for those of us around in the MCC days...

kevinfootes

If I could have picked a Team to do this to this year I would have picked X. When I was at SLU there were alot of Cincy types that still cheered for X and I didn't like that.

if you would have asked me at the start of the season who we could possibly sweep in conference play (UD, URI or X) I would have picked URI.

Interesting that we played exceptionally well against X both times and caught them coming off of an overtime win against Cincy and a tough loss against GWU.

I would prefer not to play them in the post-season tournament!

Agreed for sure. Xavier was a perennial thorn in SLU's side in the Rich Grawer Era in the old MCC.

X used to have an utterly biased "play by play" announcer that tried to make fun of the Billikens in the early MCC days. SLU was just recovering then from the darkness of the Ron Ekker Era. When SLU improved and turned into a contender, X was still the roadblock standing in the way. Conference tourney finals were in Indianapolis and Dayton. Heartbreakers were the norm. Some very good SLU teams, one that won 27 games, was relegated to the NIT. In SLU's last year in the MCC, the pro-Xavier crowd in Dayton taunted the Billikens with chants of "MCC, MCC." SLU was leaving for the Great Midwest. But it was not long before Xavier and Dayton bolted themselves for the A-10.

A good rivalry with Xavier has been restored.

How sweet it is to sweep Xavier.

This game almost makes me forget sitting in the Market Square Arena in Indy for the MCC Finals. (87 or 88) With one minute to go and the game in the balance Stan Kimbrough picked the rock from Jim Roder for an easy layup. Speaking of which, is Xavier thinks they're going to win anything with that little slow white kid, Wolf, playing significant minutes they've got another thing coming. It was a dominating performance by the Thrillikens. They let Thornton get his and shut everyone else down. Burrell was nonexistent. Bills rule!

UD will probably be favored by a small margin over the Bills unless they get blown out (more than 12) by GW on Wed. I think it works to our advantage to have them playing a tough game @ GW right before our game. Situation is similar to the 2 Xavier games. Even if UD is favored we will be in a position to win.

need to position ourselves so that we don't have to face X in their hometown, and GW not until the finals.

In the MCC days, I remember in the years that we were better than they, X would knock us out of the tourney in the playoffs. Would not say the monkey is officially off our backs til we get out of the tourney in better shape than Xavier.

mhg

>If only the NCAA took 64 teams back in the 80's...

>

>27-10 - 88-89

>25-10 - 86-87

>21-12 - 89-90

Are you serious? The NCAA Tournament contained 64 teams each of those years. Keep in mind that in the 1988-89 and 1989-90 seasons the Billikens' win totals were inflated by 5-1 runs in the NIT. In 1989 they were 22-9 on Selection Sunday, and in 1990 they were 16-11 (assuming the records you've listed here are accurate).

the problem in the bonner era was that the mcc was a one bid conference and our xu buddies held the title every year.