Arena Website

kshoe

Steve Trampe, the developer of the Continental Building, is working on the Woolworth's building and will be marketing it as restaurant space. He's also about to start working on the Moolah Temple on Olive, just behind the Midtown Office Building, for use as an incubator for performing arts groups. Things are coming along, and I think in five years or so, the area will look pretty good.

Hopefully SLU will get started on developing the vacant lot at Grand and Lindell sometime soon...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you mean the Aramaic temple...the moolah temple is down by Vandeventer, which is being renovated by the same folks who tackled the Lindell towers project (which looks great on the inside)...correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Trampe using the bank space for the restaurant.....or will that be ANOTHER great retail addition for the area...Taking a peek in the bank window, it looks like they are making progress...the sommellier in me can envision a pretty cool private booth or wine cellar in the vault!!!

Exactly, I think it was called the Marina Building. It's a shame that it couldn't be saved too, it was a beautiful building. I have seen renderings for the building that will eventually be built there though, and it looks pretty nice - a combination of retail and residential.

I forget which temple is which, but there is one on Olive, just east of the Metropolitan Building that Trampe is about to rehab. Now that I think about it, I think it's a Medinah Temple, with the Moolah Temple on Lindell as you said. It's easy to overlook because its not nearly as impressive as the temples on Lindell.

Medinah, yes...any word on what Trampe is doing with it? They need to get into the Metropolitan! What that area needs is housing...

Anyone know exactly what the big warehouse-esque building is on washington behind vitos? I'd say it's 8-9 stories....I don't think it is in the proposed arena zone...but what an ideal place for lofts....I'd also like to see something similar happen to the warehouse of furnitures building if anyone ever buys it

i'll start rolling pennies

There are plans to rehab the Metropolitan Building, so that should be starting soon. It's supposed to be apartments, and you're right, residents is what the area needs most.

Trampe is renovating the Medinah Temple as office/performing space for arts groups. He'll lease the space to the groups at a reduced rate.

The Warehouse of Fixtures building was purchased a few years back by an out of town developer who had plans to build lofts there, but obviously, he's dragging his feet.

Is the warehouse you're talking about the Hart Printing building - kind of an art deco - yellow/buff brick building?

It will be awesome to walk from Humphries or the Sigma Chi house to a game with a quality atmosphere. The noise factor will be better and the excitement generated by the new arena will help men and women basketball. What really excites me is the Circus Layout. I am so pumped about that.

I love the arena! It's going to look amazing when they get it built and I would love to see a line-up with Polk, Lisch, Liddell, and Shaw/Polk on the floor in the first ever game played there. I'm just salivating thinking of it! I also love the fact that they're going to have team stores in the arena. Then we'll have more options than just the bookstore to get SLU merchandise. Does anyone else think that they should sell SLU basketball jerseys? I would buy one in a second!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

the new arena looks good, the team just have to wins, look at all the teams that have off campus arenas, Kentucky, st johns, georgetown, they all could win will no on campus arenas.

Here are soem programs that have on campus arenas and have so so facilities, nd,St Josephs, duke these programs still win with small playing facilities Dukes basketball office a great, but the there gym small and packed and they still win just a point to make. Its not how big and fancy the the gym is its wether you win or lose. Lokk at the Bills in the late 80s playing in the kiel opera house, won to NIT finals. I liked the atmosher felt like you were close to the game. Whatever happened to the bay billiken

So in this new arena, will the womens team play, I mean at west pine they cant even fill the gym let alone win games. So when the new arena is finished will they play in there cause the gym will be really empty? Which would look ridiculous.

Fredo,

The Billikens never played in Kiel Opera House. It was a venue strictly for smaller concerts, ballets, Broadway shows, and the former (before Powell Hall) home of the St. Louis Symphony. In the 80's SLU did play in the old Kiel Auditorium.

I am just looking for a history lesson here, but was Kiel just a big name family back in the day, or a business? or what? Everything is named Kiel (or was), and I have never really learned the origins. Can anyone enlighten me?

Steve