Burwell agrees with Bernie, Bob & Frank

SLURadioBoy

i would love to add creighton and maybe butler as home and home series just as we now have siu and sms. would be great and the schedule could be set up such that we have 3 at home like that each year and 3 on the road. bam, there is 6 of our non-conference games. we then have to add a couple more name games that once we get the new arena, the scheduling restrictions will be nothing as the billikens now leap ahead of tractor pulls, circuses, disney on ice, etc. this means if missouri says, well i could play but it would have to be on november 30th at 3 am doug could say, done. now he has to say, well let me check to see when the circus is in town and i will get back to you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote a letter to McIlhagga:

Mr. McIlhagga,

We need to squash this SLU to the MVC Movement in the local media. It seems that media in other cities (Charlotte, Dayton, etc.) have a better perception of what conference would be a good fit than our local media. I would hope that your staff would work to help them realize SLU doesn't need to take a step down in conference affiliation, media contracts (ESPN), money generated, and competition level. There are more similiar universities in the A10 to SLU than in the MVC. We are at a critical point in the development of top notch atheltic programs at SLU particuliarly basketball and we need to capitalize on that not take a step back. I hope that you are working to stop this MVC chatter before it affects those that actually need to make the decisions for the school. I understand that defections from CUSA have not occured, yet, but we should be proactive not reactive.

Sincerely,

Robert J. Anspaugh

Captain, US Army

A&S 00'

Mr. Burwell,

By your thinking SLU should go ahead and move on down to the NAIA. Why should we settle on challenging for the conference title in the MVC when we could be the National Champions in the NAIA. Besides we can play teams that are from the Midwest Drury University in Springfield is in the NAIA we could develop a natural rivalry with them. Wouldn't that be great!?

Nope. As an alumn of SLU I don't want SLU to drop into obscurity in the MVC. I would much rather SLU join the A10 which competes on a much higher level, puts more teams in the NCAAs, has a contract with ESPN, generates more money, and has more like minded universities (St. Joes, Temple, Xavier, Dayton) than the MVC (Creighton). SLU can and will compete on a higher level than the MVC and we need to continue or rise in college athletics not our demise.

Sincerely,

Robert J. Anspaugh

Captain, US Army

SLU 00'

Need to make sure the voice of the educated fan is heard. I am sure there are many 60+ year old SLU fans out there that attend every game and think a spot in the MVC would be great. They don't really know what the rpi is our who Stuart Scott is either. This is critical but I feel that $$ will talk and SLU will end up in the right spot.

abomb i am sitting here lmao right now. you are too good.

i personally have little use for doug mcI. too many instances where the media has given us the short end of the stick for my tastes. just what the hell does he do? i get the impression he thinks his job is to compile game stats and provide them to bob ramsey and bernie m. i would think this whole media thing we are experiencing today is his fault. imo, as soon as slu decided on the a-10 backup plan, doug should have been out selling it to the media at lunches, happy hours, etc with our esteemed media. if it isnt his job, then what is his job, and who's job would it be?

i would think smoozing the media to get our slant would be his job.

and I'd prefer to do a non-return game w/ a Top 25 school then settle with home and home w/ middle of the road schools from power conferences like K-State, California, West Virginia, etc...

By the way, Illinois and SLU didn't play a home and home. That was a neutral site game in the Dome. Of course, that's the type of game that I would advocate. And the KU game was how long ago?? The only reason that game was played was to placate Ryan Robertson in my opinion. So that's not a good argument. Also if memory serves me correct, I also believe that was a neutral site game in Kansas City. Please give me a home and home series other than Arizona and Mizzou...

what is wrong with the illinois and kansas examples? we wanted the illinois game at the dome, not illinois. a true neutral site would have been springfield or peoria or even chicago. not 3 blocks from our court that we never practice at. and where kansas chose to play there end of the home and home is of no concern of ours.

is wrong on the KU games. The home game was at the Kiel (Dec. 23rd I believe on ESPN---we won) and the return game was indeed at Kemper, but at KU's choice. Thus, according to you, we got a home game and a neutral game out of it. Not bad.

As for the Illinois game, I don't think it was technically a neutral court game, meaning Illinois was not allotted good tickets and the revenues were not split. WE chose to play the game at the dome because we knew we could get a huge gate from it and I believe it still remains the largest gate for any regular season game in Missouri (30,000+).

And to your general points, it is NOT more preferable to play an away game at a top 25 then to play a home and home with middle of the road teams in big conferences. SIUC was reported to have an offer to play at Oklahoma last season. Yet they never took it because its a bad deal. Also, I believe the MVC has pressured its teams NOT to play those type of games because it only feeds the mid-major level.

Your right Duke, UNC and UCLA don't visit the Savvis Center every year but the school does manage to schedule quality opponents to home and home series. Here are some that I picked out I need some help to remember if we played a few of them at home or not.

Kansas played SLU at Savvis and we won (1998-99 season)

California was supposed to be better when we played them Home and Home

Georgia Tech is a quality program we are playing home and home with

SPUMAC -oh I forgot you said not to mention middle of the pack teams

UCLA - played them in 1998 was that in STL?

Alabama - 2000 a decent program as of late

Arkansas 1998 was that in STL?

LSU 1996 hasn't very good as of late but it was with Stromile Swift

In contrast whom has SPUMAC played OOC home and home series with as late?

They played IU in 99, DePaul, Memphis, Iowa. They play UofI at a neutral court.

SLU plays better OOC home and homes than Creighton or Butler because we are in a better conference we are afforded that oppurtunity.

when Julian Winfield was a freshman... That was how long ago... I'm sorry, but you'd be closer if u flipped the '98 around.

Fair enough, Mizzou was a middle of the road team in the Big 12 when SLU played them. Though, they're better than playing a K-State and West Virginia. Georgia Tech... another middle of the road team in the ACC. So what's your point?

All the teams that we played I picked arbitrarily from the SLU Media Guide as teams I thought were good that we played in the late 90s on. It doesn't state whether the games were at home or not. The last time the book states we played UCLA was 98. The teams are decent not everyone can play UNC, DUKE, UCLA, Kentucky, KU, IU, every year they only have so many places on the sched. I think that KU, ILL, AZ for example in the last few years is a quality example when was the last time one of those teams played a home and home with SIUC or SMS? Furthermore, I pointed out that the SLU OOC home games the past few years has been better than the SPUMAC OOC Home games.

AJ, we did play a home and home series with UCLA a few years ago. As Thicks posted, we lost to them in St. Louis in 96-97 and we lost to them again the next year at Pauley Pavilion with Larry Hughes. If I remember correctly, both games were close.

One thing to correct though, LSU didn't have Stromile Swift when we played them in that tourney early in the 95-96 season. Swift was only there for two years and his two years were at the very end of the decade.

nice try in trying to discredit the point of slu not having home and home series with teams from power conferences, but we're not accepting that weak stuff you are trying to bring in here.

I'll give you a better example. when slu was in the great midwest (another excellent conference). espn put together a special a 10 vs. gw doubleheader when slu played u.mass and temple played marquette at the savvis. 22,000 were in the house and dickie v. called the game. umass was in the middle of its big run with lou roe and the gang. those things don't happen in a mid major league. instead, you have to settle for the bracket busters.

as we repeated over and over again, slu had visits from kansas (victory), illinois, who won the big 10 than year (win), vanderbilt, who made the ncaa (win), ucla (loss), arizona (this year), the mizzou series (1-2),cal, who was an ncaa tourney team (win), georgia tech (loss), iowa state, ncaa team (win), dayton every other year (good program),

b.t.w. when winfield was a freshman, slu visited USC, not ucla. with harold minor. they came back to st. louis the following year ranked and got smoked in spoon's first year. and add to that the home and homes in conference with marquette, cincy, louisville, charlotte and depaul.

at the same time, excellent mid major programs such as siu, butler, smsu, bradley and valpo have been on the schedule.

so, take that lightweight argument that we play middle of the road acc teams somewhere else.

bad boyz for life

I do believe Rich Grawer was coach of the Billikens when they faced UCLA during Julian Winfield's freshman year. That was not Spoon's first year. He never coached Julian.

This debate started when I simply suggested that SLU would be better off scheduling a Top 25 team on the road rather than schedule a home and home with a K-State or West Virginia. Of course, I'm happy that Arizona agreed to play SLU, but I wonder if Lorenzo Romar's tight relationship with Lute, along with Woolard's ties as Tseungebill suggested, had something to do with that.

As for KU, they scheduled SLU only because of Ryan Robertson. So are we supposed to wait until a major school steals another local kid away from us before a Top 25 team comes to SLU.