Combo Guard

ACE

4 hours ago, dennis_w said:

the ford hatred trumps any sense of fairness or objectivity on this board, heck many cannot even enjoy a win because it wasnt a blowout win, the billikens are a half a game out of first place . what would make these haters happen? i guess being undefeated, 

This is league is at its lowest point since we’ve been in it. We lost to siuE when we were supposed to be a near lock for the tournament. At the end of nonconference, we basically needed to only lose 1 or 2 games the rest of season to even have a prayer at an at large. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Fordham is already in 4th place. If they win and we lose, they’ll be in 3rd and we’ll be in 4th. VCU, Dayton, Fordham, then us. And we hold the tiebreaker over 5th place St. Bs. I agree with the sentiment that we’re not in as strong of a position as some would lead you believe (because of a backloaded schedule) but we’re not a game away from being out of the double bye.

Yeah I noticed that.  Still probably need to win to add a little security to the top 4  finish.  Things can get messy pretty quick.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year, SLU beat VCU at the Fetz. Opened up a 41-24 halftime lead.  DeAndre Jones led the team in minutes with 38 (by far his most on the season). Collins played 36 minutes and Gibby 35. The point is that all three of these guys played most of the game together.  You have to do that against a team like VCU. Yuri had ballhandling help and Gibby didn't have to worry about it with Jones on the floor. Gibby thrived with 19 points.  This highlights the flaws in how this roster is constructed. Yuri and Gibby are simply asked to do too much because of the shortage of other guards on the roster.

This is exactly why I was bummed we didn't use that last token on a pg of sorts.  Didn't have to be anyone flashy, just someone with experience at bringing up the ball. 

We definitely need to make better use of the portal this off-season and it seeks like Ford acknowledges that now. Even if everyone decided to return, go get someone better Tham Jimerson or Yuri or Parker or whoever. You don't need to use the portal for you're 6th-8th guys on your team. Use it to get the very best players even if it means relegating a guy like Gibby or Yuri to a smaller role than they've had 

But what if Cian Medley is the second coming of Ace Baldwin? What if the power forward from Memphis is the second coming of Conklin?

We may very well have all we need in the pipeline right now. Medley follows the Bills closely. He’s connected.

The kid from Memphis is on the watch list for player of the year from the state of Tennessee.

We may have all that we need right in front of us.

9 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

But what if Cian Medley is the second coming of Ace Baldwin? What if the power forward from Memphis is the second coming of Conklin?

We may very well have all we need in the pipeline right now. Medley follows the Bills closely. He’s connected.

The kid from Memphis is on the watch list for player of the year from the state of Tennessee.

If so then great.  They will still have to beat out the best guys we can bring in as well.  If they do, we should be in good shape.

22 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Not enough with what we are losing.  We need those two to be what you say they might be plus more.  If we don't hit the portal hard then we will have another less than desired season.

willie likes this

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

This is exactly why I was bummed we didn't use that last token on a pg of sorts.  Didn't have to be anyone flashy, just someone with experience at bringing up the ball. 

Yep, I was beating the drum when we had that 13th scholarship - all we got out of it was Rivera. There was a very real need. Wings are not guards IMO.

slufan13 likes this

46 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

I expect Medley to be a nice contributor from day 1, but as a freshman he won't be better than Yuri. I also highly doubt Vice as a freshman will be better than Okoro.  We're going to need to find at least two quality starters in the portal to be decent next year (assuming both Yuri and Gibby are gone).