This changes nothing at all

As mentioned many times, Lance wouldn't have completely filled our void so not getting him changes nothing.

The signing of AK and DM changes nothing in regards to whether Brad is a good recruiter or not. We're still speculating and we're still waiting to find out if he is or not.

Many questioned how Brad ran the offense last season. Even if we signed LS do you all believe Brad would have changed his offensive scheme? Yes, LS would have given us another option, but even when we've had options on the floor many disagreed with his offensive strategy.

Most were plesantly suprised at how well we did last year and I won't be suprised when we do even better this year.

If Ian leaves, that will change things.

This changes nothing at all is exactly the problem. We still don't have enough good shooters. Coach Soderberg failed in achieving his stated goal of adding a quality shooter to help open things up for Ian. This signing period was a missed opportunity. I am now afaid we'll look back on Ian's senior season as a missed opportunity to make the Tourney. But hey, at least we've saved up those scholarships!!!!

Ace said, "Coach Soderberg failed in achieving his stated goal of adding a quality shooter to help open things up for Ian".

So what do you call Dustin Maguire? From what i hear, he is a prolific 3-pt shooter. Brad said he needed a PF and a shooter, by my count, he got both. Stemler would have been nice. But for pete's sake, we lost to Indiana. They came in, recruited for a month, and he commited. Obviously, Lance didn't really want to come to SLU. He wanted a big time program, and Indiana is the only big time program to offer. SLU and MU are not even close to the same league as IU. GW had a solid season last year...big time? Not yet. I guess Brad could have offered earlier. Maybe that would have helped. But really, who knows? He still couldn't have signed until last week, and by that point, IU was already there. We can blame Brad. But based on the events that took place, I really feel Lance did NOT want to come to SLU...no matter what we did.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Sunshine here, but I think a lot of people on here go off the deep end. Last week, everybody was ecstatic. This week, Brad sucks again. We win 5 games, and we worry about Brad moving to a bigger school. We lose 3 games, and we start talking about when we should fire him.

how long do CL and Biondi accept a mediocre program. UB's success or failure needs to be measured by where we are after next season. The big IF's: IV needs to return to have any shot at the dance. If he does and we make it great...put a + sign in his column. Fall recruiting class comes up big as well. Powell, O'Rear...fill in the blanks with names of some real talent that will contribute. If he lands them great another + next to his name. No dance w/IV or without, not much on the recruiting end....c'mon, how much time more rope do we give him? That would be 5 years, 0 invites, nothing much in the stable except KL and TL, who can't do it all by themselves. It's time for some of his other recruits, DP, DB, LM to really step up. I've purposely left out mentioning or assessing how he did with DM and AK, because they are frosh, but not highly touted so who knows?

Coach had stated his preference for a frontcourt guy who could shoot AFTER McGuire signed in the fall. That was his stated top priority and he failed. I doubt DM is the answer for this coming season, that's why LS was such a big priority.

The Knollmeyer signing is fine, but with two more open scholarships we should have been pursuing a few other shooting options just in case Stemler didn't work out. Now BS is saying that we have no other recruiting options, while we are left with two open scholarships?!?!?! That's unacceptable.

Outside shooting is every bit the need that the 4 is and we haven't upgraded it. Do you think DM will be an upgrade over AD next season? We needed outside shooting help NOW!

I agree 100%. If we miss the dance this season...IV or no IV...barring injuries to KL and TL, Brad needs to start looking around for a new job. We need to demand more from the team and coach. But, I'm not prepared to go off the deep end, based on losing one decent recruit to a program like Indiana. Now, had he gone to MU or say, SIU, i'd be quite upset. Should we aspire to beat these programs and expect to beat these programs when it comes to recruiting? Sure...most definitely. But realistically, if a kid top priority is to attend the school with the biggest name...which appears to be the case with Stemler...there's nothing that can be done about that.

Stemler is unique. There aren't any other unsigned 6'7 forwards who shoot 40% from three -- that's why Indiana and Marquette were all over him. Sure Brad could sign another shooting guard but how exactly does that improve our situation when we already have Maguire? Lisch and Liddell are starters -- that leaves Maguire to fight it out with Meyer and Brown for the other guard spot. That's more than enough competition.

Honestly, I have no idea on DM. All I know about him is what I read on this board and the internet...and I'd suspect that's true for about 80% of the posters who read this board. But I do feel he will be contibuting this year with spot up 3's...which is what we need.

And I agree that Brad should have had a back up plan. But really, what do we know? Is there anybody out there worth taking? What if he signs another VN, then we have a stud who wants to commit next year...but all our scholarships are gone. Then we'd be pissed we just offered a body for the hell of it.

I guess, I'd rather evaluate a coach on games. Not on won or lost recruiting wars. It happens to even the biggest schools. I could care less if we sign all 1 star recruits who's only offer was SLU and Savannah St. It's all about winning. And if we don't start winning VERY soon, i'll join in on the doom and gloom. Until then, I'm a glass if half full kind of guy.

what's so wrong about us, and UB, expecting his other two wing recruits, DB and LM, to be that person? This is exactly what everyone is questioning about UB. Why were DB and LM given scholies if they couldn't play the 3 at the D1 level? Granted, LS had a great year in JUCO and would have been a major upgrade over AD....didn't work out...ok, but we are supposedly loaded at the 3 with DB and LM and now DM....Hell, we could have signed LS and he could have suffered a season ending injury at midnite madness...you always have to have a back up plan. Now's the time for LM and DB to take this rejection as a golden opportunity instead of saying hey we dodged a bullet that would have put us on the bench.

At the risk of poking the Luke faithful, I have posted before and believe that Luke's play has to a point supported this contention: more than one very well respected local h.s. bb coach has told me that while Luke was a great kid and competitor, they questioned if he could make the transition to D1 ball and be as successful as he was in h.s. They all pointed out that he was not fast enough to guard a D1 guard with any speed, his shot release was too low, and he took too much time to get his shot off. Now some here have said that Luke has been hampered by his having to play sf. This is true to a point, if Luke could get his shot off consistently and hit it, he would be playing wing the last two years. He is to be commended for hustling is butt off these past two years but really, he was expected and will absolutely be expected next year to hit shots in order to earn PT. I hope Luke can make a major transition this summer and become a decent shooter but to simply assume he can do that is not being realistic. Is it possible - yes but probable - maybe not. Danny is the one who is fast enough to guard another D1 guard, has a good shot release and can create his own shot - will he do it next year , who knows but he has the most upside of the two.

Cheese,

I agree completely about Luke. His fans kept boasting about a strong "mid-range" game. I don't get it. He had a shooting percentage worse than DP.

Outside of Lisch, Brown is the only who is capable of hitting some 3s. I'm doubtful that DM will see much playing time as a freshman.

The LS fiasco causes me to wonder....

Does BS have a difficult time making recruiting decisions?

Can he recognize talent?

Why would you offer DM before LS?

Why does a "good" D1 coach need seven evaluation periods to make a decision on a Juco All-American player that fills one of two critical pieces your team is missing?

Why does SLU under this staff never have any second options?

Why didn't we give LS an ultimatum and if he wouldn't commit then find a second option three months ago?

What is the value of holding onto scholarships and never using them?

The answers to these questions need to be answered by this coaching staff. No one would hire this staff today based upon the SAME rookie mistakes they have made over the last several years.

To be clear, staffs are entitled to make mistakes but the SAME mistakes should not be tolerated.

Maybe Lance would've jumped early if Brad had offered early. Maybe not. If you think Brad can sell SLU over Sampson and Indiana if they come calling you may want to question your sanity. Indiana also beat out MU for Lance's services.

Again I'm not saying I'm not disappointed but if this is a fiasco we'd better get used to it. Storied Big 10 teams with storied coaches (not always good stories) will quite often beat out SLU for recruits.......

>Maybe Lance would've jumped early if Brad had offered early.

> Maybe not. If you think Brad can sell SLU over Sampson and

>Indiana if they come calling you may want to question your

>sanity. Indiana also beat out MU for Lance's services.

>

>Again I'm not saying I'm not disappointed but if this is a

>fiasco we'd better get used to it. Storied Big 10 teams

>with storied coaches (not always good stories) will quite

>often beat out SLU for recruits.......

I can't speak for Hardball, but I don't have a problem losing out to IU for Lance. I have a BIG problem with us not having any other viable recruits on the line with two available. Perhaps part of the problem is that we couldn't lock up anybody but McGuire back in the fall.

>don't we have 2 more opening up next year with IV and JJ?

>and if Luke graduates and decides he doesn't want to play,

>are we giving 5 next year?

If Luke graduates, then he goes to grad school. He's going to play his 4 years out.

If BS would have offered LS early we could have made Indiana a non factor. Early offers is how Gonzaga recruits not taking seven evaluation periods. Someone has to be held accountable for not offering early, WHO? This same scenerio played out on the Shaw recruit from SIU. Same situation BS needed more time to evaluate but this time we lost to SIU not Indiana. Do you feel we should loose to SIU as well?

I agree with you about LS. Nobody would have known about him because he had not proven himself, but what about when he did. My point all along with LS is that here is a player who can really fill a void in our program and we loss him to Indiana. If people truely think he would have been a fourth option here they may be right but I don't see why Indiana or Marquette would sign SLU's fourth option. I have spoken with Lance alot about his recruitment and this was a kid who did want to come to SLU early on, but like I said earlier, the longer it took the bigger the programs came along. If he didn't want to go to SLU then why did he go to SLU's games this year and basically throw himself at them early in SLU's season. For all you insiders out there with all you misinformation, Lance said one of the biggest things that turned him off with SLU was when Coach S. told him that he was making a visit to watch him play and if he liked what he saw he would " pull the trigger and not waste any time." Well a month later and 5-6 more visits they offer. To late to many big programs by now Brad!

I don't think anyone on this board knows why LS chose Indiana ... I would just assume the obvious ... they are Indiana.

We have set a record today with the most stupid posts.

If I was LS I'd have went to Indiana also if I thought I could play.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

LS said on Ch 5 news tonight that he always dreamt of playing in the Big 10. Would any of us picked SLU in the A-10 over one of the top 10 rated basketball programs which plays in one of the best conferences in the country? It's not like we lost out to Marquette or Nebraska for g@%s sake! I know we would have liked to get this player, but we are only going to beat out Ind., Kan., 'Cuse, UCONN, UCLA, UNC and/or Duke on 1 out of 500 recruits and then only due to special circumstances, e. g. LH.

Remember we need extra scholies for the future with only 2 Seniors this year.

actually, i think getting a shooter was our goal. i dont remember soderberg ever stating he was chasing a shooter. he said last fall he wanted two power forwards. stemler was being pursued because he was a huge upgrade over our existing wings except lisch.