A10 Tourney Matchups

HoosierPal

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haslametrics has SLU finishing 12-6 in the A10, with wins at Richmond and over Loyola, then losing the last 2 regular season games at VCU and a close one at home to Dayton.  That would put SLU into a 3 way tie with Fordham and Duquesne at 12-6, with Fordham winning the tiebreaker to finish 3rd, with SLU 4th and Duquesne 5th.  Haslametrics has Duquesne winning at Fordham in the season finale.

The A10 finish per Haslametrics and via applicable tiebreakers, as I understand them, would be 1-VCU, 2-Dayton, 3-Fordham, 4-SLU, 5-Duquesne, 6-Davidson (going 3-1 in its final 4 games), 7-GW, 8-Mason, 9-St. Joe's, 10-LaSalle, 11-St. Bona, 12-Richmond, 13-UMass, 14-URI, 15-Loyola Chicago.  A 6-way logjam at 8-10 would exist in the 6-11 slots, with the tiebreakers deciding the seedings.

SLU could greatly aid its cause by (1) winning tomorrow night at Richmond, which is going to be a tough road game, (2) holding serve at home vs. Loyola, and (3) winning at either VCU or in the season finale at home vs. Dayton.  Beating Dayton at home should be doable.  

Finishing 4th would likely mean playing #5 Duquesne in the Quarterfinals, but Duquesne would have played 1 game.  Finishing 3rd would bring #6 Davidson in the Quarterfinals.  But that 6 slot is up for grabs.  

I would rather face VCU in the semi-finals, than Dayton, simply because Dayton is better than VCU IMO.

On the other hand, Dayton has won the A10 Tourney only once, 20 years ago in 2003, and has a long history of laying eggs in the A10 Tourney.

23 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

1st tiebreaker is head to head, which would still be a tie. Next is record vs. highest opponent, going down the standings from the top down. 

Didn't double check this, but VCU is 1-1 v Dayton, which we would also be if we win out.  VCU is 1-0 against Fordham, and we ain't.  VCU is 0-1 against Duquesne, which puts us up.  So, maybe, it depends on who finishes 4th.  If the Rams hit 4th, we drop to 2.  If the Dukes are 4th, we are 1.  The likely advantage for 1st is not having to play Dayton in a semifinal.

8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Bills back to a 4th seed after Wednesday's action.  It really doesn't matter 3rd or 4th, if VCU and Dayton stay 1 and 2.  We would have to go through both of them to get the trophy.

4th doesn’t look as favorable as 3rd though as a path to get to Dayton and VCU.

Unfortunately, the idea of VCU and UD being on the same side is all but over. 

By the looks of that, getting a 3 seed is really damn important. I do not want to see a road of .. Dukes- vcu- UD.  

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

SBUnfurled always does a great job with graphics.  Stats say we are OUT OF THE PILLOW FIGHT!!

We absolutely NEED the double bye to have any hope of winning the tournament. This team cannot win 4 games in 4 days, but they can win 3 in 3.

11 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

We absolutely NEED the double bye to have any hope of winning the tournament. This team cannot win 4 games in 4 days, but they can win 3 in 3.

The Bills would have to screw up royally to not get a double bye.  But hey, we are talking about the Billikens. Royal Blue screw ups have happened all to often.

I'd like one win in one day as a starter.  There aren't any teams in the 5 to 9 range that we wouldn't be a shocking upset if they knocked us out of the tourney.   You've watched the Bills play.  Confidence isn't in the game plan.

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The Bills would have to screw up royally to not get a double bye.  But hey, we are talking about the Billikens. Royal Blue screw ups have happened all to often.

I'd like one win in one day as a starter.  There aren't any teams in the 5 to 9 range that we wouldn't be a shocking upset if they knocked us out of the tourney.   You've watched the Bills play.  Confidence isn't in the game plan.

Really just one bad game away from that. We won’t be favored at vcu and probably even Dayton. 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Really just one bad game away from that. We won’t be favored at vcu and probably even Dayton. 

Even if SLU finishes 1-2, for SLU to lose the Double Bye, Duquesne would likely have to win at Fordham in the season finale.  Fordham won the earlier meeting in Pittsburgh 65-58.

Irrespective, the good Billikens finish at least 2-1, hold serve at home vs. Loyola and yes, vs. Dayton.

7 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Even if SLU finishes 1-2, for SLU to lose the Double Bye, Duquesne would likely have to win at Fordham in the season finale.  Fordham won the earlier meeting in Pittsburgh 65-58.

Irrespective, the good Billikens finish at least 2-1, hold serve at home vs. Loyola and yes, vs. Dayton.

And it wouldn't surprise me a bit if duquesne wins that(praying they don't but I bet they do).  Seems there not a a realistic scenario that we avoid the Dukes. 

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

And it wouldn't surprise me a bit if duquesne wins that(praying they don't but I bet they do).  Seems there not a a realistic scenario that we avoid the Dukes. 

I’d much rather SLU play DUQ as a rested 4 Seed, as opposed to a 5 seed that had to play the day before. SLU won 4 games in 4 days as the 6 Seed in ‘19. Bit it’s still better to get the Double Bye, especially with this Jeckyl and Hyde team. 

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I’d much rather SLU play DUQ as a rested 4 Seed, as opposed to a 5 seed that had to play the day before. SLU won 4 games in 4 days as the 6 Seed in ‘19. Bit it’s still better to get the Double Bye, especially with this Jeckyl and Hyde team. 

I want to avoid them all together.