Just got back from Joe Bocardi's and..

Brad said he is trying to get us to play Mizzou, you all know about SMS. Also talked to him after the show and asked him about JJ, he seemed reluctant to talk but did tell me he should get good PT at Charlotte against Withers. Also asked Rammer and he said it's not that JJ isn't smart enough(he's graduating this summer) its that he just can't remember what the coach tells him to do.

I was there as well. (I was the guy trying to control my toddler son after his pizza lost its entertainment value.) I thought it was a neat setting. Brad had his entire family with him. Everyone should try to make it at least once before the season is over.

Anyway, Brad said that as soon as the new Mizzou coach is named Brad will be on the phone negotiating a long-term home and home series. Brad's mentioned how it is good for the fans, the cities, the state, and the two programs. It will be great if every year our non-conference schedule includes Carbondale, Mizzou, and Missouri State. Ironically, the last two years Carbondale and Missouri State are the programs that SLU and Mizzou should be aspiring to play.

Two things:

1) I know I am in the minority, but I pray to God we never play Mizzou again. It is just an unpleasant experience. Too many of their fans are just a bunch of under-educated, pompous, obnoxious, West County punks! Not all of them; but enough. Sorry. Just the way I see it.

2) If JJ is graduating this summer, which is great, what does that mean for next year? Does he keep playing through grad school? What am I missing?

I think Brad is right to do what he can to whip up public fervor now for the Mizzou series resuming. A new coach may very well feel a lot of pressure to go along with it. Brad couldn't get anywhere with Quin, and would have gotten nowhere had he still been here. Brad and CL should continue to talk this up publicly.

The in-state games make so much sense, good for all involved. Dick Bennett made a point of Wisconsin playing Marquette, UWM and UWGB when he took over the Badgers (by the way, Brad won all of those games the year he coached the Badgers). Still happening and that's a great thing for the state. U of Wisconsin has the most to lose, as does Mizzou, but it is the right thing.

I like that...you are beginning to sound like me. You might as well throw in St. Charles. Every Mizzou grad I know lives in a far flung suburb and drives an SUV. Maybe it has something to do with the Mizzou boosters being in the strip mall development business.

I grew up in West County, went to high school in West County, own businesses in West County, and a lot of my friends are from West County.

I also know about a LOT of the kids from reasonably well-to-do families from West County that went to Mizzou on mom and dad's dime and came back only with an increased tolerance for alcohol which they tend to eclipse at Mizzou basketball games. Sorry, Cheesyman, but I have had very, very bad experiences with Mizzou fans for years (about 25 years) - and they have been 100% unilateral, not to mention plenty of third-party observations along with a boatload of stories from other fans who went to Mizzou games. That's my experience and I can hardly be counted as a lone voice on this. That said, if we ever play Mizzou again it will be too soon for me.

By the way, I do not live in West County anymore, just too far out for me. Prefer to be much closer to the city, Clayton, West End, etc. However, I sure do miss the relatively low cost of real estate out that way. The close in 'burbs really get you on housing!!!

"but I have had very, very bad experiences with Mizzou fans for years"

Considering your veiw of Mizzou and it's fans I'm not surprised.

"I also know about a LOT of the kids from reasonably well-to-do families from West County that went to Mizzou on mom and dad's dime and came back only with an increased tolerance for alcohol which they tend to eclipse at Mizzou basketball games."

You are aware that it costs more to go to school at SLU than Mizzou? And in my experience college students everywhere increase their tolerance when they go off to school.

Where you choose to live is your biz - AF. Not everybody who goes to Missouri lives in West County. In fact, lots of West Co. people go to SLU. My point is calling everybody from an area punks is simply unfortunate. No different when people say if you are from South City you are a redneck or from Clayton a snob.

i believe the way the d-2 and naia rules are written, he could transfer today and be playing tomorrow at those schools.

...that you left off part of my sentence:

"I have had very, very bad experiences with Mizzou fans for years (about 25 years) - and they have been 100% unilateral, , not to mention plenty of third-party observations along with a boatload of stories from other fans who went to Mizzou games."

Every instance involved out-of-hand Mizzou fans spewing profanity, NOT AT ME, but at refs, the SLU players, or other SLU fans who were cheering or celebrating a victory. At Savvis, I did go and get an usher after a drunk Mizzou fan threatened me while I was holding my 2 year old daughter - why did he threaten me? I asked him to stop shouting profanity in front of my family - shame on me!!!!!!!!!!

You mentioned that SLU is more expensive that Mizzou? What is your point? Two kids from two of the wealthiest families on the planet went to Mizzou, so does that mean that only billionaire's family members go to Mizzou? No. But if you are denying that a LOT of rich kids go to Mizzou and piss away their parents' money, I would disagree. Does it happen at SLU too, probably, but by shear numbers alone, it would happen more at Mizzou.

..."everybody" from West County is a punk and I will give you a billion dollars. Your quote:

"My point is calling everybody from an area punks is simply unfortunate." [i(emphasis added)[/i]

I find it unfortunate that you misrepresent what I have said. In fact, in previous posts I mentioned that I have a lot of friends that went to Mizzou that would NEVER act the way the fans I have seen at Mizzou games act. I was responding to why I do not want to play Mizzou. Am I not allowed to express my opinion without someone misrepresenting what I said?

Have you ever heard of a straw man argument?

... in case you did not know, AF, the NCAA gives you five years to complete your four years of eligibility. That's why you have "fifth-year seniors" or "redshirt freshmen." JJ was a redshirt freshman ... he elected to sit out his "first year" at SLU and gets to play the extra year. The fact that he is about to graduate speaks some nice volume on the young man's ability to compete in the classroom. It is a nice change when you consdier that most don't graduate at all. So he will at least have his degree.

There are some rule entanglements with what we used to call Prop 48 ... kids not getting the needed scores to be declared qualified by the NCAA clearinghouse and play right out of high school. Dwayne Wade was this way at Marquette. But you get that year restored if you graduate on time .. I think.

Some guys even become sixth year players .... where they ask for a medical hardship waiver when one of their years get derailed by an injury. The QB at Oklahoma did this a few years ago ... I think he won his Heisman as a fifth year senior and came back for a sixth year.

I think the most recent case of all this was the Matt Lienhart case at USC. I don't know for sur eif he was a fifth year senior or if he just needed three credits to graduate but in any case we all know about the "Ballroom Dancing" class he took to be eligible.

i never understood linehart's situation, i always understood it to be that you had to be a full time student to be eligible to compete.

i know of at least 2 cases in the past 10---15 years where the university if iowa had 2 footballplayers start law school as 5th year seniors.

i can't imagine law school and playing d-i football.

Mizzou has 28,000 students, a lot of alumni, and fans that have never gone to the school. When I read your posts you seem to be judging a lot of people based on the actions of a few.

Sure there are rich kids that go to Mizzou on mom and dad's dime as you put it. But I would be willing to bet a lot more have to get student loans and/or work.

As far as the drunk idiot that was threatening you while hodling your two year old daughter you had every right to ask for help. Though I can't imagine someone just randomly threatening a person holding a todler. That is truely a sick individual.

"Every instance involved out-of-hand Mizzou fans spewing profanity, NOT AT ME, but at refs, the SLU players, or other SLU fans who were cheering or celebrating a victory."

Profanity is sadly something you have to expect at sporting events. I have been to a Chiefs game, Cardinal games, Royal games, Mizzou bball games, Mizzou ftball games,and a Nebraksa ftball game. What you are describing happens at all of those. Even at SLU bball games I have heard penty of people yelling profanity at refs.