No backup recruits?

I, like many others, are more concerned with the lack of a backup plan than of losing an individual recruiting battle.

If I'm Tom Timmermann, it is mandatory to ask Coach Soderberg "Why is there not a backup plan" Anyone who read Coach's statement is asking themselves the question. When will we get a chance to ask Coach?

In this day and age of recruiting, there is barely any talent around for a Spring signing. Whoever is out there right now and unsigned - is not likely to be a contributor. There may be a transfer who is targeted - but remember, they will not be eligible for next year.

What I will be anxious to see - if Brad and his staff can get an early committment (or two) this summer for the next recruiting class. I too would have liked to have seen Lance in Billiken Blue - but we will not win many recruiting wars with the likes of Indiana and Marquette. That is reality in Billiken Nation.

>I, like many others, are more concerned with the lack of a

>backup plan than of losing an individual recruiting battle.

>

>If I'm Tom Timmermann, it is mandatory to ask Coach

>Soderberg "Why is there not a backup plan" Anyone who read

>Coach's statement is asking themselves the question. When

>will we get a chance to ask Coach?

Powell, Harrellson, McNutt, Gilmore, Woodland, Stokes, Eckerle, Plackemeir are just some of the reasons there is no backup recruit this year. Stemler or nothing. Too much talent in 2007, we can really use those schollies. With success we should be able to land some guys from the class that's really loaded, 2008.

"lack of a backup plan"....might be a little quick on the trigger!

Let's see what happens over the nexts few weeks / months. It's not an used scholarship until it is still open on September 1st.

It possible we will see a late ACT/SAT qualifier in June, a juco transfer (hopefully a freshman juco with three years eligibility), a D1 transfer, or an international player.

Today's May 2nd.....the Fall Semester starts about September 28th.

Ease off the trigger a bit!

I'm referring to his statement to Tom T., paraphrased by Tom T as

"The school has two more scholarships to offer, but coach Brad Soderberg said the school didn’t have other recruits standing by in case the Billikens didn’t get Stemler."

Although several theories exist as to why...I'd prefer to hear it directly from Brad.

I have this same nasty feeling as back in the Spoon days, when we had Highmark, Claggett, and Waldman together for 2 years, and could not complement them with really strong big men other than Dobbs (no offense to the Admiral and Donnie Campbell)

I thought that the 3 and 4 position would be easy to sell to a recruit, with such as strong 1, 2, and 5.

Nevertheless, I am confident that at least 1 of the 3 contenders at each of the 3 and 4 will significantly improve. If so, we'll be good.

Dr. Bird ..... I don't buy for one minute that the SLU coaching staff isn't aware of other possible additions to the roster. Is there another 6-6 Lance Stemler out there? Offensively, maybe not..... but other more rounded players.....maybe. Much time left before school starts. Relax.

hmmmmmm, lets see

Drejaj, Ohanon, Bryant, Frericks are a few who came aboard after the signing period

they may not have been spectacular, but they all made a mark in our record books (top ten 10 lists, all conference mention, etc)

Thanks counselor, but saying that "Drejaj, Ohanon, Bryant, Frericks are a few who came aboard after the signing period" doesn't exactly answer whether those folks signed between May 1 and Sep 1.

Came aboard after the signing period? what signing period (early, spring)?

I'll be the first to admit that i'm unfamiliar with the history of SLU signees.

you asked if UB recruited any one during the time frame listed which was from May to Sept.

Someone gave you an answer ... you had already specified the dates.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

David Robinson was first/second team Illinois all-state, not exactly chopped liver.

Brad's backup plan was recruiting two other forwards simultaneous to Lance, both who have signed at Boise State and Murray State. Lance was the prime recruit for his position. Our backup plan now will consist of picking up the phone and making some contacts calls, and beating the bushes some more. Nelson may be slotted for one of the big men schollies - Brad and staff saw a fair amount of him while recruiting a different shooter.

If Brad plays an eight man rotation, we may be looking at the following...

C Ian, Bryce

PG Tommie, Dwayne

Wings Kevin, Luke

Danny, JJ, Adam(one is odd man out)

Starters would be Ian, Tommie, Kevin, and two from the 2-4 lines, depending on who we are playing and who is dominating practice.

In this post and in others, you have named names .... at least last names. I don't know some of the guys you'v ementioned so if you could, could you identify who these guys are and the hgih schools they go to? Appreciate it.

Austin. Kueker. McNutt. Stewart. Gilmore. Woodland. Stokes. Plackemeier.

Don't forget that when Spoon was hired, Highmark said that he really wanted to play for Spoon but did not want to go to SMS so he was tickled that Spoon was coming to SLU - in essence he would have landed Scott. Dobbs was a key player as well as Robinson. To say Spoon lived only off of Grawer's recruits is simply not true - afterall, Winfield left, a starter, so Claggs is the only major player that might fit your position.

Schasz, H was a gift from UNLV. Beacuse Spoon made so many trips to Las Vegas and knew the coaching staff well, they called Spoon and suggested a directed transfer when H realized his PT was to be limited. H was the Mr. Nevada in high school, and a tremendous transfer pickup for SLU.

He wasn't really a traditional recruit - more of a windfall.

McNutt is at Hazelwood Central, but will probably be playing big time college football, quarterback I believe.

Plackmeier was 2nd team all metro out of Duchesne. 6'3" ave 23pts, 4rbs, 4asts, 2steals.

Stewart was 2nd team all metro out of Edwardsville. 6'4" avd 10pts, 8rbs, 7.5asts, 3steals.

Gilmore is at Cardinal Ritter, honorable mention all metro.

Woodland is at Lutheran North, honorable mention all metro.

Stokes is at Miller Career Academy, honorable mention all metro.

No mention of Austin or Kueker on the all metro teams.