Combo Guard

ACE

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SLUMS81 said:

Thames was doing monster jams during pregame warmups.  Doesn’t look like someone on the pup list.

we're they one handed or two handed?  two handed means he's probably still too injured to play. 

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

So we had Yuri, Pickett, Perkins, Thatch, Kramer, Thames, Parker, Hughes, and Gimerson and you wanted another guard?  Obviously, Kramer and Thatch aren't available and Perkins is a shadow of his former self and we know that now.  What kind of combo guard do you think we could've gotten with this kind of playing time available?  Not a great one.  To those who wonder why we don't a have another forward, Daniel Rivera, the forgotten Billiken was supposed to be here too.  I'm not saying we couldn't use a solid 4 and combo guard but lets be a little bit fair here..... 

Yes I did and I said so prior to the season. DeAndre Jones average 15 mpg last year - spelling Yuri and sometimes playing alongside him when we needed a secondary ballhandler. That role was not adequately filled on the roster.

Just now, ACE said:

Yes I did and I said so prior to the season. DeAndre Jones average 15 mpg last year - spelling Yuri and sometimes playing alongside him when we needed a secondary ballhandler. That role was not adequately filled on the roster.

Nope, it was not.  This by committee was a terrible approach to fix any issues. 

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

Do you think DeAndre would've come here this year?

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

So we had Yuri, Pickett, Perkins, Thatch, Kramer, Thames, Parker, Hughes, and Gimerson and you wanted another guard?  Obviously, Kramer and Thatch aren't available and Perkins is a shadow of his former self and we know that now.  What kind of combo guard do you think we could've gotten with this kind of playing time available?  Not a great one.  To those who wonder why we don't a have another forward, Daniel Rivera, the forgotten Billiken was supposed to be here too.  I'm not saying we couldn't use a solid 4 and combo guard but lets be a little bit fair here..... 

the ford hatred trumps any sense of fairness or objectivity on this board, heck many cannot even enjoy a win because it wasnt a blowout win, the billikens are a half a game out of first place . what would make these haters happen? i guess being undefeated, 

11 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

the ford hatred trumps any sense of fairness or objectivity on this board, heck many cannot even enjoy a win because it wasnt a blowout win, the billikens are a half a game out of first place . what would make these haters happen? i guess being undefeated, 

Trust me I know........FDS no longer stands for feminine deodorant spray.....

7 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

A result of the time we live in?  People wanting instant gratification?  Having the ability to change the channel and find about anything you want?  There’s only so much time to devote to certain things when you work, have a family, or if the product isn’t up to par you have to make a decision.  When you wait 7-8 months for what is supposed to be the best thing in a long time and it turns out to be a disappointment, what do you expect people to do?  I’ve touted this team to family for months.  FINALLY SLU was going to be on par with KY and Louisville (nobody expected UL to suck like this).  Preseason hype, Ford screaming how deep they are…for what???  To need a miracle run on the A10 tournament like every other year?  

1 minute ago, BANGheGOTit said:

A result of the time we live in?  People wanting instant gratification?  Having the ability to change the channel and find about anything you want?  There’s only so much time to devote to certain things when you work, have a family, or if the product isn’t up to par you have to make a decision.  When you wait 7-8 months for what is supposed to be the best thing in a long time and it turns out to be a disappointment, what do you expect people to do?  I’ve touted this team to family for months.  FINALLY SLU was going to be on par with KY and Louisville (nobody expected UL to suck like this).  Preseason hype, Ford screaming how deep they are…for what???  To need a miracle run on the A10 tournament like every other year?  

Let’s keep the half game out of first in perspective.  We still have to go to VCU who currently holds the half game lead and head to head tie breaker.  If Dayton wins tonight we are a game out of first but behind Dayton in 3rd due to the head to head and one more game with them.  If Fordham win their next game and we lose, they are 8-4 and in 4th place ahead of us because of the head to head.  Road wins are tough.  This version of the A10 is unpredictable.  The Dukes seem to be hitting their stride.  We’ve already lost to Umass.  This half-game out of first is at a critical juncture. 5th place and out of the double bye is way too close.  A win tonight is HUGE.

42 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Do you think DeAndre would've come here this year?

Yes, I think he should have at least been able to find an equivalent player. 

The RM team in 2011-12 team had Mitchell, McCall, Jett and Cassity. After Cassity graduates, RM signs Keith Carter.  It helps to have multiple good ball handlers rather than expecting one player to carry the load.

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

The RM team in 2011-12 team had Mitchell, McCall, Jett and Cassity. After Cassity graduates, RM signs Keith Carter.  It helps to have multiple good ball handlers rather than expecting one player to carry the load.

Well, that's what happens when your coach is obsessed with Wings.  

41 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Let’s keep the half game out of first in perspective.  We still have to go to VCU who currently holds the half game lead and head to head tie breaker.  If Dayton wins tonight we are a game out of first but behind Dayton in 3rd due to the head to head and one more game with them.  If Fordham win their next game and we lose, they are 8-4 and in 4th place ahead of us because of the head to head.  Road wins are tough.  This version of the A10 is unpredictable.  The Dukes seem to be hitting their stride.  We’ve already lost to Umass.  This half-game out of first is at a critical juncture. 5th place and out of the double bye is way too close.  A win tonight is HUGE.

Fordham is already in 4th place. If they win and we lose, they’ll be in 3rd and we’ll be in 4th. VCU, Dayton, Fordham, then us. And we hold the tiebreaker over 5th place St. Bs. I agree with the sentiment that we’re not in as strong of a position as some would lead you believe (because of a backloaded schedule) but we’re not a game away from being out of the double bye.

19 minutes ago, ACE said:

I must've forgotten all the great plays Carter made for us during his time here.  That was a great signing.  I stand corrected......

Does anybody know if there is any conversation about bringing back Phillip Russell? I think he still has 2 years of eligibility and would be a great add for next season. I understand why he left, but man, would've loved to have kept him.

Marlow likes this

1 hour ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Yes a win is huge, but a loss is not a season ender, Fordham and the bonnies are not likely to run the table so they will most likely to have to have additional losses 

35 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I must've forgotten all the great plays Carter made for us during his time here.  That was a great signing.  I stand corrected......

Strange response... he left because RM (who recruited him) died and he didn't want to play for Crews - hard to blame him. Carter went on to have a very nice career. The point is that RM saw the value in having multiple versatile guards who could handle the ball on his roster. When Cassity graduated (who was essentially the 4th combo guard on the roster) he felt it important enough to get another guard who could handle the rock. Hard to argue with that.

brianstl and majerus mojo like this

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

Strange response... he left because RM (who recruited him) died and he didn't want to play for Crews - hard to blame him. Carter went on to have a very nice career. The point is that RM saw the value in having multiple versatile guards who could handle the ball on his roster. When Cassity graduated (who was essentially the 4th combo guard on the roster) he felt it important enough to get another guard who could handle the rock. Hard to argue with that.

My point is that we were not going to get a good player to be 7th or 8th on the depth chart at guard at the beginning of the year.  Carter wasn't horrible for Valpo I guess but we weren't going to get a player of his caliber either.  Hard to argue with that too....

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

Yes a win is huge, but a loss is not a season ender, Fordham and the bonnies are not likely to run the table so they will most likely to have to have additional losses 

But a loss and Fordham win puts us in 4th place with possibly a harder schedule than Fordham, and Fordham, Dayton, and VCU all having at least one head to head win against us to date…and the dukes and Bonnies playing better.  A situation I’d rather not see.  Tonight isn’t a must-win, but it’s getting close to that to gain separation and still have a shot at 1st.

57 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

My point is that we were not going to get a good player to be 7th or 8th on the depth chart at guard at the beginning of the year.  Carter wasn't horrible for Valpo I guess but we weren't going to get a player of his caliber either.  Hard to argue with that too....

Why not? We got Jones when Jacobs left. There was a regular role for another productive transfer from the low major level or a freshman following the graduation of Jones.  A combo guard should be one of the easiest positions to find. Having only one ballhandler on this year's roster is not working out very well.

When I came into Billiken fandom my frosh year in 97-98 we had 3 guys who could take point guard minutes: Jamall Walker, Corey Frazier, and John Redden.

The next year it was Walker, Redden, and Dave Fergerson.

The next year it was Fergerson, Redden, and Marque Perry.

It wasn't until after Ferguson and Redden left that we switched to a primary PG and one backup. In 01 it was Perry with Josh Fisher as backup.

It seems the 3rd PG is a role of the past at SLU. Perhaps it only existed at a time when SLU had failed to recruit a star PG but it was mostly effective with the guys that played in that rotation.  With guys like Perry, Mitchell, Jett, Goodwin, Collins, etc. it became unnecessary due to lack of available minutes. I would love to have a combo guard who plays 8 minutes at PG and 8 at SG. Got to have a true backup PG. Guys get injured, sick, fail classes, and all sorts of crappy luck. There isn't really an excuse for having a contingency plan at PG if that happens.