Sick of the Mo Valley backers

thetorch

like there is even a chance in hell tigertim would read an e-mail that was logical and made his views look as stupid as they are.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>Is SLU in the Milwaukee Province for the Jesuits? just a

>question - it would be nice to see the schools in the same

>province work together

No. SLU is in the Missouri Province, and SLU is basically the headquarters of the province. The Missouri Province consists of the following schools:

Saint Louis University

Rockhurst University(Kansas City)

Regis University (Denver)

DeSmet Jesuit High School :)

Saint Louis University High School

Regis Jesuit High School

Rockhurst High School

St Joes did have a nice team last year. I saw them play Auburn in the 1st round of the NCAA and I was very impressed with the team and their HC. They lost a tough OT game to Auburn. They will be a fun rival in the A-10 for our Billikens.

count me as someone seconding the cu vs slu series - but am sure most of the posters here have heard that before...

as for drake and UNI getting kicked out - won't happen. drake is a founding member of the conference and has shown commitment to improving - they have upgraded their facilities with a nice on campus arena in the last 4-5 years...and with the hiring of tom davis have shown that they are serious about trying to compete in basketball.

UNI was decent last year - and i think the coach they have will do nicely up there - the folks in cedar falls really think highly of greg mcdermott - this should be pretty good year for uni. they also are building a new on campus arena - so that should be an improvement over the UNIdome.

this is going to get me in a little trouble here - but you talked about the bills slow slide in mediocrity if they joined the mvc - i would say that the bills have been mired in mediocrity for quite awhile. charlie had his standout teams with h, claggs, and highmark - but really even with the one LH year - the bills have been pretty mediocre - never terrible - but never very good. i think that everyone's aspirations here are on the mark though - with the right conference (and the mvc likely isn't it), the right coach, and administrative support - there is no reason why slu can't be a nationally recognized program with the talent that is in st louis especially, southern ill, and the rest of missouri.

as a bills fan - i think the A10 is the best move the bills can make right now - certainly staying in cusa wouldn't be too prudent.

i guess it depends on everyone's definition of "mediocre". personally, a team consistently in the top 100 typically is over 500 and one that has reached in the 30's besides the hughes and claggett teams is a little better than mediocre considering there is about 320 teams in division one. i dont consider it great but it is better than mediocre. mediocre to me would be a team that is somewhere more in the middle like a 130-180 ranked team.

Rammer just had a caller named Nate that insisted that the Valley was best for SLU. His basic point was that college athletics and conferences should be regionalized so that "road trips" for the students are possible. It has to be the same left fielder!

It seemed that Rammer and Mike C. (he generally belches out an answer and thinks later) thought the A-10 travel was a bit much. If SLU would have landed in the Big East, I wonder if they would have thought the same thing.

By the way, men's soccer has already traveled to Virginia and South Carolina, and will make two different league trips to North Carolina this season. Women's v-ball played in a non-conference tournament in Washington, plus they will make two trips to North Carolina. Women's soccer played in a non-conference tournament in New Jersey and has three league trips scheduled for North Carolina. Travel dollars, while also a concern, are evidently not a show-stopper for SLU athletics.

fair enough...but the college hoops world doesn't exactly have billikens on their brains.

SLU has not been a consistent top 40 team/occasional top 25 which is what i think most of your aspirations are.

IMO your thinking is a little bit skewed since outside of the top 10-15 conferences all other teams could be completely eliminated as not relevant (sorry fans of those teams but it is so).

the bills have underperformed for the most part - we demand that they be better - we care that the program reaches the potential that we see for it.

i also think that the RPI as a measure sucks. as it is more an indicator of the company you keep than the quality of your program. SLU is a pretty good example of this - particularly during the romar years (roy - i know you are a staunch romar defender and i am not trying to push buttons here - just callin em as i see em).

the pieces are being put in to place so to speak. the admin has ponied up and the arena is coming. everyone knows that st louis fans love a winner - so should they win - the community support will be there. the jury is still out on brad - can he coach - i think most of us think he can. can he recruit - that is the major question to be answered. and if/when he succeeds - will he stay...big question - but some indicators seem to point that he will.

should all that fall into place - with the bills playing in the a-10 - national recognition and the elimination of the "mediocre" label will happen.

Mediocre in my book is perential 120+ team ... which at times in the past has described SLU; however, last year our RPI was around 60 and I expect it shall steadily improve. The ship is heading in the right direction with an on-campus arena coming.

It would have been nice to exchange one of the dogs on our schedule this year for a Billikens v. Bluejays battle. Hope it happens in the near future. I'm a big fan of Dana Altman.

Thank goodness these folks aren't decision makers. It's up to the Rev. Lawrence Biondi. I bet if he polled SLU boosters as PART of his decision-making process, the weight would be overwhelmingly in favor of A-10 (at least, that's what I hope). The way the members of the media see things, they have to follow SLU whether the Billikens are here or there and whether they're good or bad, and since the Valley is here, they might as well play in the Valley, but it's up to the SLU administration to decide if they won't to run with the big dogs or lie down on the porch and be petted by Bernie Miklasz and company. I hope they choose to run with the big dogs (join the A-10) rather than roll over (join the Valley).

Terrance, I don't believe the SLU administration has ever even considered the Valley as an option. It is an issue that only exists because of ignorant talk show listeners and the talking head media types that provide these ignorant listeners with a platform.