A10 Tourney Matchups

HoosierPal

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I want to avoid them all together. 

It's pick your poison.  I actually think the 4 Seed is preferable to the 3 Seed, assuming SLU can get by the 4-5 game, which probably means DUQ, and assuming VCU finishes 1st and Dayton 2nd.  Dayton has better basketball players than VCU IMO.  If SLU loses next Tuesday at VCU, it is tough for any team to win 3 games from another.  

A lot of 4-5 games in the A10 Tourney get played, and they are of elimination game intensity, dogfights.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sagarin, through games of Wed., 2/22/23, has the double bye coming down to that Duquesne at Fordham finale on Sat. 3/4/23.  Sagarin has SLU going 1-2, with an 11 point home win over Loyola, a 6 point road loss at VCU, and a scant 1 point home loss to Dayton.  BAB says SLU will go 2-1, winning over Loyola and Dayton.

Sagarin has Duquesne winning by 4 over Davidson, winning by 8 over UMass, but in the grand finale, losing by 1 at historic Rose Hill Gym to Fordham, The Jesuit University of New York;  Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam.

If Sagarin is correct, VCU gets the #1 seed at 15-3, with Dayton #2 at 14-4, and Fordham #3 at 12-6.  SLU would get the 4th Seed and the Double Bye at 11-7, winning the tiebreaker over 11-7 Duquesne by virtue of that huge Billiken home win over DUQ last Saturday night.

The magic number to clinch the double bye is basically 2, any combination of SLU wins and Duquesne losses totaling 2 gets SLU that double bye.  SLU controls its own destiny, clinches the double bye by winning 2 of its last 3, with 2 of them at home, irrespective of what Duquesne does.  This assumes Fordham wins Saturday at home over Rhode Island (Sagarin says Fordham by 9).  Sagarin has Fordham losing by 2 at George Mason, then winning by 1 at home over Duquesne.

cgeldmacher likes this

Per A10 Talk on Twitter, @A10Talk, this scenario this weekend gets SLU the Double Bye:

SLU beats Loyola Chicago;

Duquesne loses (at home) to Davidson;

George Mason loses to Dayton (at Dayton).

Although Davidson winning Sunday at Duquesne is not probable, the above scenario is not outside the realm of possibility. 

The double bye would be nice but I’m not worried about it anymore.

Ive come to the realization that this team can win 4 games in 4 days if they decide to play smart, play hard, play as a team, and play defense. 

If they don’t do these things they’ll lose the first or second game anyway.

Getting their attitudes right is more important than the double bye. 

billiken_roy likes this

39 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Per A10 Talk on Twitter, @A10Talk, this scenario this weekend gets SLU the Double Bye:

SLU beats Loyola Chicago;

Duquesne loses (at home) to Davidson;

George Mason loses to Dayton (at Dayton).

Although Davidson winning Sunday at Duquesne is not probable, the above scenario is not outside the realm of possibility. 

DQ over Dav by 2...Dav has a 46% chance to win

4 hours ago, dlarry said:

The double bye would be nice but I’m not worried about it anymore.

Ive come to the realization that this team can win 4 games in 4 days if they decide to play smart, play hard, play as a team, and play defense. 

If they don’t do these things they’ll lose the first or second game anyway.

Getting their attitudes right is more important than the double bye. 

We observed what we thought was fatigue in the SLU team in the 2nd Half of last year’s semifinal vs. Davidson, with SLU playing its 3rd game in 3 days and Davidson its second in 2. Getting the Double Bye is helpful IMO, especially if you’re trying to come back from behind in a game, and even though SLU won 4 games in 4 days in ‘19. 

The progeny advises Rose Hill Gym has been selling out (which is relative given the reduced capacity under construction of 1,800. But it is a start.) Now the question is whether this renewed fan support will carry over to Barclays Center, which is a stay on same train Subway ride on the D from Fordham. Will the upper deck curtains be pulled back?

7 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

We observed what we thought was fatigue in the SLU team in the 2nd Half of last year’s semifinal vs. Davidson, with SLU playing its 3rd game in 3 days and Davidson its second in 2. Getting the Double Bye is helpful IMO, especially if you’re trying to come back from behind in a game, and even though SLU won 4 games in 4 days in ‘19. 

Keep in mind there’s a day off this year. 

28 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

True. Was the reason for the Friday off day ever revealed? I checked and saw no other event scheduled for Barclays Center that day. 

I thought that was just to accommodate the restructuring of the tournament format.

7 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I thought that was just to accommodate the restructuring of the tournament format.

I saw a similar post, but still don’t understand the need for a day off. The first round (pillow fight) is now 3 games instead of 2, but I don’t see how that affects the following rounds. The reason for the off day remains a mystery to me. It does provide an extra night for NYC hotel room occupancies. 

On 2/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, Bay Area Billiken said:

I’d much rather SLU play DUQ as a rested 4 Seed, as opposed to a 5 seed that had to play the day before. SLU won 4 games in 4 days as the 6 Seed in ‘19. Bit it’s still better to get the Double Bye, especially with this Jeckyl and Hyde team. 

I’d much rather SLU play D, period.

11 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I saw a similar post, but still don’t understand the need for a day off. The first round (pillow fight) is now 3 games instead of 2, but I don’t see how that affects the following rounds. The reason for the off day remains a mystery to me. It does provide an extra night for NYC hotel room occupancies. 

It's for the massive all day "Simon Says" tournament. All of NYC gets to participate this time!

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

No doubt it would probably be advantageous but it won’t matter if they don’t get their collective heads out of their asses.

They have the talent but will they have the want to or do they just want to move on.

6 minutes ago, dlarry said:

No doubt it would probably be advantageous but it won’t matter if they don’t get their collective heads out of their asses.

They have the talent but will they have the want to or do they just want to move on.

We definitely need the Good Billikens to show up. I won’t say it’s the Last Chance Saloon (maybe it is for some of the fans), but it’s definitely the Last Chance. 

dlarry likes this

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

That game was over by halftime last year.