a class, and they're not going to get us mentioned on any Top 50 recruiting lists, but their true worth will only be known after the first tip off. This is UB's livelihood and professional career on the line. If he's recruiting duds or mediocre players, it will show in his record. Then it's time to trash him and get him out of here. As for the Brandenburg vs Beinert argument, how stupid is that? A 6'11 soph vs a 6'2" senior guard? Hello, if Beinert accepts he'll have had a year of D1 ball under his belt. What if, God Forbid, Brandenburg suffers an Obi type injury? Then whose more valuable....point being way to early to judge recruits. Let UB do his job and build his team. If it goes the way it has his first four years, then it's hasta la vista baby.

talk about on this board during the offseason if they can't talk about future recruits?

Maybe we could get another discussion of Ahearn vs. Clarke going, or a discussion about how bad the A-10 refs are, or what a great season we had last year, or how overated the RPI is.

i thnk as billsboys has told us many times, none of us are qualified to talk about anything because we didnt play division one ball and coach division one ball like he did.

what we should do is change the format to one where we ask billsboys questions and he wisely gives us the right and only answers.

>i agree with skip drew. cant win in your eyes. last week

>it was all about why we wait to offer. slu should be

>finding recruits early and offering scholarships before

>everyone else. now you are upset because we are offering

>before anyone else comparable. you need to be consistent in

>your argument. otherwise it just looks like you take the

>results and spin it such that coach soderberg and staff

>arent doing their job. be consistent.

>

>as to specifically commenting on this pick, per the article

>that doc b offered, it sounds to me he is a nice player.

>and considering we know we have also offered the point guard

>in chicago as well as the power forward from chicago, it

>appears that we arent just sitting back and doing nothing as

>many of you like to imply.

>

>now mr diddy informs us that brandenburg indeed has a slu

>offer in hand for the loaded sophomore class. i hope that

>two years in advance is early enough for the soderberg

>naysayers that feel we havent been offerring players early

>enough.

>

>as to powell not getting an offer, first, i dont think we

>know that for sure. only vtime has told us different. and

>to be honest, i wouldnt bet my stack of chips on vtime info.

> we do know that coach soderberg has watched a number of

>vashon games and shown a lot of interest in powell. i say

>we see how it shakes out.

Powell's only offer is from Bradley thus far. Saint Louis is on his list though.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect...=2&pr_key=52359

> How many stars was Kevin going into his Sr year, how about

>Tommie. The thing is when no majors have offerred Leon

>Powell or Brandenburg we are wrong for not offerring. Now in

>the case we are wrong for offerring. If you read the article

>it sounds like he may be more than a role player.

>

> I was thinking the same thing about you finding fault with

>the coaching staff ... no matter what they do you will find

>fault. You took one side of the same argument regarding

>Brandenburg and the opposite side on this one.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H.

>Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players

>and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

Powell has an offer from a team that went to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tourney this spring, but SLU who didn't make the NIT thinks they should wait to offer. I don't understand that logic.

"unca, you must have missed the official word......signing KL doesn't count because he just fell into SLU's lap!"

I guess what your telling me is that the sarcasism posts are reserved for the Kool Aid drinkers.

You can be happy spending your money watching 30,40 point games and I will make sure Brad continues to listen to the people on this board that know basketball.

Nice offer to Brandeberg Brad keep up the good work.

Now the hard part starts.

give us the list of "the people on this board that know basketball" so those of us that dont can save time reading and learning from the knowledgeable ones.

I've already suggested that we just turn the site into a Billsboy Blog and none of you guys were on board ... now after it becomes clear to everyone that IT IS what should be done ... you guys jump on board. You have to be able to evaluate talent early and get your ideas out quicker. I admit I was slow to get on the Billsboy band wagon, but I was still 1st.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

This kid sounds a lot like Lisch - skilled, good bb IQ, flying under the radar screen. This is the type of player we have to feast on to get better. As far as no big offers are concerned - neither did Brooks and look what he did for SIUC. If some of the local talent are not interested in SLU for whatever the reason then fine it is their perogative to think that way. If this is so, then why waste your time offering now. You do not have stop showing interest because he might change his mind and you want to still be there if that happens. As far as when a kid is offered before another one - seems a little pointless. Since the offering of a schollie is not a race. I also agree that this board is showing a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide character on this issue. I am still suggesting that we let Brad continue working on his recruiting class for next fall and anything else that might happen this summer before we start chopping heads.