Practice Time Today?

davidnark

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe the Coach Soderberg reads the Internet, but he's wary of it and is concerned the rampant availability of information will hurt the program. For him, it's not about Billikens.com, it's about the Internet, period.

I'm sure he couldn't identify be on this board, but he has talked with me in the past and he knows that I post on the Internet. I don't know if he's "upset" about things that have been posted in the past. I'm sure things get back to him.

I kept stats from a scrimmage in practice this afternoon. Brad noticed that I was "writing a lot" and asked me if I were taking notes; I told him what I was doing. He doesn't want the stats on the Internet, because it may be providing a scouting report for other programs.

I think it's very interesting, especially since I was just prepared to ask who were the guys that were unimpressed by Reg's performance today? But I know some of the players do view this board, I'd hope they wouldn't as brutal as most comments are about them, but they do. Maybe even coach himself has visited this board and doesn't want the players to get caught up in what's said here......

As far as how do they know if u belong to the board, trust me they know. I can't put faces with names, but If I asked the players they know who u guys are.....like Tonka, they know who you are.

I will provide some general comments without giving away any strategy.

The team looks quicker, bigger, and more athletic than any team I can remember. All of our newcombers will contribute this year, and most will contribute right away. There wasn't a single scholarship player who played today who didn't demonstrate some way in which he could contribute in a game. I don't think this is a secret, but IMO the biggest question for this team is who will be our backup point guard. Danny Brown, Luke Meyer, and Newborne all have good, athletic basketball bodies. Izik can still light it up in a scrimmage.

davidnark said, "I don't think this is a secret, but IMO the biggest question for this team is who will be our backup point guard."

david, i think dwayne polk will do just fine. i dont see how he can be questioned. ;-)

When I went to the practice on campus the Sat aft the midnite opening, the assistants were walking around the stands asking us to sign our names on clipboards.

I'm sorry, but I think coach is a little over the top on this, IMHO. Opposing teams will be able to look at tapes of previous games down the road. What the statistics are in late October will not impact our success later in the year. I don't think we are tailoring our practices to beat UMSL. Sorry.

mhg

I've never made it a secret that I post. When I attend practices and pickup games and when I see the players other occasions, I talk to them; I've never tried to hide that I post. If I were trying to spy on the program, I would have never told Brad that I post.

I'm just an enthusiastic fan who loves the Billikens.

Marlo, I know you talk to Reggie and some of the other players. Have you talked to Reg since today's scrimmage? I'm curious why you want to know "who was unimpressed by Reggie's performance"? I can only guess that Reggie talked to you and wasn't particularly happy with his own performance. That happens, sometimes, but I don't think Reggie will be the only weapon this year (that's a general comment -- not something based on watching today), so he can get away with not having a stellar game every time out. Personally, I don't think Reggie had anything to be ashamed of today.

As far as players' reading the board and taking these comments to heart, I would recommend against that, personally. This is a fan's forum. No sports program would exist (as we know them today) without the fans. When here, we let our hair down and act like fans. I spoke to Ian Vouyoukas after practice to give him feedback, and I was honest, but I'm sure it's still different for him to hear it from me than to read us tossing it around.

Lastly, I guess I can see how the Internet poses a danger to the program, but the enthusiasm of the fans, particularly those who care enough to read or post here, can also help the program.

Let me reiterate: I love the Billikens and want them to go far (I'm not the enemy).

While I agree with what you've said, I think the bottom line is that we're blessed to have Coach Soderberg here (and I expect him to have a fantastic tenure), so we'll have to just grin and bear with what we may feel is an idosyncracy. I do know that I don't want the public to be closed out of pratice, so if that means you have to be there to know what happened, so be it.

>Where did anybody say that they were unimpressed with

>Reggie's performance today? What am I missing?

Obviously, no one said anything like that. I suspect Reggie talked to his sister and expressed some disappointment or ambivalence about his play, and big sister wanted to pump us for more info.

Bryant did not pop off for 50, but he did fine, in my opinion. If, indeed, he felt disappointed in his own play, I'm encouraged by his high expectations.

I think that the assumption was that DP would start at point and the question is--who will be the back up to Polk? I would think that Drejaj and Polk will play most of the minutes at point with a few minutes for Clarke, if necessary.

I love Drejaj and his tenacity but it is my belief--I may be shown wrong--that if we, as a team, want to achieve the highest level of performance this year, Polk will need to play major minutes at the point without huge numbers of turnovers and he must play well enough on the defensive end not to be a liability. His speed and agressive offensive attitude will make us a much better team if he can accomplish those goals.

...and the beachcombers will help us next year. I only saw the last half hour of the scrimmage. Brown didn't play, but did great on the 3pt drill. Brad had everyone shoot 30 3's to make a point. He said if you get a wide open 3 in a game, but your not a good 3 pt shooter, then it's not a percentage shot. It would be safe to say that Frericks hit a higher % of his 3s than his ft% last year. Bryce hit a bunch also. I think Brown had the best %. DC did not play or participate in the 3pt drill. AD did play, along with Tom, and both looked OK.

I probably have been as critical as anyone who has made the practices, and if Brad is worried about Huggie Bear using my observations to gain a win, their coaching staff is hurting...

The weaknesses (and strengths) are there for everyone to see, and in the CUSA and A10, both will be known far and wide before the conference games ever start. Most all posts I have read have been wisely edited to limit negative comments from the coaching staff - there are things said in practice as wakeup calls, motivation, and very vociferous ass ridings that are all part of varsity sports.

In similar fashion, offensive sets and strategies are not extensively detailed in posts. Any staff worth its salt can tell skills, tendancies, and sets before the first quarter is done. Coaches and their offensive/defensive thinking and coaching rarely change from year to year.

Criticism is a given in life. I sat next to an NBA scout at a scrimmage in Peoria watching Shaun Livingston two years ago, and he asked me to come up with a list of faults. I hit the wall at 22, while he had 45 down on paper in the same amount of time - and Shaun was what, the ninth player taken this draft?

Always try to take posts in the context that we are crazy fans of the Bills. Stuff that we write, if said directly to a player in practice, would be a speck of dust in a dog's eye, but here on an internet forum it is like a giant sword. Unlike some other teams' fans, we are usually pleased wheen the team walks off the court, having left all on the court while they could.

Roy, based on Thicks remarks above, I am cautious about providing detail reorts; however, IMO it is more likely that Mel Brooks becomes pope than Drejaj starts ahead of Polk at point (and that isn't really a criticsm of Anthony).

first thing, i love coach soderberg. cant say enough good about him. and i hope he is the head coach for the billikens a long long time. however, it makes me nuts to hear him berate the internet. this board generates enthusiasm and fan support. imo, he and the rest of the athletic department should be "using" this tool to their advantage. even if our board has rumors and misquotes, still the good outweighs the bad.

imo, we even had a hand in the summer tommie liddell saga. we posted it here first that the internet was claiming tommie was switching to unlv, and i believe the coaching staff was then notified of what was being said on the internet. reading between the lines, before unlv had a chance to really sink their dirty claws into tommie, thanks to the word of the internet, our coaches were able to react and get to tommie and his family and talk some sense in him.

but everything saint louis university does has to be done with cia like efficiency. i will never understand that. imo the more slu is being talked about everywhere the better. they want to sell tickets and raise money, it aint gonna happen playing under a glass shield.

Considering the Post Dispatch rarely has a non game day article and we now hear virtually nothing on the recruiting front if it wasn't for this board how would we ever hear about the Billikens? Cut-off any meaningful reports from practice or turn this into a board where nothing negative can be said because players and family read and you'll have no conversation.

I've been noticed! I hope they know who I am, but I hope they know who most of the people on this board are! We are their fans - their true fans and I sure hope they appreciate that! I would if I were them. I post way less than many many on this board. I hope everyone gets noticed because so many on this board deserve that!

Brehms, you say it like it's negative that they know who I am? Keep in mind this is a sports forum. We give our opinions, we give our suggestions, we give our criticisms, and we give our undying support. We are the ones that are season ticket holders year after year after year. We are the ones that give money to the program. We are the ones that want nothing more than to see our Billikens succeed. We are the ones that cheer and scream our heads off night after night only to lose our voice. We are the ones that rearrange our schedules and rush home from work to make a game on time. We are the ones who scramble to find someplace with Charter so we can watch an out of town game.

Brad may not like the internet, but appreciates the fans, he's made that very clear.

If you feel or a player has felt that I am too harsh at times, I think they are selectively reading. Most on this board know that I am about as passionate as it comes and will express things when my emotions are both high and low. That's what this message board is about. Most on this board know I always say things in jest to keep things light around here. I don't remember saying anything hurtful or harmful about any player that was said in a serious, hurtful fashion. Many on this board do though, but I'm glad the players don't know who they are. I hope they recognize all the usernames on this board and will seek us out at a banquet and thank us for our support! We appreciate them, I hoep they appreciate us!