View from afar

slu72

Just some discussion points. I'll bet UB has a ban on any player posting or informing others who do post here. I'd rather doubt that would keep a player like RB on the bench, but it might get him in some hot water. Especially if he continued to leak team info. Brehms would know this, but let's not ask her. Is LM's shot slower than Diener's? If he wants to see a quick release have him watch tape of Pavolick from Charlotte. That kid is rapid fire. I guess JJ still doesn't get it after three years with UB. I don't happen to agree with UB here in this case. I'd tell JJ ok go about it your way but show me something in the games. Course he's got eleven others to think about and if they see JJ getting away with a lax attitude what's to stop them. Even superstars don't have that luxury. Could be why LA wants Kobe out. As stated before, the kid is an enigma giant meal. Too bad 'cause he's sure got the look of the PF we want so bad. AD for 10-12 minutes per game is good. Dont' know why IO didn't start. Do we have any Israeli posters on the board? I wonder where IV is in relationship to the GT center in his soph year? He didn't make an impact until his junior season. I don't think IV's numbers are that bad, but the other team getting 18 offensive rebounds is too many.

10-12 minutes for AD could be too much if he guards like he did Sunday against Diener - AD was beat everytime by Diener. If AD can guard his man then fine 10 -12 minutes per game is fine but we can not have him play defense like he did yesterday. He will absolutely find himself on the bench next year if he keeps this up. Luke's shot is far from quick but he seems to be quicker then when he played earlier in the year. JJ is not going to get to play more minutes unless Brad thinks he earned it - right or wrong. I am heartened to see JJ playing 6-8 mintues a game at all. I think he would have gotten more time had we not been behind so long yesterday.

I love Drejaj's attitude and hard nosed approach. That said, if you followed the game closely, Diener torched Drejaj as soon as he came in and our big lead dwindled to nothing. The problem was that he was screened and he was not quick enough to recover before the ball was on the way to the basket. I watched very carefully when Polk came in because I thought Diener--being about 8 inches taller--would just shoot right over Polk. In fact, Polk did a fantastic job on him and forced him to pass. He jumped the screens and got on Diener before he could shoot. I was very impressed with the way Polk defended on the perimeter. There will be a place for Anthony as a sparkplug and defensive tough guy but he is not the best perimeter defender on the team.

I unfortunately was not able to go to the game, and watched on TV at home and listened on the radio to Rammer and Earl. The lead was lost when Reggie came in. He didn't work hard on D and consistently got beat off of screens. It pains me to say it, but I think he hurt us yesterday.

The kids worked harder and it showed.

mhg

.. will be a four-time letterman in thicks formula and all he brings is attitude and hard nosed approach. which still means he can't shoot and based on the above, can't defend. These types of kids will win us tons of games.

This sounds like a guy about eight or nine on the depth chart ..... if that high.

Taj I agree completely. Him being a complete liability on offense outweighs any advantages that he brings on the defensive end. If he cant shut down anyone then I wouldnt even have him on the court. So far this year if we needed someone shut down than DB would do it.

i am not sure where the drejaj cant defend is coming from. imo, if i had to pick one player to defend an opponent's best guard and defense was the sole selection criteria, it would still be drejaj. brown has shown nights where he looked better, same with polk on sunday, but overall, i would bet soderberg would still go back to anthony who leaves it out on the floor every night.

now that doesnt mean i want drejaj on the floor for 35 minutes. his regression on the offensive end cant be denied. his shot is now just a mess, and he has had some decision difficulties, plus there is no way he can run the floor like brown and polk. but "cant defend" shouldnt be attached to drejaj.

fyi, over the last 6 games, drejaj has more assists and less turnovers than polk.

now i am not saying drejaj should be our point guard. but it seems like there is a lot of piling on drejaj and giving a break to mr polk, when if you look at production, other than polk's breakout scoring sunday, they have played pretty equal productionwise.

dont label drejaj the scapegoat, there is enough underperforming going on to go around for everyone.

people are getting on AD because they want polk to be an all american and are trying to distance him from AD but looking at #s u can't. i'm just tired of people getting on him when he's the hardest worker on the team by far, if the whole team put the type of effort that he put in they we would have a much better record, if he had izik's body and talent hed be an all american

while i just defended anthony, i am also furious that he didnt take the summer more serious. losing fisher and a freshman point guard coming in should have been a sign that anthony needed to fix his jump shot, get into the best shape of his life and improve his ball handling skills. he doesnt appear he did any of that.

i dont deny he lays it out on the floor when he plays, but great players are truly made in june and july, not january and february. you cnat just flip the switch. drejaj let us down badly and that made it easy for the fandom to jump on the flashy polk bandwagon. he gets one more chance. i hope he sticks it in our ear, but to be honest, i am betting on the same drejaj next year.

Roy, my comments about AD's defense was only about my observations from Sunday - I have been relatively moot about AD's defense up to this example. His shooting is a liability and he does get beat by faster players. Also, he has more turnovers then you would want to see from a junior. I have no problem with his playing limited minutes - somebody has to spell Polk. But to say that AD is living up to what a junior should be doing is simply not true.

Actually, Drejaj's numbers are worse than Polks. He has a slightly worse fg %. More turnovers. Less Assists. (Granted these are all comparable). But I think the number one difference between Polk and Drejaj is the way our offense just slows to a halt when Drejaj is playing. When Polk is in the game, things are working much better offensively and in the past few weeks, defensively as well. Combine that with the fact Polk is a freshman and Drejaj is a regressing Junior (who still likes to go out drinking the night before games) I think Drejaj does deserve to take a nice comfortable seat on the bench except for about 10 minutes a game when Polk needs a break.

http://slubillikens.collegesports.com/spor...ativeStats.html

Nope. Diener was the charter recipient of the Diener award because a few members of the board expected him to be a stud as a senior. As it was, we got the worst male Diener period. No one except Mrs Drejaj (Billikenburg) expected Drejaj to be an offensive force this year. We all did expect him to play tough D though......

As much as people want those players with heart to get playing time, you need more than that as well. Just as you need more than God given talent. I think AD does have heart and I like him, but I have been saying for some time, that he is a loose cannon. You never know what you are going to get. I remember watching an away game this year - don't remember which one - and the other teams play by play guys were saying how AD was an average at best ball handler and that couldn't see why SLU ever let him run the point. I think AD has a place on this team though. Someone said he should get 10 minutes a game and I would agree with that. I said that earlier in the year and some Wooden wanna be called me out and told me how little I knew about basketball and if I questioned AD for even a minute, I just needed to remember last year against Iowa. I guess I should list all the games he's been a non-factor, but I think my fingers would get tired from typing.