BenFred Article 12/23

slu92

24 minutes ago, Soderball said:

What do MBMs think of Schertz at INST? They've been really good this year and have a team with some young players.

Avila and Swope would probably help next year.

I'm interested in the Indiana State situation for two reasons.  Schertz is a former D2 championship coach.  If Indiana State can secure an NCAA bid this year, programs who had shied away from hiring D2 coaches may begin to take a serious look.

I'm also curious as to whether his two probable MVC first-teamers stay loyal to Schertz.  They don't have to be part of a coach/player package deal.  They would have enough portal value to get the best deal for themselves independent of the coach's decision.

TheA_Bomb likes this

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/22/2023 at 5:00 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Blake Ahearn (Memphis Grizzlies assistant).  Ben McCollum (Northwest Missouri St.).  Josh Schertz (Indiana St.)

Hiring a coach with 3 or 4 NCAA appearances but with no NCAA appearances but without the stench of failure at SLU would result in MBMs flooding the Billiken Victory Fund with dollars.  I totally get the allure of McCollum.  If he's the 2nd coming of Bo Ryan, he's a once in a lifetime hire.  If his system doesn't translate to D1, then he will be an also-ran.  High risk, high reward.

Oh, I forgot a guy on the under 55 list:
Chris Mack (9)

Travis Ford (7)
John Becker (5)
Bryce Drew (5)
Cuonzo Martin (4)
John Groce (4)
Andy Kennedy (3)
Pat Kelsey (3)

https://theathletic.com/4052114/2023/01/03/marquette-shaka-smart-tyler-kolek/

On 12/24/2023 at 2:09 PM, 3star_recruit said:

I'm interested in the Indiana State situation for two reasons.  Schertz is a former D2 championship coach.  If Indiana State can secure an NCAA bid this year, programs who had shied away from hiring D2 coaches may begin to take a serious look.

I'm also curious as to whether his two probable MVC first-teamers stay loyal to Schertz.  They don't have to be part of a coach/player package deal.  They would have enough portal value to get the best deal for themselves independent of the coach's decision.

He's an example of the sort of coach i'd like us to hire. Someone who's got players and is ready to take us from zero to hero right away. I've seen so many years of "rebuilding" that i'm pretty sure the "rebuilt" part is a mirage.

On 12/22/2023 at 2:33 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Now that I think about it, the list of available coaches with the parameters I cited is a short list:

UNDER 55 WITH 3 OR MORE NCAA APPEARANCES

Chris Mack (9)
Travis Ford (7)
John Becker (5)
Bryce Drew (5)
Cuonzo Martin (4)
John Groce (4)
Andy Kennedy (3)

Everybody else is already in a P6 job or recently took another position.  Or am I missing somebody?

No thanks on any of these guys, except maybe Mack.

FWIW, PJ Carlesimo was the logical choice 8 or 9 yrs ago, but he is no longer interested/available. The logical choice now is the legendary Billy Gillespie. He’s currently out on medical leave(similar to Majerus before his SLU hire) Hopefully, CM had already begun the process of building rapport with BG.

57 minutes ago, David King said:

FWIW, PJ Carlesimo was the logical choice 8 or 9 yrs ago, but he is no longer interested/available. The logical choice now is the legendary Billy Gillespie. He’s currently out on medical leave(similar to Majerus before his SLU hire) Hopefully, CM had already begun the process of building rapport with BG.

I think you're serious. Gillespie hasn't done anything since 2008. Dude has issues. You know he didn't sign a contract at UK, was let go after 2 seasons then tried to sue for $6mil?! He hasn't exactly torn it up at Tarleton State either.

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, David King said:

David King scouts hospitals far and wide for the best coaching talent. How about Dick Vitale?! He just beat cancer, he can surely beat Dayton! Jesuit institution coaching experience, just like Majerus!!! This is awesome, baby!!!

Thought exercise for anyone.

Without looking up or guessing names, take a look at the following career results from coaches with similar backgrounds.

If something isn’t listed, that coach doesn’t have it. It’s just a quick thought exercise. There is no trick. None are suggested to be SLU’s next coach.

Perception isn’t always reality. 

SLU for example had Ken Pomeroy Ratings ratings of 14, 19, and 35 in 2012-2014. SLU hasn’t had a KenPom season in the top 50 since, and, SLU has just one season in the top 60 since those seasons.

For anyone unfamiliar with Ken Pomeroy Ratings, this is an explainer of what he does, this is a good explainer:

https://www.onthebanks.com/platform/amp/2019/12/9/21002735/kenpom-rankings-explained-how-to-better-evaluate-rutgers-basketball-big-ten-ncaa-steve-pikiell

Coach A:

8 KenPom top 50 seasons, 5 of them were top 20. 5 times won 70% or more of league games. 3 Regular Season league titles, 4 league runner ups. 9 NCAA Tourneys. 3 Sweet 16’s. 1 Elite 8. 

Coach B:

12 KenPom top 50 seasons. 7 were top 15 or better. 4 times won 70% or more of league games. 4 Regular Season league titles. 9 NCAA Tourneys. 3 Sweet 16’s 1 Final Four.

Coach C

10 KenPom top 50 seasons. 4 were top 20 or better. 4 times won 70% or more of league games. 1 league title, 2 league runner ups. 11 NCAA Tourneys. 1 Final Four.

Coach D

5 KenPom top 50 seasons. 0 top 20. 2 times won 70% or more of league games. 1 Regular Season league title. 2 league runner ups. 7 NCAA Tourneys.

Coach E:

13 KenPom top 50 seasons, 6 were top 20 or better. 6 times won 70% or more of league games. 2 Regular Season league titles, 4 league runner ups. 12 NCAA Tourneys. 1 Sweet 16. 1 Elite 8.
MariaReynolds likes this

On 1/4/2024 at 2:14 PM, courtside said:

Thought exercise for anyone.

Without looking up or guessing names, take a look at the following career results from coaches with similar backgrounds.

If something isn’t listed, that coach doesn’t have it. It’s just a quick thought exercise. There is no trick. None are suggested to be SLU’s next coach.

Perception isn’t always reality. 

SLU for example had Ken Pomeroy Ratings ratings of 14, 19, and 35 in 2012-2014. SLU hasn’t had a KenPom season in the top 50 since, and, SLU has just one season in the top 60 since those seasons.

For anyone unfamiliar with Ken Pomeroy Ratings, this is an explainer of what he does, this is a good explainer:

https://www.onthebanks.com/platform/amp/2019/12/9/21002735/kenpom-rankings-explained-how-to-better-evaluate-rutgers-basketball-big-ten-ncaa-steve-pikiell

Coach A:

8 KenPom top 50 seasons, 5 of them were top 20. 5 times won 70% or more of league games. 3 Regular Season league titles, 4 league runner ups. 9 NCAA Tourneys. 3 Sweet 16’s. 1 Elite 8. 

Coach B:

12 KenPom top 50 seasons. 7 were top 15 or better. 4 times won 70% or more of league games. 4 Regular Season league titles. 9 NCAA Tourneys. 3 Sweet 16’s 1 Final Four.

Coach 😄

10 KenPom top 50 seasons. 4 were top 20 or better. 4 times won 70% or more of league games. 1 league title, 2 league runner ups. 11 NCAA Tourneys. 1 Final Four.

Coach 😧

5 KenPom top 50 seasons. 0 top 20. 2 times won 70% or more of league games. 1 Regular Season league title. 2 league runner ups. 7 NCAA Tourneys.

Coach E:

13 KenPom top 50 seasons, 6 were top 20 or better. 6 times won 70% or more of league games. 2 Regular Season league titles, 4 league runner ups. 12 NCAA Tourneys. 1 Sweet 16. 1 Elite 8.

Huh?!?!

What is the point of this? 

This is why the bad post function must come back. You probably spent a great deal of time crafting this post, which is meaningless, absolutely no point to it. Is that the point you are trying to make, perception vs reality? I glossed over this post saw the format and decided to re read, it looks smart. But in reality it is the dumbest post I've seen in months.

On 1/6/2024 at 11:57 PM, thetorch said:

Huh?!?!

What is the point of this? 

This is why the bad post function must come back. You probably spent a great deal of time crafting this post, which is meaningless, absolutely no point to it. Is that the point you are trying to make, perception vs reality? I glossed over this post saw the format and decided to re read, it looks smart. But in reality it is the dumbest post I've seen in months.

I would have eventually posted the answer key and explainer, but after your post, now I won’t after your post. 

You may want to try a different strategy. 

The troll/bad post buttons no longer exist because the board moderator removed them. This was at the same time after you spent months clicking the troll post button on all of my posts regardless of content or topic. Those buttons were’t a good idea for exactly that reason. 

Petulance, impulse control, and the inability to be decent and respectful are some of the reasons why you sit at the kids table. Sure money helps. But it’s more about the other things.

Why is do you think I sometimes know things about SLU Athletics that others don’t know? Do you think it’s magic? It turns out that being decent and respectful go a long way 

Oh, almost forgot, you’d think a big Billikens fan like yourself would recognize the resume of a SLU Head Coach when you saw it. And for someone else who lives in Austin, TX, you’d think that person would recognize the resume of someone who coached there for six seasons. 

Schasz and MariaReynolds like this

8 minutes ago, courtside said:

I would have eventually posted the answer key and explainer, but after your post, now I won’t after your post. 

The troll/bad post buttons no longer exist because the board moderator removed them. This was at the same time after you spent months clicking the troll post button on all of my posts regardless of content or topic. Those buttons were’t a good idea for exactly that reason. 

Petulance, impulse control, and the inability to be decent and respectful are some of the reasons why you sit at the kids table. Sure money helps. But it’s more about the other things.

Why is do you think I sometimes know things about SLU Athletics that others don’t know? Do you think it’s magic? It turns out that being decent and respectful go a long way 

Oh, almost forgot, you’d think a big Billikens fan like yourself would recognize the resume of a SLU Head Coach when you saw it. And for someone else who lives in Austin, TX, you’d think that person would recognize the resume of someone who coached there for six seasons. 

Bad post 

billiken_roy likes this

14 minutes ago, courtside said:

Your post just made no sense. You should spend your time posting things that make sense instead. Boooo. Lame.

billiken_roy likes this

4 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Your post just made no sense. You should spend your time posting things that make sense instead. Boooo. Lame.

Exactly here's a thought experiment.  Wait what's the experiment a list of coaches with no names. Ok Cool. Dude is a legend in his own mind. Has nothing better to do since he can't go near middle schools anymore.

27 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Exactly here's a thought experiment.  Wait what's the experiment a list of coaches with no names. Ok Cool. Dude is a legend in his own mind. Has nothing better to do since he can't go near middle schools anymore.

Some people here are frustrated because SLU Athletics repeats its some of its same mistakes and failures without changing their approach. Sounds like your posts. Same failed strategy and same failed material. Sounds like you’re tired. 

Unlike SLU Athletics, the solution is much easier and much less complex. But the same few people can’t get out of their own way and be decent and respectful. Group social validation must be a powerful drug. 

It’s funny how I receive a much different tone when some of the same people message me away from the group forum, asking me what’s going on with the basketball program.

4 minutes ago, courtside said:

Some people here are frustrated because SLU Athletics repeats its some of its same mistakes and failures without changing their approach. Sounds like your posts. Same failed strategy and same failed material. Sounds like you’re tired. 

Unlike SLU Athletics, the solution is much easier and much less complex. But the same few people can’t get out of their own way and be decent and respectful. Group social validation must be a powerful drug. 

It’s funny how I receive a much different tone when some of the same people message me away from the group forum, asking me what’s going on with the basketball program.

Bad post

billiken_roy likes this

3 hours ago, courtside said:

Most pretentious post ever on billikens.com

4 hours ago, courtside said:

seriously?  you are telling us why you are so awesome and we should adore you?   IMO you are the most nauseating poster on this board.   because of you i never read a word in any thread with a hint of soccer in it.  

slu72, Soderball and TheA_Bomb like this

48 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

seriously?  you are telling us why you are so awesome and we should adore you?   IMO you are the most nauseating poster on this board.   because of you i never read a word in any thread with a hint of soccer in it.  

You should tell him what you really think, B’roy. It was an incredibly inane post by the way. I find it hard to believe any of those coaches exist, but if they do why would they be looking for a job? 

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

No Roy. I told a few people that if they want more information, which they apparently do, they need to be more decent and respectful. I also offered to everyone else that they could message me for more information. 

1 minute ago, courtside said:

No Roy. I told a few people that if they want more information, which they apparently do, they need to be more decent and respectful. I also offered to everyone else that they could message me for more information. 

i'd message the easter bunny (and feel more confident with his answers) before i'd ask anything your arrogant thoughts.

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

You should tell him what you really think, B’roy. It was an incredibly inane post by the way. I find it hard to believe any of those coaches exist, but if they do why would they be looking for a job? 

I didn’t say whether or not any of those coaches were seeking a job. I did say that my post was not about choosing SLU’s next coach. 

I do appreciate you illustrating the grand canyon sized reading comprehension problem with the board. 

How does that work? People read something, then they fabricate what they read. When they repeat the new fabricated meaning, that doesn’t make it any more true. That sounds like politics. 

Some people are taking something very simple and making it much more difficult than it needs to be. 

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i'd message the easter bunny (and feel more confident with his answers) before i'd ask anything your arrogant thoughts.

Yet here you are just like those same few people. You’re going to tell me how much you don’t read what I post by responding to what I post. 

Just now, courtside said:

Yet here you are just like those same few people. You’re going to tell me how much you don’t read what I post by responding to what I post. 

i dont read the soccer strings because i know every other post is your's and knowing how your arrogant all knowing approach will be it would just antagonize me.   as your presense in this (non soccer thread) has done.   i guarantee you stay in your (apparently you own those from what i have been told) soccer threads i would have never responded to you.  but like any post of yours is akin to a bad car wreck it is hard not to stare at it when you drive by and sometimes i just have to tell you how irritating you really are then.