Iowa Loss .... 60 to 50 ....

Taj79

... numbers tell the story here???? Our FG% = 36%. Three-point FG% = 15% on a whopping 2 of 13. Our FT% = 60%. When placed against Iowa we are minus in every category ..... 7/38/7. The telling one is the 53% Iowa shot from three-point land. We can't defend the perimeter and we can't shoot the perimeter. Now there's something you don't see everyday in Saint Louis U. basketball!

Massive bench support .. one point! What happened to Luke Meyer? Not a single minute. He okay or hurt? Ian shot 4 for 10 ... didn't see it but sounds like doubling down to me. What did we get ... one trey per half?

Luke has gotta play. Especially since DB is giving nothing right now.

One day this group will grow up and somebody (this was my worry at the beginning of the season) will step up towards the end of the game and make/take a shot. We continue to lose games down the stretch because we're still babies and afraid to have the ball in their hands.

p.s. refs sucked.

When I watch the game I think that Newbourne is doing alright but when I look at his stat line 99% of the time he contributes nothing no Rebounds, No points.

Yes, Liddell needs to take his man more often than he does. He had about 6 pts in the first 4 minutes of the game and didn't get another two for a looong time.

No Husak last game and no Meyer this game. I don't get it. I think he could've held his own against some of their swing men and he may have hit a 3 ptr. too.

I like Polk he hustles can drive to the hoop and generally takes care of the ball. He just can't hit an outside shot.

The unforced turnovers killed us in the 2nd part of the first half. Yes they were shooting lights out but we can't match points when we give up unforced turnovers.

We missed AD when it was getting physical ... Drejaj would have taken a foul while knocking someone on his ass. The only other player we have who will give it back is Ian and we can't have him wasting fouls. When 44 went at/under Tommie on the dunk ... somebody should have floored Horner the next time down and took that bad knee out. 44 is a worthless dirty player ... don't give it back too him, give it to Horner.

Iowa was physical, very physical. I was not dissapointed in the way we played, we missed shots, but we always do. We played hard. We got beat by a better team. If we hit free throws it would have been within a point or two with 2 minutes left and a different game. We missed the front of at least 2 1-1's ... that is 3 maybe 4 points. It was a 5 point game very late ... If the game is called tight we can win, but if it iallowed to get that physical we will lose far more than we win against them ... they shot 53% from the 3 ... most of them off good hard screens. #1, really came off the screen and shot well ... looked like Alford just remembered his old plays at Indiana.

How do so many visiting fans get such good seats? Why can't we stand and make noise at the end of a close game ... I am giving up, I'm going to join the ranks of the crippled mutes.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

#44 was 44 yrs. old.

I got a great seat back near Sign Guy just today at Famous Barr via Ticketmaster. There was an idiot Iowa fan next to me saying Ian was weak at the beginning of the game so I started yelling back at him and I said about 1 min. into the game that Ian was going to get about 16 pts and 8 boards on them. He yelled back 16 whole pts.

Ian was talking some smack after that play where they jumped all over his back. He was talking as he held the ball out baiting his defender the guy went for it and Ian turned and stepped and Jammed it home with authority. I jumped up and immediately started yelling at the idiot Iowa fan next to me about how weak did he think Ian was now. The 50 year old woman in between us got a little nervous I think. The guy didn't talk any more smack the rest of the game. I couldn't allow that B.S. in our House.

not only did he get a push in on TL, but he seems to always get a little extra action after the whistle. One the play when the Iowa guy landed on Ian, Brunner is their giving a little hip check to the back of ian head.

Why isn't Brunner playing for huggins......

Haluska got away with a push on lisch on the fast break bucket, yet Horner goes to the line when Polk supposedly fouled him, even though the ref it occurred in front of did not call it.

Most pathetic though was the over and back they almost did not call....

some stupid, fat-assed Iowa fan in front of me did not like my loud cheering so he says to his wife just loud enough for me to hear, "that ****** bag is too loud". If it wasn't for my 6 year old daughter being there, Billiphan, ACE and NYBill would have been bailing me out of jail...on second thought, I guess I would still be in jail...

Either way, I doubt he will make that mistake again - I gave him the verbal (nothing profane) equivalent of the Tonka nacho shower!

The refs didn't call the over and back, Soderberg did!!! I thought his head was literally going to pop clear off - I think the refs just wanted to avoid having to pick up coach's head so they made the call.

My favorite was when Ian blocked 23's @#%^ off the backboard and was talkin' some serious trash when he did it. This was also after the worst call in basketball history...Ian's traveling with a guy square on his back on his way up to the hoop.

>Luke has gotta play. Especially since DB is giving nothing

>right now.

>One day this group will grow up and somebody (this was my

>worry at the beginning of the season) will step up towards

>the end of the game and make/take a shot. We continue to

>lose games down the stretch because we're still babies and

>afraid to have the ball in their hands.

>

>p.s. refs sucked.

Luke should definitely play every game and at least 15 minutes. He should be ahead of Newborne in the rotation. We should never take Ian, JJ, or TL out unless they are in foul trouble in my opinion.

Some Iowa fan seated by us actually claimed that a SLU player touched the ball on the over and back!

The wrestling takedown/football tackle of Ian Vouyoukas in the first half, that amazingly resulted in a no foul call and an Iowa possession, was yet another case of reverse homerism to protect the almighty Big Ten team.

Where was Luke Meyer when Iowa went to the 2-3 zone? Without Drejaj, SLU needs another outside shooter. Isn't Meyer a decent outside shooter?

The refs were again horrible on SLU's "home court." This game was supposedly played in St. Louis, not Iowa City or Keokuk. Still SLU would have won, even with these refs, had the Billikens made just a few more shots, including layups, and shot better at the free throw line.

It was a frustrating loss. But there is hope for this team, and the future looks brighter.

I found Soderberg's post-game comments interesting. I credit him for talking after the game. He is a likeable nice guy. His teams will play very hard, and nobody will enjoy playing them. Soderberg said, maybe it is on him. Maybe he isn't recruiting enough shooters, let alone good enough offensive players.

This is obviously true, and there is still the need for low post help. When you recruit kids like a Liddell and Lisch, in that top 100 or so range...it is possible they will be more than advertised, but more likely, where they are....meaning they will be difference makers their last two years, and solid progress their first two years. Liddeell is obviously way ahead of Lisch in the college transition. But I do think Lisch will be a good player his last two years. SLU needs two kids each year in that caliber for 3 straight years to be any good. Or get a fortunate class of 3 or 4 people. Simply put, all the pressure in the world is on next year's class to be as good, and for the current returning role players to improve next year. The local recruiting class has taken a little pressure off of Soderberg for this year. He needs to find better offensive players. To Soderberg's defense, SLU has NEVER had a commitment to winning college hoops in my lifetime. The hope is that Levick will be extremely aggressive in changing this, and...that it is accepted. Or...if Soderberg doesn't get two or three good classes in a row, he won't be around a lot longer. It is going to take a coach who can overcome the school's lack of cimmitment to hoops to get SLU over the hump, and then possibly gain more respect from the administration. Hoping Soderberg is the guy...but really unsure. We shall see. It is a challenge to get players EACH year...at least one or two good ones.