A10 Early Entries & Transfer (Consolidated Listing)

Taj79

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Of course coaches are against it. It's more work. It makes an already busy, high pressure job even busier.

Exactly. As they should be. I could see some programs spending little time recruiting high school kids and putting most of their effort recruiting current college players.

53 minutes ago, NH said:

The only thing I’d push back with slightly is that basically every coach has come out against it, including big coaches like Saban and Izzo. The proposed rule gives coaches less control over the players, and coaches don’t tend to like uncertainty.

But the Big 10 and ACC conferences have been leading the charge in favor of it.

I would think most fans would be against the no penalty transfer rule also.

I know I have invested my time, loyalty and dollars into the SLU basketball program.  Let's assume the rule was in place last year and three of the really big blue bloods came after JG, HF and JP, all of whom I believe could have an impact at the Dukes, Kentuckys, & Kansas' for example.  Programs like that could promise a realistic shot at a Final Four.  In the meantime Coach Ford is then having to recruit off the Transfer Portal for unhappy P6 players from Mississippi, Wake Forest, Xavier and even some lower level school players.  (I would love to have the FR from SIU-C that we couldn't guard last year)

Is that what I want to spend my season ticket money on?  He!! NO. 

Look at the excitement we all have with our 3 seniors all returning.  Would that same, or even close, level of passion for Team Blue exist if we replace Goodwin, French and Jimerson with Tom, Dick and Harry ?  I don't want to see our coaches spend a year or two developing a player only to lose the fruits of their labor when, say a Jimmy Bell leaves.

My point is, this is as much a fan issue as it is a coach issue.  If players are unhappy with their playing time-e.g. Hankton and Diarra- fine .  Find a program/school more in line with your abilities and take the free extra year if college.  If a HC leaves for another school or is fired, fine let  a player leave, but not just anytime and for any reason.

Bishop had a SLU offer before picking LSU.

That's actually a really nice starting five. I don't think they're as deep as the top-half A10 squads but they could be a spoiler this year and contender after that.

GeeDubya gets better if PF Ricky Lindo, transfer from Maryland, gets a waiver.  Both he and Bishop only averaged about 3 pg last year at UMd and LSU respectively so they'll need to do more.  Moyer only averaged 2 ppg/rpg at Vandy last year so more room for improvement.  Both Bishop and Moyer are former four-star recruits.  Jack is a distance gunner as is Battle.  Potter was their PGand he isgone leaving the PG to Nelson, who struck me as more a 2G than anything else.  They can surprise however with the talent upgrade.  You can't take anyone lightly.

CBFan and Pistol like this

Well, you could be negative and say the waiver process is a crock or be positive and say the A10 appears to be playing by all the rules everyone else is.  Whatever.

So let's change the listing ......who's still getting screwed/awaiting a waiver decision out there that we know of?

Davidson/Duquesne/Fordham/Mason/La Salle/Umass/Richmond/Saint Louis/:  none.

Dayton:  Elijah Weaver

George Washington: Ricky Lindo

Rhode Island: Allen Betrand

St. Joes:  Dahmir Bishop, Jack Forrest

Bonaventure: Anthony Roberts

VCU: Brendan Medley-Bacon

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29951459/georgia-disputes-ex-safety-otis-reese-claim-racial-insensitivity

I make no judgement here but this is an interesting read on an NCAA waiver case being made on the football side of the house.  It also shows a perspective from a conference point of view, namely the SEC.  Interesting that Mississippi is more racially-sensitive than Georgia.  

From an NCAA perspective and the current modus operandi, I'd give the kid a waiver ..... he says he doesn't feel safe,he's notsafe.

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketball-transfer-waiver-tracker-for-2020-21-10-02-2020/

Interesting list put together by Jeff Goodman on approved transfers, pending transfers, and the 7 denied transfer waivers. 

Note that he has 'run off' by a lot of names.  Here is Goodman's note: I have also noted run-off waivers where we know it to be the case.  Of interest is that he has Sean East-heading to Bradley- as being run off by UMass.

The A-10 has 7 listed as approved and 2 listed as pending.  Other transfers elected to not process a waiver, and will red-shirt.  The biggest name in that category is Medley-Bacon from VCU, according to RamNation.  Neither Hankton nor Diarra are on this list, so I assume they did not file a waiver.

Pistol likes this

On 10/3/2020 at 5:04 PM, HoosierPal said:

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketball-transfer-waiver-tracker-for-2020-21-10-02-2020/

Interesting list put together by Jeff Goodman on approved transfers, pending transfers, and the 7 denied transfer waivers. 

Note that he has 'run off' by a lot of names.  Here is Goodman's note: I have also noted run-off waivers where we know it to be the case.  Of interest is that he has Sean East-heading to Bradley- as being run off by UMass.

The A-10 has 7 listed as approved and 2 listed as pending.  Other transfers elected to not process a waiver, and will red-shirt.  The biggest name in that category is Medley-Bacon from VCU, according to RamNation.  Neither Hankton nor Diarra are on this list, so I assume they did not file a waiver.

Very interesting (assuming this is right) that neither Hankton nor Diarra filed for a waiver with waivers being handed out like candy on Halloween.  I'm guessing Gooman would have Diarra for sure in the "run off" category and possibly Hankton as well.  My read on the situation if they didn't request waivers is that neither is 100% injury-wise and both are taking the year to get healthy / back to 100% physically much like Okoro is doing at SLU.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30042106/nike-sibande-case-shines-light-ncaa-broken-transfer-waiver-system

Interesting read on the waiver system, especially given HP's post on Goodman's list.  As much as I personally don't care for Jay Bilas, props to his investigative reporting and research.  He won't make any friends at Miami of Ohio.

I have to believe the kid here.  He wanted out to be near his baby daughter in Pittsburgh.  Makes sense.  I don't buy the COVID concerns at one school versus another, I mean a pandemic is a pandemic and I don't know enough to say Miami is worse off than Pitt in the battle to counter it.

I'll agree on the major premise which is that the system is archaic and broken. 

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but this Jeff Goodman 45 min podcast with Chris Mooney has a lot of interesting comments.  Mooney talks about the challenges he is having scheduling, how he is looking forward to playing at Kentucky with maybe the oldest starting five in American, how his game at Cincy may fall through due to the AAC, how Grant, Francis and Sherod all were heavily recruited to leave Richmond as Grad Transfers, how he can't figure out the waiver process, and what the likely new transfer rule will do to mid-major basketball. 

Goodman is convinced that winter sports athletes will all get an extra year.  He asked Mooney how do you go about signing five new guys and then have your five return.  Mooney says not all five of his starters would return...interesting.  By and large, the guys you want to stay will leave and the guys you want to leave will stay.  Do you newly signed send guys to prep school?  Schools have to have the money to expand their roster. A lot of schools won't be able to handle expanded rosters.

Goodman asked Mooney how it was being on the hot seat last few seasons, with a fire Chris Mooney website.  Mooney said, 'My Dad said he had nothing to do with the website.'

Mooney said Tyler Burton has made a big jump and could be one of the best players in Richmond history. He would be the best player on many of Richmond's past teams as a soph, but he will be 6th man on this team.

Talked about Covid testing, and how this today differs from state to state.  Mooney expects this to be put in black and white, with little variation through the teams through the new rapid test.  With this new test, 'can you test out of quarantine'?  If all you have is close contact trace with a positive, can you test out with negative tests.  

It only makes sense given this COVID-turvy world.

I think it bodes well for the passage of the new rule of one-transfer-no-penalty-year on the docket at the NCAA.  That would then seem to make the Grad Transfer rule obsolete.

Frampton popped smoke and left Davidson five games in last year.  Never heard any specific reason.  Is he therefore a Junior at Western having eaten up his sophomore year in those five games?