SLU Women's Soccer Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-thank you

-are more transfers on the way for next season?

Not at this time but that is always subject to change. For now, SLU has 2 incoming transfers and 10 Freshmen in the 2024 class for next season. 

The portal is a little bit like the Wild West. There’s a little bit of everything. Some players put their name in the portal and then remove their name. Those players either decide to stay or they don’t like what they see in the portal. Some players transfer after Spring semester. Some players already know where they are going before entering the portal. Some players visit multiple schools and then decide.

I know one St. Louis Power 5 Conference player that is transferring to a different Power 5 league. It’s been done a while, but she hasn’t announced it yet. 

There are a few players still deciding. 

I mentioned above that Ella Rogers was on the move from Xavier due to their coaching change. She chose Arkansas over SLU, Kansas, and Xavier. She has two starting teammates on the move as well. Their destinations have been decided, but they haven’t announced it yet.

So, there’s a little bit of everything with the portal. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you get a chance to listen,  Katie Shields has an extended interview on the Soccer Mom Sunday podcast which is really great.   She is the absolute best.    For those who despise the athletic department leadership, maybe don't listen.   She expresses her high loyalty to SLU, pointing out her maternity leave that was granted and even encouraged twice in the past five years.  

15 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

If you get a chance to listen,  Katie Shields has an extended interview on the Soccer Mom Sunday podcast which is really great.   She is the absolute best.    For those who despise the athletic department leadership, maybe don't listen.   She expresses her high loyalty to SLU, pointing out her maternity leave that was granted and even encouraged twice in the past five years.  

Tell her yourself. Two more days left in Florida ,today and tomorrow at Lakewood Ranch/Sarasota. (230 teams. 426 universities) Otherwise, there’s another event in March in Bradenton. 

Some people who asked have their schedules of SLU commits and targets to see this week. Let me know if anyone still needs one. 

42 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

For those who despise the athletic department leadership, maybe don't listen. 

Why the hostility? Lol I've seen firsthand that a lot of the upper echelon don't care, but I'll support the coach that's brought us six tournament championships in a row.

5 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Why the hostility? Lol I've seen firsthand that a lot of the upper echelon don't care, but I'll support the coach that's brought us six tournament championships in a row.

Sorry, no hostility at all.   

I just have read a lot the past couple of months that the athl dept is staffed with not just incompetent administrators but  also seemingly a**holes.   I have absolutely no clue if thats accurate as I live about 900 miles away.   It was just nice to hear a clearly exceptional individual say they were treated well and happy at SLU.

I will take any positive vibes I can get right now.  

54 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Yeah you know the basic thing that all women can get through employers? We've really lowered the bar. Nobody should take anything more away from any coaches public facing quotes than putting themselves and their program first. Katie knows who signs her checks, who controls the program budget. I don't blame her and I'd probably be doing the same thing.

I have multiple hand fulls of ridiculous Chris May stories from ex-employees/ex-student athletes/ex-coaches. I'll stand by my statement. With any and all due respect to Katie Shields.

Soderball likes this

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah you know the basic thing that all women can get through employers? We've really lowered the bar. Nobody should take anything more away from any coaches public facing quotes than putting themselves and their program first. Katie knows who signs her checks, who controls the program budget. I don't blame her and I'd probably be doing the same thing.

I have multiple hand fulls of ridiculous Chris May stories from ex-employees/ex-student athletes/ex-coaches. I'll stand by my statement. With any and all due respect to Katie Shields.

I will defer to your knowledge of the inner workings of the AD.   KS does point out in the interview that it was unusual in the industry for a school to be as supportive as SLU was.  

Again, I'm just looking for any rays of sunshine in a otherwise gloomy day.  

4 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

I will defer to your knowledge of the inner workings of the AD.   KS does point out in the interview that it was unusual in the industry for a school to be as supportive as SLU was.  

Again, I'm just looking for any rays of sunshine in a otherwise gloomy day.  

That Women's Soccer staff and Men's Soccer staff are the rays of sunshine. Celebrate them.

I agree with OkieBilliken.  It is a really pleasant data point and nice to hear.  One data point and one example of course is not the end all and be all of everything, but it is very pleasant to see.  It makes me feel better about Chris May.

If it matters, I am a goofball that has not liked Chris May since Situation 1.  I felt like those kids were railroaded and the AD did not properly ensure they were shepherded through the internal school processes.  I never forgave that and was frustrated that it was dismissed as not the AD's job and other details.  I felt an AD should be proactive and take difficult circumstances like that head on.  And yes...I understand that those things are not on the official list of AD duties.  I always admired Levick for quitting over the way that Brad was let go.  Another bad circumstance and regardless of how great it was getting RickMa, I see and appreciate her ability to take decisive action when her authority is undercut in the manner that it was.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

That Women's Soccer staff and Men's Soccer staff are the rays of sunshine. Celebrate them.

Amen to that.....and baseball season starts in 39 days.    Port Charlotte is beautiful this time of year.   

4 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I agree with OkieBilliken.  It is a really pleasant data point and nice to hear.  One data point and one example of course is not the end all and be all of everything, but it is very pleasant to see.  It makes me feel better about Chris May.

If it matters, I am a goofball that has not liked Chris May since Situation 1.  I felt like those kids were railroaded and the AD did not properly ensure they were shepherded through the internal school processes.  I never forgave that and was frustrated that it was dismissed as not the AD's job and other details.  I felt an AD should be proactive and take difficult circumstances like that head on.  And yes...I understand that those things are not on the official list of AD duties.  I always admired Levick for quitting over the way that Brad was let go.  Another bad circumstance and regardless of how great it was getting RickMa, I see and appreciate her ability to take decisive action when her authority is undercut in the manner that it was.

SLU has done things right. They are doing things right with SLU women's soccer. Ensuring the Chris Allen is compensated well enough as an assistant to not yet make the jump to a HC job. Keeping Katie Shields happy and content at SLU is huge. I wish SLU Men's and Women's soccer could finance themselves, but if SLU Basketball does not turn around, we won't have the budget to keep them happy long term. This year is the last payout from 2019 MBB NCAA. 

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This year is the last payout from 2019 MBB NCAA. 

That is scary.  It is a bad time for those payouts to stop as other revenue streams seem to also be going down.  I did not realize or think about that.....woooof.

Side note....sorry I just realized this is a Soccer Thread.  I did not mean to deviate so far from that topic.  My apologies.

2 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

-thanks for this, you listened to the podcast, provided your thoughts and relay something CKatie said that you found noteworthy and it sure appears like you got jumped -- crazy

-keep the faith

9 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-thanks for this, you listened to the podcast, provided your thoughts and relay something CKatie said that you found noteworthy and it sure appears like you got jumped -- crazy

-keep the faith

Oh my god get real man. 

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah you know the basic thing that all women can get through employers?

I'm almost positive this is NOT the case in the US (and Missouri).  Employers aren't required to offer paid maternity leave.  The only requirement is Family Medical Leave (FMLA) which is limited to 12 weeks and unpaid.

No idea what is typical for colleges.  If SLU went above & beyond that in Shields case, good on them.  It doesn't necessarily mean the AD isn't a dumpster fire in other respects.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm almost positive this is NOT the case in the US (and Missouri).  Employers aren't required to offer paid maternity leave.  The only requirement is Family Medical Leave (FMLA) which is limited to 12 weeks and unpaid.

No idea what is typical for colleges.  If SLU went above & beyond that in Shields case, good on them.  It doesn't necessarily mean the AD isn't a dumpster fire in other respects.

Interesting, thank you for the information. Willing to admit I’m wrong. I guess I’m not up to give extra credit for operating the AD by the mission of the university. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Interesting, thank you for the information. Willing to admit I’m wrong. I guess I’m not up to give extra credit for operating the AD by the mission of the university. 

Companies are all over the place on this.  We really need a federal standard.  I have seen some giving 12 weeks with pay and others 2 weeks.  Some provide for fathers to have time off and others don't.  It seems crazy that we leave it up to each company without providing at least some minimum standards.

Ahead of tonight’s deadline, there are 210 players registered for this week’s NWSL draft. 

Notables: 

SLU opponents: 

Asman (Penn State) Augur (Georgetown), Bagley (VCU), Donley (Dayton), (Penn State), Folino (BYU), Kaufusi (Utah State), Leas (Georgetown), Linnehan (Penn State), McCarthy (BYU), Mozingo (BYU), Riley (Georgetown), Seelenfreund (Brown), Shepherd (BYU), Smith-Griffits (BYU), Terrell (Creighton) Vaka (BYU), Wade-Katoa (BYU), Webber (Indiana), Wiesner (Penn State).

13 other former opponents registered for the draft from Arkansas, Notre Dame, Memphis, Rutgers, and a few others schools. 

Sam Cary (Iowa) is registered. (from St. Louis)

Eleanor Dale (Nebraska) is deciding between Manchester United, West Ham, Aston Villa.

Brittany Raphino (Brown) is deciding among teams in five countries.

5 of 6 All ACC defensive players from Clemson. (Morrison, White, Mackiewicz, Hershfelt, Conti) The 6th Freshman Davis will return to Clemson. 

Jennifer, Onyi, “Joe” Echegini won the Mac Hermann Trophy this past weekend. The Florida State winger/forward signed the day before to play professionally with Juventus. 

Amsterdam>London>Starkville>Tallahassee>Turin

SLU will be playing in the 3rd annual Spring Cup. (Michigan State and Xavier are past champions) SLU committed prior to the holidays. But now all of the teams and groups are set. 

Spring Cup has been a 6 team round robin tournament the past two Springs.

The event has expanded to 12 teams this year and 4 groups. 

Group 1:

Cincinnati, Dayton, Ohio.

Group 2: 

Kentucky, Louisville, Xavier.

Group 3

Iowa, Saint Louis, Missouri.

Group 4

Michigan State, Northwestern, Notre Dame. 

………………..

Past school participants have included: Ball State, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Dayton, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Ohio, Xavier.

………………..

Different Women’s and Men’s teams have been playing mini tourneys in Spring Ball to make things a little more interesting and fun.Spring games sometimes get canceled as well, so it’s good to be locked into an event. (Last Spring SLU was supposed to play Wisconsin and Mizzou for example)

………………..

Last year’s event went from later March through later April. It was moved back from the earlier Spring start the year prior which began in late February. 

………………

On 1/8/2024 at 2:42 PM, courtside said:

Ahead of tonight’s deadline, there are 210 players registered for this week’s NWSL draft. 

Notables: 

SLU opponents: 

Asman (Penn State) Augur (Georgetown), Bagley (VCU), Donley (Dayton), (Penn State), Folino (BYU), Kaufusi (Utah State), Leas (Georgetown), Linnehan (Penn State), McCarthy (BYU), Mozingo (BYU), Riley (Georgetown), Seelenfreund (Brown), Shepherd (BYU), Smith-Griffits (BYU), Terrell (Creighton) Vaka (BYU), Wade-Katoa (BYU), Webber (Indiana), Wiesner (Penn State).

13 other former opponents registered for the draft from Arkansas, Notre Dame, Memphis, Rutgers, and a few others schools. 

Sam Cary (Iowa) is registered. (from St. Louis)

Eleanor Dale (Nebraska) is deciding between Manchester United, West Ham, Aston Villa.

Brittany Raphino (Brown) is deciding among teams in five countries.

5 of 6 All ACC defensive players from Clemson. (Morrison, White, Mackiewicz, Hershfelt, Conti) The 6th Freshman Davis will return to Clemson. 

Jennifer, Onyi, “Joe” Echegini won the Mac Hermann Trophy this past weekend. The Florida State winger/forward signed the day before to play professionally with Juventus. 

Amsterdam>London>Starkville>Tallahassee>Turin

Final totals:

236 draft registered players. 56 picks. 50 were Power 5. 16 players were SLU opponents the past two seasons. Only 1 school had more draft picks than BYU and Penn State, who both had 5. (UNC 6) 4 of the 5 Clemson defenders were drafted.

Memphis’ Mya Jones was the only International draftee. With only 5 International slots available per team, many teams prefer to not take them via the draft. 

Familiar foes drafted:

BYU (Mozingo, Smith-Griffits, Wade-Katoa, Shepherd, Vaka)

Penn State (Wiesner, Linnehan, , Asman, Wheeler)

Utah State (Kaufusi)

Arkansas (Podijil, Franklin)

Notre Dame (Van Zanten, Mercado)

Memphis (Jones) 

2 more former SLU opponents: Notre Dame’s Eva Gaetino will sign with PSG and join former teammate Korbin Alberts. 

3 underclassmen teens left school early and were drafted. 

Local/regional: Sam Cary (Stl/Iowa) amd Felicia Knox (KC/Alabama) were also drafted.

How difficult is it to get drafted? Some notable players not drafted:

Emily Moxley UNC, Julia Leas Georgetown, Ayanna Gourley GCU, Sam Kroeger Rutgers, Jaida Thomas Tennessee, Bella Folino BYU, Skinner VaTech, Augur, Georgetown, Antoine Vandy, Hudson, ND, Spray Memphis, Stordy Memphis, Donley Dayton, Brian TCU, Boren BYU, McCarthy BYU, Nemec Minnesota, Cook UCLA, Lynch ND, White Clemson, and many more.

Drafted players still have to earn their spots and non-drafted players can still make rosters through camp invites, and sign with NWSL teams. And there are two additional expansion teams next season. They can also sign Internationally, or with the new USL league 

Non Power 5 leagues with a player drafted: Big East, Ivy, Mountain West, WCC with a total of 6 players combined)

11 hours ago, courtside said:

Congratulations to SLU Associate Head Coach Chris Allen for being named the next Head Coach at Marquette University.

Well deserved and well earned opportunity for Chris. He was a huge factor in the recent success of SLU’s program for 8 seasons. 

https://gomarquette.com/news/2024/1/18/chris-allen-named-marquette-head-womens-soccer-coach

Congratulations to him.   Wish it wasn't Marquette.   How big a blow do you feel like this is for our program?  CKS appeared to refer to him almost like a co-head coach.   It was also comforting that he was in house if one of the SEC or Big 10 whales wanted to open the bank for our head coach.   

2 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

Congratulations to him.   Wish it wasn't Marquette.   How big a blow do you feel like this is for our program?  CKS appeared to refer to him almost like a co-head coach.   It was also comforting that he was in house if one of the SEC or Big 10 whales wanted to open the bank for our head coach.   

This is the type of thing that happens to successful programs, associate and assistant coaches get considered for and hired for head coaching opportunities. Huge loss for us, but we need to move on. I’m curious to see what happens to the staff, both of the remaining assistants are only 1 year into their current jobs. I would expect a more experienced assistant to be brought on, but I will trust Katie Shield’s judgement without question.

OkieBilliken likes this