Serious Question

slu92

18 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

That's part of the problem.  Many folks have unreasonable expectations about what coaches would come here, and think that just because they say that we're having high expectations this means a big name coach will be willing sign with us.

I thought the problem was not having high enough expectations and being willing to settle for mediocrity.  Unfortunately, you cant just declare your high expectations ala Michael Scott and have it mean anything.....  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

I thought the problem was not having high enough expectations and being willing to settle for mediocrity.  Unfortunately, you cant just declare your high expectations ala Michael Scott and have it mean anything.....  

I like the idea of having high expectations and working to achieve those, but that has nothing to do with what an outside coach will do.  If the worst team in Division 1 and all of its fans all say that have the highest expectations, that doesn't mean a good coach will go there, just because they decide they have high expectations.  A person can say that the Billikens have high expectations for the program and should have high expectations for the program, and, at the same time, say that a good coach will not come here, and both of those statements can be true.

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I like the idea of having high expectations and working to achieve those, but that has nothing to do with what an outside coach will do.  If the worst team in Division 1 and all of its fans all say that have the highest expectations, that doesn't mean a good coach will go there, just because they decide they have high expectations.  A person can say that the Billikens have high expectations for the program and should have high expectations for the program, and, at the same time, say that a good coach will not come here, and both of those statements can be true.

Completely disagree that a good coach wouldn't come here. This program has so much potential. 

JMM28, AGB91, TheA_Bomb and 1 other like this

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Completely disagree that a good coach wouldn't come here. This program has so much potential. 

Exactly and I takes the right coach not necessarily established or one with a known name.  Did Pat Kelsey have a "name" prior to going to CoC

Bizziken likes this

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Exactly and I takes the right coach not necessarily established or one with a known name.  Did Pat Kelsey have a "name" prior to going to CoC

May hit the lottery with Rebecca Tillet, a coach on the come up. It's a lot easier to do that in sports that aren't Men's Basketball. If/when Travis is let go, May might have to sack up and gamble on an up and comer. Although I'd love to get a guy that's already a name.

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

If by good you mean a coach that has been to the NCAA tournament multiple times, we have such a coach.  We were able to get him even though the program was a dumpster fire before he got here.  Rhode Island and UMass got coaches with even more impressive resumes to come to their programs last year. 

So I have no doubt that A-10 programs willing to spend money can get a coach who has been to the tournament multiple times. 

But If by good coach you mean a coach that will most assuredly lead YOUR program to multiple NCAA tournaments, that list is very short.  And it's the same list every mid-major fan in America has.  Everybody else is gambling the guy they picked works out.

19 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

May hit the lottery with Rebecca Tillet, a coach on the come up. It's a lot easier to do that in sports that aren't Men's Basketball. If/when Travis is let go, May might have to sack up and gamble on an up and comer. Although I'd love to get a guy that's already a name.

I don't disagree with that idea.  I think that is the route we will have to go.  My issue is with all the guys on the board expecting that we would bring in a big name.

On 11/15/2023 at 2:42 PM, gabriel said:

We should be able to do much better than Harriman. 

Yeah and we SHOULD be able to finish higher than 4th in the A10 more often than once a decade.

But that isn't the reality we're living in is it?