Billiken Live Sports Update

13 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Billiken alum Vedad Ibisevic scores a goal in Hertha Berlin's 3-0 victory over Hoffenheim.      Thats all I got.  Cant watch any more Korean baseball.  

Bundesliga is one of the most entertaining soccer leagues in the world. Worth checking out for anyone who is starving for sports.

Zink and Bizziken like this

1 hour ago, OkieBilliken said:

Billiken alum Vedad Ibisevic scores a goal in Hertha Berlin's 3-0 victory over Hoffenheim.      Thats all I got.  Cant watch any more Korean baseball.  

I was a student at SLU when Vedad was a Billiken. Was a lot of fun to watch.

11 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

He looks OLD which makes me feel OLD!

image.jpeg.f06a0d5e16e716ad45ad45521f78e445.jpeg

Not as old as I look...and we were at SLU at the same time (not sure if that makes you feel any better or worse, but it DID motivate me to go to the gym today. Lol)

13 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Its sad whats happened to the program that I think Vedad and Tim Ream (Fulham) are the only active professionals left playing in a major league from SLU

I mean it’s kinda like that for all of college soccer. The best U18 players just sign Pro deals 99% of the time these days. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

Just now, gobillsgo said:

I mean it’s kinda like that for all of college soccer. The best U18 players just sign Pro deals 99% of the time these days. 

I also heard a lot of professional leagues are actively discouraging kids from playing college soccer because the college schedule is so F’ed up that it leads to a lot of injuries and bad habits, etc. I love soccer but don’t follow as closely as I probably should. Can anybody with more knowledge confirm or deny this? I do know a lot of college coaches have been lobbying for schedule changes.

3 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Bundesliga is one of the most entertaining soccer leagues in the world. Worth checking out for anyone who is starving for sports.

I’m good on the zero defense

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I also heard a lot of professional leagues are actively discouraging kids from playing college soccer because the college schedule is so F’ed up that it leads to a lot of injuries and bad habits, etc. I love soccer but don’t follow as closely as I probably should. Can anybody with more knowledge confirm or deny this? I do know a lot of college coaches have been lobbying for schedule changes.

But the far bigger and more pressing question hanging over men’s college soccer right now must be decided by a more powerful panel: The NCAA Division I Council, which was all set to vote this week on the “21st Century Model” proposal to extend the men’s D-I season to a two-semester (fall-spring) schedule, with potentially dramatic benefits for both the college game and American soccer as a whole.

Thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, that vote has been tabled indefinitely. And as understandable as that is given the wider situation, it’s yet another delay in a reform effort that’s run some seven years – and literally can’t happen soon enough, given the aforementioned wider situation.

Reinert310 likes this

53 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

But the far bigger and more pressing question hanging over men’s college soccer right now must be decided by a more powerful panel: The NCAA Division I Council, which was all set to vote this week on the “21st Century Model” proposal to extend the men’s D-I season to a two-semester (fall-spring) schedule, with potentially dramatic benefits for both the college game and American soccer as a whole.

Thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, that vote has been tabled indefinitely. And as understandable as that is given the wider situation, it’s yet another delay in a reform effort that’s run some seven years – and literally can’t happen soon enough, given the aforementioned wider situation.

Thanks for the info! 

• 2 weeks later...