Billiken Volleyball 2024 - The Beaty Era Begins

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I probably just have read this message board too long, but a tweet from SLU that says "Year 1 in the Valley" made me do a double take

Ha! Yep, they changed conferences without telling us. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, so win today and we are the 6 seed in the conference tournament, if Duquesne loses we are also in, lose and we still might be based on an obscure tiebreaker if Duquesne wins today. I hope I have that right, couldn’t make last nights win, I was double booked at Hermann stadium, Coach Beaty can blame my not being here on Gaebe, Larson, Puricelli, et al.

Hey, per the A10, we own the tiebreaker over Fordham! We did NOT finish 6th, we finished 5th! Great job! We are off to the conference tournament! We get to play the number 4 seed, Davidson!  Where is the tournament? Davidson! 😟

Oh well, it was going to be a tough draw anyway. We are playing with house money here, so go all out and give it a shot. Glad they made it, a good building block for the future. Play in the tournament like your hair is on fire and you have nothing to lose ladies!!!! Roll Bills!!!!

7 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Volleyball beat Davidson 3-1 in Belk to advance in the A10 tournament. Tough assignment next, number 1 seed Dayton,  who’s 29-2 on the season, and was perfect (18-0) in A10 play. Game tomorrow, noon CST on ESPN+

That was just the second time the Billikens have finished a win in 4 sets. Solid, solid W and a true road game too.  

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Volleyball beat Davidson 3-1 in Belk to advance in the A10 tournament. Tough assignment next, number 1 seed Dayton,  who’s 29-2 on the season, and was perfect (18-0) in A10 play. Game tomorrow, noon CST on ESPN+

We were the only team to take a set against Dayton in their last 17 matches.

17 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

So a 16-15 record. Doesn’t seem much better than the Miller era.

Yeah, but it was clear we had reached Miller’s ceiling as a coach.  No reason that has to be the program’s limit. Remember, due to renovation at Chaifetz Pavillion, the Billikens were not able to schedule a single home match in non-conference play this year. There are places where women’s college volleyball matches routinely draw paying crowds in the thousands, it would be nice to see if we could find a way to join them, rather than just continue to accept mediocrity.

PS- I’d also point out our last year under Brad Soderberg, we were 20-13, tied for 6th in the A10, next year, first year under Rick Majerus? 16-15, tied for 9th in the A10. We didn’t have a better season under Rick Majerus until his 3rd season.

21 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Bummer, not unanticipated. They did take them to 4 sets, only Loy-Chi did that in addition to the Billikens, Dayton just steamrolled everyone else. 

It's a shame Loyola Chicago had a player miss games because, I believe, of a parent death. We could easily be looking at a multi bid A10 for the first time in a long time. I don't think it's happened since it was SLU and Dayton. Temple and Xavier put really good teams on the floor back then too.

Volleyball in the A10 has really got a shot in the arm with Loyola joining.