Welcome Kobe Johnson!!

9 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

The thing is.... for the spacing to work well for Schertz's system, all 5 positions need to be a scoring threat. At least to my limited understanding. So I assume Schertz does believe he can be a scoring threat. Idk. 🤷‍♂️ 

Of course he can score, the tape shows that and I believe it, but what I mean is in the starting lineup he's realistically our fourth or fifth option. The best defensive guards will be assigned to Swope and Gibby, forwards obviously won't be guarding him, so his production relative to expectations oughta be no problem whatsoever. I expect his scoring output to increase from last year 

36 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Of course he can score, the tape shows that and I believe it, but what I mean is in the starting lineup he's realistically our fourth or fifth option. The best defensive guards will be assigned to Swope and Gibby, forwards obviously won't be guarding him, so his production relative to expectations oughta be no problem whatsoever. I expect his scoring output to increase from last year 

Living in WV,  but not a WVU fan, I still saw maybe 10 WVU games.  Johnson will score more than 6 points a game.  He is a terrific athlete who can penetrate and in Schertz's system, I think his 3 point shooting percent will be much better due to improved shot selection and a step down in competition.  Let's be honest, the talent level he faced in the Big 12 is pretty awesome.

TRN, cgeldmacher and Old guy like this

@WVBilliken, I watched a lot of SEC and Big 12 games this last season and fully agree the basketball played in these conferences is (or was for last season) much above that played in the A10 (last season)/

4 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Living in WV,  but not a WVU fan, I still saw maybe 10 WVU games.  Johnson will score more than 6 points a game.  He is a terrific athlete who can penetrate and in Schertz's system, I think his 3 point shooting percent will be much better due to improved shot selection and a step down in competition.  Let's be honest, the talent level he faced in the Big 12 is pretty awesome.

I agree completely. Expect he can match Larry's production at least in counting numbers. 

On 5/12/2024 at 11:05 AM, ACE said:

Now we got the starting guard we needed!!! Based on numbers and video, I liked him a little better than Roddie. Wiz, which guard is better according to your computer?

Here is a post I made May 1st in the "Transfer 2024" thread regarding Roddie Anderson....

...he was a scorer...He was 2nd on the team at UCSD with 13.1pts /gm  2 yrs ago.  The problem was he was an inefficient scorer. This shows up in the report card where he had F- in FG%, 2P% and  3P% .  He had a B- in FTs. This was a full sample size too in every category.  When you are the 2nd leading scorer on a team and  have an F- card , it shows that their is something wrong.   That something reared it's head on the UCSD final record of 10-20.

So UCSD was 2 yrs ago. What about his time at  Boise St last year ...they were 22-11.  Again he finished with F- again across the board including FTs.  His numbers were actually worse across the board. The difference  though every category was a small sample size...which means he shot a lot less in every category. He averaged only 6.5pts/gm. ...less than half his previous year.  He was the 5th leading scorer not even close to #4. He did less damage to BSU than UCSD and they were able to win.

Bottom line....In the earlier post in this thread , I asked the computer if it would take this guy and it said yes...as a bench player ...10th- 13th spot. The computer is a cold calculating machine that only looks at data (although that is starting to change)...It thinks taking him as a bench player is OK.   From a people point of view , nobody goes into the portal to be a 10-13th player. I would pass on this guy. The last 2 years ISU was number 1  ITN in 2P%.  You don't get there by taking F- shooters.

So this takes us to Kobe....Here is what his report card looks like on the slash....C+ / D+ / F- / B...this is a bit better than the the Roddie slash of F- / F- /  F-/ B-.... but at first glance still doesn't seem like a Schertz player. But there is more to this than meets the eye. First, Roddie numbers are a full sample size, Kobe's are not.  In fact , if you combine all 3 years only 1 stat equals a full sample for 1 year for Kobe.  Let me take a time out here on sample sizes.  If you have a full sample size and have a poor report card (especially if you have 2+ years ) the computer doesn't holdout  much hope for improvement ...you are what you are(Roddie).  If, however, you don't have any full sample sizes then there is the possibility of improvement. (Kobe).  OK timeout over.  Instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, it is better to try and figure out what you have.  So my question to the computer is ...what is the upside of Kobe?...A+/ A+ / F- / A+...Well now that is more Schertz like but a strange line both overall and compared to the original. 

The computer looked at the numbers and decided that he is not a 3 pt shooter. But couldn't he be a better one under the Schertz system?...a weaker league than the B12  might mean less pressure and more 3PM.  This could be possible but the machine thinks that Kobe is a 2 pt shooter and that if he worked on that skill under the Schertz system while taking fewer 3s he could be an outstanding 2 shooter.  Yeah but....no buts...the computer thinks he could be a top 100 2P shooter.  That is why the line looks strange...the 2P potential is so strong that the few 3s don't matter as much. Also taking more 2s will generate more FTs and the computer thinks he can excel there too.   So the mystery is solved...he is or could be a Schertz type player. You will note from the bolded quote above that ISU was #1 team in 2s.  If he can make 2s and FTs he fits the pattern.

Bottom line...The real reason Kobe is on the team is because of his upside potential.  The computer didn't see that potential in Roddie....side note...so far most of the players the computer hasn't liked have wound up else where.  If Kobe can adapt to the Schertz system  and realize his potential he could be a valuable member of the Bills team this coming season.

8 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Here is a post I made May 1st in the "Transfer 2024" thread regarding Roddie Anderson....

...he was a scorer...He was 2nd on the team at UCSD with 13.1pts /gm  2 yrs ago.  The problem was he was an inefficient scorer. This shows up in the report card where he had F- in FG%, 2P% and  3P% .  He had a B- in FTs. This was a full sample size too in every category.  When you are the 2nd leading scorer on a team and  have an F- card , it shows that their is something wrong.   That something reared it's head on the UCSD final record of 10-20.

So UCSD was 2 yrs ago. What about his time at  Boise St last year ...they were 22-11.  Again he finished with F- again across the board including FTs.  His numbers were actually worse across the board. The difference  though every category was a small sample size...which means he shot a lot less in every category. He averaged only 6.5pts/gm. ...less than half his previous year.  He was the 5th leading scorer not even close to #4. He did less damage to BSU than UCSD and they were able to win.

Bottom line....In the earlier post in this thread , I asked the computer if it would take this guy and it said yes...as a bench player ...10th- 13th spot. The computer is a cold calculating machine that only looks at data (although that is starting to change)...It thinks taking him as a bench player is OK.   From a people point of view , nobody goes into the portal to be a 10-13th player. I would pass on this guy. The last 2 years ISU was number 1  ITN in 2P%.  You don't get there by taking F- shooters.

So this takes us to Kobe....Here is what his report card looks like on the slash....C+ / D+ / F- / B...this is a bit better than the the Roddie slash of F- / F- /  F-/ B-.... but at first glance still doesn't seem like a Schertz player. But there is more to this than meets the eye. First, Roddie numbers are a full sample size, Kobe's are not.  In fact , if you combine all 3 years only 1 stat equals a full sample for 1 year for Kobe.  Let me take a time out here on sample sizes.  If you have a full sample size and have a poor report card (especially if you have 2+ years ) the computer doesn't holdout  much hope for improvement ...you are what you are(Roddie).  If, however, you don't have any full sample sizes then there is the possibility of improvement. (Kobe).  OK timeout over.  Instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, it is better to try and figure out what you have.  So my question to the computer is ...what is the upside of Kobe?...A+/ A+ / F- / A+...Well now that is more Schertz like but a strange line both overall and compared to the original. 

The computer looked at the numbers and decided that he is not a 3 pt shooter. But couldn't he be a better one under the Schertz system?...a weaker league than the B12  might mean less pressure and more 3PM.  This could be possible but the machine thinks that Kobe is a 2 pt shooter and that if he worked on that skill under the Schertz system while taking fewer 3s he could be an outstanding 2 shooter.  Yeah but....no buts...the computer thinks he could be a top 100 2P shooter.  That is why the line looks strange...the 2P potential is so strong that the few 3s don't matter as much. Also taking more 2s will generate more FTs and the computer thinks he can excel there too.   So the mystery is solved...he is or could be a Schertz type player. You will note from the bolded quote above that ISU was #1 team in 2s.  If he can make 2s and FTs he fits the pattern.

Bottom line...The real reason Kobe is on the team is because of his upside potential.  The computer didn't see that potential in Roddie....side note...so far most of the players the computer hasn't liked have wound up else where.  If Kobe can adapt to the Schertz system  and realize his potential he could be a valuable member of the Bills team this coming season.

That's what I thought (and hoped) the computer would conclude. Thanks