Grimes ... do we want him if he's available?

jjray

>Hell NO!!! If he isn't good enough to play for that ragtag

>outfit why would we want him. Plus he has to sit out a

>year. I say let him sit there with the new coach.

Can you say 6'9" 250? I thought you could. Not every players has to be a star or even start but they do need to fill a roll. Ian and JJ are done after next season. Right now, we've got Bryce and and the injured Obi as our only bigs for the 2007-2008 season. We could really use depth at C/PF. Grimes gives us a big body with D1 experience. Even if we sign Knollmeyer, we're thin up front.

It's conjecture though that even wants to leave.

Kevin Young starts over Grimes. If anyone has seen Young play and know how terrible he is, the fact that he starts over Grimes isn't a ringing endorsment for him. There is no way I would take him if I was the Billikens.

FUTURE Billikens.com Sponsor of Kevin Lisch

Grimes hasn't shown much in a tiger uniform. I thought he was overrated coming out of HS. The guy is huge though, strong as an ox, and has soft hands. Grimes has had horrific coaches in HS and College, I'm convinced with the right coaching he could be a serviceable big man. If he wants to come here, I take him. Let him work with Brad and Angres for a year and then see what he looks like.

He has some very good offensive moves and has shown signs of his potential. However his defense needs a lot of work and though he has gotten better about it for a while it seemed like he was averaging a foul a minute. The reason Young plays ahead of Grimes is Young actually plays pretty good defense and unlike many of the other tigers he plays hard every minute on the court. If he didn't have stone hands he would be a very good collge player.

If Grimes wanted to leave and would come to SLU we would be crazy not to take him. Brad can teach defense alot easier than offense. Plus transfering he would sit out a year giving him three years to learn from UB. However I don't see him leaving. Next year he is going to be the main low post threat for Mizzou. Kevin Young is a senior which makes it Grimes spot to lose.

>He has some very good offensive moves and has shown signs of

>his potential. However his defense needs a lot of work and

>though he has gotten better about it for a while it seemed

>like he was averaging a foul a minute. The reason Young

>plays ahead of Grimes is Young actually plays pretty good

>defense and unlike many of the other tigers he plays hard

>every minute on the court. If he didn't have stone hands he

>would be a very good collge player.

>

>If Grimes wanted to leave and would come to SLU we would be

>crazy not to take him. Brad can teach defense alot easier

>than offense. Plus transfering he would sit out a year

>giving him three years to learn from UB. However I don't

>see him leaving. Next year he is going to be the main low

>post threat for Mizzou. Kevin Young is a senior which makes

>it Grimes spot to lose.

Excellent post, very insightful. Grimes is better offensively than Young, he just tries to block too many shots and gets in to foul trouble. Also, Snyder yanks him immediately anytime he does something wrong. For whoever said him playing behind Young was a ringing endorsement of his talent is way off. More talented underclassmen sit behind upperclassmen at a ton of major division 1 school.

considering he hasnt done much in 2 years of college and never showed any inclination to try in high school as well. i couldnt care less if grimes plays at the local y and i really wouldnt want him at slu.

the guy that always points out we don't have a PF and that is the gaping hole in this years and next years teams, would prefer to leave extra scholarships unused than take a 6'8 250 pound PF from St. Louis. Makes a lot of sense to me.

>considering he hasnt done much in 2 years of college and

>never showed any inclination to try in high school as well.

>i couldnt care less if grimes plays at the local y and i

>really wouldnt want him at slu.

His older brother Mike (with much less physical talent) had a productive career at Creighton under Dana Altman. By all accounts, Kalen's coaching in HS and college were suspect. It's no big gamble to give one of our open scholarships to Kalen as, at the very least, we add depth up front. But the potential of turning this kid around and utilizing the size and skill is still there. I hope the opportunity presents itself for us.

If we don't pick up a JUCO in the spring or don't land the Kollmeyer kid, I'd say take a shot. He'd be better than an empty seat on the bench. Broy attitudes do change. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. 6'8" 250 in the A-10 is at least gonna get you some rebounds. Of course is he even intersted in leaving is the real question. If Altman takes the job, and according to some of the halftime reports today he is definitely a front runner, Grimes may stay put at the advice of his brother. It's not a concern right now. I wonder if this Knollmeyer kid will reconsider MU with a different coach.

we already have a 6'9" strong boy that is too lazy to play. of course if grimes transferred now, he would be eligible to to play just in time to take justin johnson's place in the dog house when he graduates. if that is your point i understand.

of he is the head case that grimes is, then yes i do. brad has made it clear that team chemistry is vitally important (see the snub of xavier price). no sense in taking the bigger and even more severe version of justin johnson.

so because he littler and older brother had guts, desire and attitude we are going to assume that somehow this guy that for 6 years hasnt shown it, will show it if he gets to come home? let him go play at umsl if he wants to come home.

i contend that heart and attitude are the hardest, yet most important attribute of an athlete to evaluate and recruit. you just dont know. i also believe that these are traits that typically dont change for someone that is 20 years old.

Roy, I think you are wrong here. If Kalen wants to come back home, his motivation might suddenly grow. If you look at Q's "coaching" abilities, the only philosophy was to have players available for passes in a route system, not Kalen's strength.

If Kalen came back, he would be a good addition in another year. He also would allow for a project or two another year to develop. We would be getting a raw version of Kenny Brown.

It is a win win scenario, eventually.