Thoughts on JJ

ACE

Let me begin this by saying that I know last night's opponent was awful. But, I've read some very critical reports about JJ on here in the past. Last night was my first look at him for an extended period of time, and I was very impressed. While I doubt he'll be a big impact guy this year, I do see him as a player with a big upside and a kid I'm glad is in the program.

His touch with that mid range jumper is impressive. I thought he brought a lot of intensity and went up strong for rebounds. Yes, he's thin and bigger opponents will be able to push him around a little, but I thought he competed hard. You can tell he's an athlete and that he's quick. I look forward to watching him develop over the next four years. He appears to have the potential to do things athletically that we haven't seen from many Billiken bigs in the past.

5 boards and 1 block (that I saw) in 20 minutes. Nice smooth mid-range jumper. He is a different player at 230 this year than the guy I saw in practice early last year. The SS game was more of a glorified scrimage but one can tell that JJ has progressed. That's good because it looks like Tom Frericks is not conditioned to play heavy minutes and we need other options up front.

who doesn't seem to get the pt you'd like. For me JJ is this years version. I don't disagree with Brad's strategy. I just think we'll be a much better team when JJ is playing significant minutes for us and Varner is picking pine slivers out of his booty. Varner didn't play poorly against Savannah State but we can't count on him beingv really productive against stronger opponents.

ace, i dont remember anyone ever speaking badly of justin for his athletic or basketball skills. the only thing anyone has ever knocked here is his intensity and maturity on and off the floor. i think anyone who has ever seen him practice or play has always been extremely high on his potential as a basketball player if he could get his priorities and focus in line with coach brad.

At this point Varner is tougher than Johnson and in a pinch (which the billikens are always in) Varner can guard a big 4 or small 5. I too would like to see more of JJ and less of Varner. Has Varner ever made a shot within 17 feet? He made on from about the FT line but he repeatedly misses inside shots. If anything JJ can make those and frankly besides not having 3 point range JJ looks like as good a shooter inside the arc as Varner is.

I too was impressed with JJ-it seems like he should be getting somemore PT based on what we saw last night. With regard to TF, I can't understand why some of you continue to talk about him being out of shape. He appears to be in good shape to me BUT I am concerned by his multiple physical ailments (bad neck or shoulder, asthma and brochitus,,sp?). I just think calling him out of shape because he is having trouble breathing due to illness is sending our out-of-town Billikenboard members.

One of the last ally opp plays I remember seeing was during McClain and Edwins freshman year. I remember Floyd tossed and oop to Edwin an I thought this was going to be the start of a good season and great careers for those two. Well, shortly thereafter Floyd got hurt and Edwin flunked out of school....

Mo had some great ally oops. I believe his reverse ally oop against Louisville made SportsCenter's #1 play of the day....and it was on a Saturday.

imo jeffers dunk over the st bonnies player where he literally jumped over the defender is the greatest billiken dunk i have ever seen.

second place goes to hughes inbounds off samaki walkers head and then steps in grabs and dunks all in one motion.

Roy - perfect! I was trying to think of the game that Jeffers did that. That happened down at my end of my floor by my seats and I was floored. I remember Romar's face - even he paused a second in disbelief. Definitely, the best dunk in Billiken dunk in history and one of the best I have seen period. I'd agree on Hughes as the second best. The third best IMO is a dunk Bonner had at the old Kiel Auditorium on a break away steal and he did a 360 degree dunk. I don't know who they were playing.

>>The third best IMO is a dunk Bonner had at the old Kiel Auditorium on a break away steal and he did a 360 degree dunk.<<

Memphis on ESPN. Bonner was on crutches early in the day with two spained ankles. I was at that one.

... the play I am think of was not a steal so maybe it is a different dunk. Two guys were hanging on Bonner which cause him to spin and still dunk. It was "play of the day" on ESPN that night as I recall.

Roy,

You're right about the Jeffers and Hughes' dunks, but I think the old Kiel is still shaking from a dunk Anthony Bonner made off a steal. I'm sorry I can't remember the opponent, but it was in his Junior year early in the season and I don't ever think I ever saw him get that high for a monster jam.