GDT vs Central Arkansas Sugar Bears

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Look, I understand we didn’t blow them out but there was a lot to love offensively and a lot of weird stuff that happened in that game. That was one of our best shooting nights across the lineup. 

Entertaining game for sure.  We looked solid today.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Look, I understand we didn’t blow them out but there was a lot to love offensively and a lot of weird stuff that happened in that game. That was one of our best shooting nights across the lineup. 

Really, I'll take 43.8 from 3 all the way to the dance, layups still kind of suck though 

Travis frustrated by our lack of offensive efficiency. We have no rhythym to the offense, shooting to soon too often. Upset about 14 offensive boards but only 8 pts. from it. Like us, he doesn't understand why we miss so many layups. Says we aren't strong with the ball, team is a little bit selfish, individual players are too focused on how many points they score.

Can't figure out why we commit so many charges. He's frustrated with our lack of basketball IQ. Poor decison making, not making the right play.

Happy with Thatch's defense. Was the only one who had a chance to guard their point guard. They're trying to get Travis to be positive about something but he's not buying into it. Very frustrated with this team, only thing he's happy with is Thatch's defense. Got to get the ball to CG, and he has to take it to the rack.

3 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Travis frustrated by our lack of offensive efficiency. We have no rhythym to the offense, shooting to soon too often. Upset about 14 offensive boards but only 8 pts. from it. Like us, he doesn't understand why we miss so many layups. Says we aren't strong with the ball, team is a little bit selfish, individual players are too focused on how many points they score.

We don’t have an offense. I love this team, but it doesn’t have an offense. 

Hey guys, it seemed to me that when we struggled in today's game, we relied a lot 1-on-1 (1-on-2 or 3) inside. But every time we really worked through the offense, we got a high percentage shot more often than not. I really don't think that it's selfishness on the part of the players, in fact quite the opposite. I think the guys see us going through a slump and are trying so hard to pick the team up on their shoulders. It's human nature. But when we worked the ball inside-out, I thought we looked great. Open looks from deep and more room to work inside. Love to know everyone's thoughts. 

24 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

A little happy with CG's progress. Says he wants him to be physical but cut down on the fouling.

I’m really pleased with Gordon.

he is a straight stat stuffer. I think when it’s all said and done we will remember him as an all time Bill.

Just came back home from the game. At the start the game had a very low attendance. The students were, of course, out for Thanksgiving and the band was pretty sparse, only one tuba present. As the game progressed the place filled slowly and by the end of the game we may have been at around 50% capacity. The game was not great and Ford has reasons to be upset. However, I think I will emphasize what I saw as good points and leave the bitching aside:

1. We won the game, a win is a win, by 12 pts which is not terrible. 

2. I do not have the stats readily available but we out rebounded and out assisted them by a fair margin. 

3. French,  God bless his heart, shot primarily FTs during the initial pre game practice. His FT shooting was improved compared to prior games, maybe around 40 to 50%. This is good.

4. Ford took French out for the  last 3 minutes or so  of the game, good move.

5. There were very questionable calls by the refs but nowhere as bad as in the Seton Hall game.

6. Central Ark had one of those squirrelly, very agile and very fast guards. At least Thatch was able to guard him, no one else was.

7. We had a number of players in the  double scoring figures and I assume some of these will be double doubles.

To summarize, it was a win with blemishes but a win, and there were areas showing improvement as listed above.

Now, onto  Butler.

Just finished watching on DVR. From the last two games the guys that are giving us fits are the PG's on the dribble drive. The kid from Pitt beat us almost single handedly and 55 from CArk did almost the same. Yet we shut down Powell from SH. Go figure. 

Driving home from out of town today so I could only listen on the radio, but it sounded like maybe our best overall game yet. Need to reduce turnovers, but our offense really clicked for some nice bursts, which we haven’t yet seen. Usually every possession is a grind, but that wasn’t quite the case today - plenty of   room for improvement, but maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Gordon, Goodwin, and Bess all had big games. Nice to see Isabell put up 13 on only 9 shots. If we have 4-5 fewer turnovers, this is a 20pt blowout, and we had about that many very correctable turnovers. Played smarter with fouls than we had the last two games. Overall, I think this is a decent win for us, with plenty of learning opportunities to be had. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

And Bess is proven. I like Thatch but he's no where near Bess at this point. 

Sure Bess is proven, and wouldn't it be nice to get one more year out of him. However in all likelihood, Bess will not be here next year and Thatch will be...

We have to live with and make do with what we have. Let's hope Thatch learns and improves a whole lot this year because he will be here next year and Bess will most likely be gone.

Hey guys, there was a tall guy dressed totally in black talking, prior to the game start, with one of our coaches. Later on he lined up with the team for the National Anthem and joined the team in the  pregame huddle. I think he had a small beard on him, he was tall (close to Gordon's height with whom he was talking for a while as well). I did not see him after that. Anyone has any idea who this person may be, a recruit? Anyone knows if we had someone visiting this weekend?

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Huh? They play two different positions. KC, Hargrove and Perkins will be the ones to replace Bess, not Thatch. 

They have been switching up positions a few times I believe but I should have been more specific. Thatch seems similar to Bess on offense In my opinion but he is a proven defender like Bess. What is thatch’s position compared to Bess?

4 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

They have been switching up positions a few times I believe but I should have been more specific. Thatch seems similar to Bess on offense In my opinion but he is a proven defender like Bess. What is thatch’s position compared to Bess?

Thatch is a 2/3, emphasis on 2. Bess is a 3/4, emphasis on 3.