SIU is

I had this as a loss in my original prognostication.

If you subscribe to the theory that a home court gets you four points no matter what ... something like that I believe is the formula prescribed by Saragrin and others ..... then on a neutral court using simple math, SIU would be favored by seven.

But given that SIU went up and lost to powerhouses like Monmouth and D2 Alaska-Anchorage, I am having second thoughts. I don't think the result will surprise either way it goes. The home court advantage might be negated by our youth. Their youth might negate their pervious respect. It appears, according to the PD, that both teams are lacking upperclass leadership at this point ... in other words, no go-to guy.

I think this will prove to be a pretty good dogfight and I'm thinking that the home fires might carry the day.

>I think Tatum will find it much more difficult going against

>either AD or KL. I look for him to be held under 15.

>

>Bills to win by 9.

Dreja and Lisch are very good defenders, but Tatum is very good and his 37 points is more of a product of sliding him back to the 2 guard. Freshman PG Bryan Mullins is now starting and has the ability to run the offense well.

Mullins and Tatum both have the ability to shut down Lisch offensivly too.

I look for Mike Dale to have a suprising game and make some shots.

I think this game will end close, too close for me to even pick a winner.

Dale already burned us last year in c-dale. he is good. SIU's weakness through the years has been guarding the low post. their great pressure defense usually negates it, but an excellent low post threat really hurts them. if ian gets the touches he is supposed to, he should have a big game, or at least force the double teams. siu has nobody that can handle him inside. hawaii threw 6'9', 6'9" 6'8" and 7'0" at Ian and he had one of the best games of his career. let the big boy eat tonight. however, if our guards cannot handle the pressure of young and tatum, we are in for a long night, and a long season.

bad boyz for life

> Dale already burned us last year in c-dale. he is good.

>SIU's weakness through the years has been guarding the low

>post. their great pressure defense usually negates it, but

>an excellent low post threat really hurts them. if ian gets

>the touches he is supposed to, he should have a big game, or

>at least force the double teams. siu has nobody that can

>handle him inside. hawaii threw 6'9', 6'9" 6'8" and 7'0" at

>Ian and he had one of the best games of his career. let the

>big boy eat tonight. however, if our guards cannot handle

>the pressure of young and tatum, we are in for a long night,

>and a long season.

This is the type of game where the rubber meets the road. Can we beat a solid guard-oriented team who will not expose our lack of a PF on the floor? Should be interesting. If I'm SIU, I pack my defense in the lane to take away Ian and dare SLU to shoot from the perimeter. We need a much better night shooting from young Mr. Lisch and D. Brown.

we have ian, they have shaw and falkner. ian will dominate falkner, however, i doubt one of our guards will out play shaw, plus shaw has the athleticism to likely stay up with one of the billiken guards. still an inside advantage overall for our opponent imo.

i think whatsasaluki hit the nail on the head. the game tonite is a billiken guard outplaying tatum at both ends. that is my main focus to start with anyway.

>If I'm SIU, I pack my defense in the lane to take away Ian and

>dare SLU to shoot from the perimeter. We need a much better

>night shooting from young Mr. Lisch and D. Brown.

SIU will not be packing any lane. They will play tight man defense all night long, and I expect double teams on Ian when he gets it down low.

There is no way Shaw has the athleticism to hang with one of our guards. Shaw may be able to use his combination of strength and athleticism to overpower our guards for points in the paint, but Shaw will not be able to guard Liddell or Brown.

As I said in my 8:00 post, Tatum would be held to under 15 by KL (right) and AD (wrong)-DP played AD's role as primary stopper on the other teams top scorer. Brad commended both DP & KL for their D in his post-game comments. He was also very complimentary to JJ and VN but even more so to IV.

Sorry to be so pessimistic only picking us by 9. Let's kick some butt in Wisc.

By the way, it's the first time I got to see Shaw play and he's a solid player, but I don't see him as the answer to our prayers for a "4". The Saluki I would have liked to have seen in Billiken Blue as a "4" is Faulker. Did he have grade issues or did we just miss on him?

shaw did fine covering the skinny fast guys. it was newborne stepping out that shaw didnt cover. kudos to brad for seeing that and going with vashun in the second half instead of liddell vs shaw. besides vouyoukas, newborne was probably the most instrumental player in the game offensively.

however, assuming tatum's previous game was not a fluke, polk and lisch shutting him off was huge.

it was a weird game. if we could erase the last 10 minutes of the first half, damn that would have been one great performance overall by the billikens. but that 10 minute stretch will get us blown out against better teams.

iowa is overated just because they are in the big ten. we should have beat them last year. the one thing iowa can and should focus on is the size difference. but if our guards are playing well, that should negate the size issue.