Not another troll!

ACE

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I NEVER said there was any truth to this. As a matter of fact I classified it as a RUMOR in my original post. Maybe some of you can’t read. Why can’t I take this to the board and ask if there’s any truth to it? Half the stuff on this is a message board is rumors with responses to dispel what is and isn’t the truth. I don’t feel there is any reason to rip me, misquote me or say that I am trying to spread negative rumors. A lot of people come here to find answers and that is all I was looking for. This is a topic that is obviously being talked about by numerous fans and by most people that listened to Brad’s post game comments. Add that with Tommie's past academic struggles and there was plenty of reason to feel legitimately concerned. I hope to god he's eligible and continues his Freshman success.

I agree with Marshall. Every post on here about any possible Public High recruit ends with "will he be academically eligible." People on here make assumptions about kids all the time and it's no big deal. I don't know why everyone freaked out about this. Marshall never said it was gospel. He stated he heard a rumor and wanted to know if anyone could confirm or deny. Too many people on here think they are the moral police.

as i said this morning when i posted on your thread, i think that to discuss it without naming names or insinuating names would have been fine since coach soderberg brought the subject to the table after the game saturday. but to leap to an assumption as you did and name a specific player was wrong.

tommie may have had problems in high school, however, apparently that was more a product of his high school than his own academic abilities. tommie went to prep school last year and by all indications did fantastic. if he had not, he still wouldnt be at slu he would likely be at a junior college this year or still at a prep school. so your conclusive jump was very wrong and a disservice to tommie.

I have to agree with phan on this one. For whatever reason this struck a nerve and I really don't think what Marshall posted was out of line. Since the thread was deleted, I can't quote it, but I don't recall him making and outlandish statements that he stated were fact. I thought this board was supposed to be a place to come and discuss what is on your mind and find out what other intelligent SLU fans know about the team and what is going on with the program. Last time I checked, rumors were not banned on this site.

"There's a bit of a difference between "I hope Prospect X

passes his ACT" and "I heard Player X didn't pass his

classes". One is a slanderous rumor and the other isn't."

That's not what I referred to. Like I said, there is much conjecture about prep players on this board. I don't know how many times I've read someone say "He would be a good fit at SLU, that is if he is academically eligible and has the right character." Posters make these statements when they have no idea of a kids academic background.

To use your words, people deal in slanderous rumor on this board ALL THE TIME.

I'm sorry you got your panties in a bundle over this one. Try not to be so sensitive.

I posted a name b/c that was the RUMOR I heard. If you read into that as me dragging his name in the mud then you are nuts and we have problems. It fit, b/c to my knowledge no one else on the team has had problems with grades in the past. I came here looking for more information not to pick a fight.

There's always going to be doubters in his first year or two so all Tommie can do is prove them wrong and take care of business. Just like Dwayne CAN prove people wrong that he can shoot or Ian HAS proved people wrong in his development as a big man. Tommie should not care what is posted on this internet board and I doubt he does.

"I have only seen Powell twice and he looked great one time and just ok the other but I do see some potential, particularly with a team like our Bills that have a number of great guards and a strong center. My question is--do you know if he can qualify?"

The above was posted by Bilikan on December 15 about Leon Powell. Now why would he ask if Powell could qualify? Why wouldn't Powell qualify? Nobody got on Bilikan about implying that Powell might not qualify. Where were you then 3star? Why weren't you throwing a hissy fit then? Where were the moral police then?

for mfaulk, we do have a problem.

to me there is one heckuva lot of difference coming here and posting "i hear a rumor player x is not going to be eligible, anyone else hear this" versus posting "anyone hear about academic progress or lack thereof of any members of our team"

if you don't see the difference between naming a name and being very generic, i don't know what to say

Contary to what Phan, Kappy and Marshall said this board does not normally have postings that are based on unsubstantiated rumors about particular players. We often make some brutal observations about a player or recruit's bb ability. I guess the thing that bothered me the most and I was consistent with all my response to the orginal thread - and by the way thanks for removing it - was that from an off hand comment made by the coach - which many have heard other coaches make - a slanderous rumor is started about an individual player when no name was brought up by the coach. The orginal post specifically named their uncle as the source - who ever that person was - and referenced the vague comment uttered by the coach to a general question as some kind of idiotic proof. The other thing that bothered me was that there are other freshmen players on the team but only one name was listed. Marshall, before you posted some stupid rumor your uncle heard you should have found out from your uncle where he heard it. I was embrassed by the post and for the young man whose name was mentioned. For Phan, Kappy, and Marshall - Roy's and 3 Star's explanations as to why it was inappropriate and how the general topic could have been posted properly are right on target. I am sorry you don't understand the difference but hopefully one day you won't find yourself the subject of such ugly rumors. Your poor post caused a relative to call a father who called a coach. Little wonder Brad seems to hold the board in low regard. So much time and energy wasted. It was bad enough that the post was made but then when a few offered that it was simply an unsubstantiated rumor and should not be continued, Marshall continued to argue that unsubstantiated rumors are OK to put on the board. People come to read this board to find things out that have some truth to it not stupid rumors. Hopefully a lesson has been learned.

Brad has a formed opinion about this board?

He should be flatered that a bunch of people spend this much time discussing his team.

Am I wrong in thinking that this board was for discussing SLU basketball and things associated with it and if a question is asked of some one or some thing around it that it can be considered with out thinking some one is trying to bring about the end of Billiken Basketball?

First let me start by saying that the tone of my message is not meant to be demeaning in anyway to those who have organized and maintained this board over the years. I have been a reader off and on for quite a while. That being said, I would hope that this board is not being governed in a way that is designed to gain the favor of those related to the program who may or may not be reading it. I am going to make a leap and guess that anyone who is closely affiliated with a player or the program itself may have other resources besides this board and not come here for their information. Also, this board is not the Washington Post! For people to treat is as some holy grail of journalism is just down right silly. Not everyone who reads and posts on this board is able to provide "inside info" about the program. Some people actually come here to talk SLU bball the 5 days of the week there isn't an article in the Post. I would hope that most would welcome that and not crucify them for throwing out a thought that a lot of SLU fans had on Saturday afternoon after Brad's comments on his postgame. I don't think anyone slandered Tommy today, and I am positive that everyone is elated that the "rumors" are unfounded. So my question is, "was it really neccessary to blast Marshall because Brad might hear through the grapevine that some fans of this site may acutally think that a college kid could be struggling with his grades as a freshman and want to know what other fans may be thinking?" Loosen up a little will ya, it's not like our head coach was seen at the U2 concert with Paige Laurie last week!

Faulk, Kappy 96, and Billies. These guys pop up out of nowhere the day after TL gets named rookie of the week for the 3rd time in a row with some BS post about an uncle's rumor of inelgibility. Convinced this was done just to get everyone's dander up and a scathing reaction. You guys don't get what this board is about. A bunch of people with a common interest, call it a passion if you will, in Billiken basketball. We come here and it's like stopping off in Cheers. Do we speculate, opine, provoke...hell yes. That's half the fun. But do we consciously try and start a panic or claim there's a rumor the martians have landed? No. That's why it's hard to believe the three "new" posters mentioned above are Bill's fans. You're right, this is not the Washington Post, but neither is it the National Enquirer or The NEw York Times, which, by your defense of Faulk's post, leads me to believe you three must read on a regular basis. I can say in my five years of posting here never have I read a post so blatantly irresponsible as Faulks. He knew exactly what fears he was playing on and got his desired reaction. Sadly, it's our fault for being baited into responding. Someone should have posted a big IGNORE ABOVE POST NM right after his initial post. Post all you like it shows intcreased interest in the Bills, maybe you'll actually buy a ticket and go to a game, but don't toss out unsubstantiated rumors about one of the most important elements of a young man's life, ie his eligibility to play a sport he loves. Faulk ought to identify his source. The only people I know that could have this kind of sensitive information would be TL's profs or someone employed by the AD. If the latter, he ought to be fired for leaking extremely confidential and personal information. I'm sure the Lidell family would like to know who he is.

first he didnt say he didnt qualify, he said he hopes he will qualify. in case you havent kept track, coming out of vashon the norm is NOT as oppposed to qualifying.

but again, he just stated he hopes he will qualify. that is not the same as saying he didnt when it wasnt true. so i dont see a problem with billikan's statement.

>Contary to what Phan, Kappy and Marshall said this board

>does not normally have postings that are based on

>unsubstantiated rumors about particular players.

Your outrage would be more creditable if you were not also trashing the father of one of our recruits with unsubstantiated claims about his behavior. Grades off limits, trashing family within limits.

As you say, "People come to read this board to find things out that have some truth to it not stupid rumors" I can't imagine how excited the young man is to come and play here after his family is made subject to "such ugly rumors".

Referring to Maguire:

12/8 - I am sorry but if DM is good, I can't imagine that the coach can not figure out a way to take advantage of him. We are missing something here and I am not sure what it is. Maybe his attitude and his father has soured the coach - who knows.

12/8 - I had a h.s. coach tell me last year that DM's father was an incessent complainer - so I wonder how the coach at Edwardsville is handling that issue.

Allright, apparently I need to learn how to use the smiley face when I post something because slu72 thinks I am bitter at the SLU establishment. I just felt the desire to post on this subject because it seemed to me that a few people were being a little "holier than thou" with the board. I appreciate the fact that many of you have been posting here for years, I have enjoyed reading and believe it or not, have gotten a lot of good information from the board. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree as I don't want to belabor my point, but allow me this last question, "if someone had posted something about one of our players having academic struggles and said he heard from his uncle that he might not be eligible for next semester and didn't name his name, are you telling me that the next 4 or 5 replys would have not been filled with possible names?" How can you have a discussion without naming names? Anyway. Thanks for the forum, I appreciate what you all bring to the board. If you'll excuse me, I need to go turn in my season tickets, give back my diploma re-enroll in Avis Meyer's journalism class. I no longer feel qualified to be a Billiken fan. ;-) Lighten up slu72, it's healthy to get some outside opinions once and a while.

Butch who made those comments about DM? Wasn't me, I have no idea what DM or his father's like. Kappy 96, you can agree all you want that it's ok for some dumba** to post an unsubstantiated rumor from Uncle Undisclosed. It's not. It's why we have libel laws in this country. Free speech is great but it was intended to be used rationally, objectively, and factually. Read Nark's post below. This Bullsh** post reached and upset the Liddells. An analogy, you have a 17 year old daughter and Faulk posts on her middleschool board that his uncle heard a rumor she was pregnant or does crack? You gonna agree that's responsible, fair game, no big deal, get over it, chill out etc? As for speculation as to who a player was, I'm not so sure that would be the case unless Faulk, Billie, Billiphan, or you started the speculation.

Taking things a bit personally are we?

No, I was not referring to you, I was replying to cheeseman...look at the thread.

And for the record, I think both sets of posts, about grades and family members cross the line and are inappropriate. Though I think the example you have given is quite humorous and is a few times more outlandish than the grades/trashing family posts.

>I agree with Marshall. Every post on here about any possible

>Public High recruit ends with "will he be academically

>eligible." People on here make assumptions about kids all

>the time and it's no big deal. I don't know why everyone

>freaked out about this. Marshall never said it was gospel.

>He stated he heard a rumor and wanted to know if anyone

>could confirm or deny. Too many people on here think they

>are the moral police.

Phan defends the right to slander a SLU player with a lie, yet gets his panties in a bunch any time someone takes a jab at Mizzou's inept program. Hypocrisy... indeed.

Here at billikens.com we are a family. In every family there is a "black sheep." I'm not going to name names, but I think most of us know who they are. I was once in a category and have tried to make amends. Inflammatory comments like this do anger our close-knit family here on this site. We are seriously about our billikens and we do take it seriously and personally when one of our players, students, faculty or staff has been slandered. We must have use discretion before we post, as this is public forum.

VTIME/PROBLACK signing off.