A10 Tourney Matchups

HoosierPal

We are about a month away from the Atlantic 10 tourney.  Most of us believe that the tourney winner will be the sole A10 NCAA entrant.  So watching how the match-ups develop is interesting.  So is finishing in the Top 4 critical?  Of course it is, but this season, with no dominant team in the A10, I won't be surprised if one of the 5-9 seeds wins it all.  Why, first the lack of a dominant team as previously said.  Second, there is a rest break on Friday between the quarterfinals and semifinals, so a 5-9 seed won't play four consecutive days.  As we all know, one player gets hot, and the can carry the team, ala Tremaine Isabell, through the tourney.  Example, Davidson's Kochera just lit up UMass for 29.  Put together two or three games like that, and Davidson is a problem.  Inujries to key players can also upset the balance.  Smith's ankle is still bothering him.  If he doesn't recover, Dayton becomes problematic.  And so on for just about every team. 

Here is where the A10 stands today.  Today, a 2 seed looks better than a 1 seed for me.

https://twitter.com/MLBergman_/status/1622314760472563716?s=20&t=vmamfGDiIrcbizsfedE8ag

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Friday off day negates some of the incentive to reach a top four seed.  There was a huge advantage to playing a team that had played one or two consecutive nights and that doesn't exist now.  Anybody know the rationale?  I know the A10 still wanted that Sunday championship game o  CBS national TV but that was still doable with a Wednesday through Sunday lineup.  There is  nothign I see scheduled in the Barclays for Friday night that creates a conflict.

17 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I think the Friday off day negates some of the incentive to reach a top four seed.  There was a huge advantage to playing a team that had played one or two consecutive nights and that doesn't exist now.  Anybody know the rationale?  I know the A10 still wanted that Sunday championship game o  CBS national TV but that was still doable with a Wednesday through Sunday lineup.  There is  nothign I see scheduled in the Barclays for Friday night that creates a conflict.

probably a genius (self proclaimed) move by brenda.   she is the downfall of the A-10

AGB91 likes this

28 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

I like our chances in that bracket.

depending on which team shows up.  For a while I thought we just sucked, but then I saw how we can be good again before #RamWeek happened. 

6 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

For SLU you really hope that VCU and Dayton find their way on the same side of the bracket.

Dayton is hitting stride and we saw what VCU did to us.  

I hate to mention it, but if we had beaten either Fordham or VCU, we would have pushed them to the other side of the bracket.

Lost chances, oh well…

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Well, this isn’t good. 

Honestly I just want the double bye. We can win it if we keep that. Anything else and I have zero confidence we string 4 wins together.

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I find this interesting.  In the last 7 A10 Men's Basketball Tourneys, there have been 7 different winners.

2015 VCU

2016 Saint Joseph's

2017 Rhode Island

2018 Davidson

2019 Saint Louis

2020 No Tourney

2021 St. Bonaventure

2022 Richmond

The team missing is obvious.

off the top of my head i would have thought dayton went to several tournaments, then i looked it up and was very surprised

TheChosenOne likes this

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

off the top of my head i would have thought dayton went to several tournaments, then i looked it up and was very surprised

Yeah Grant has not taken the Flyers to the NCAA. Of course he has the biggest * out there with his 2019-10 18-2 Flyers who were a likely #1 seed before the tourney got canceled. 

TheChosenOne likes this