GDT: SLU v. A Different Type of Havoc

SluSignGuy

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

or or, we should have not fouled them, if they missed the 3 pointer.

In my opinion, and the opinions of many others, experts included, you have to foul in that situation.  You make the opponent spend some seconds getting the ball to or slightly past half court, and then you foul.

I'm not convinced fouling was not the SLU plan.  I think the SLU players were gassed and couldn't get to the quicker VCU players to foul them.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

In my opinion, and the opinions of many others, experts included, you have to foul in that situation.

Im not saying Im for or against fouling up 3.  But its a crapshoot, for every expert that says you should, you can find one that says you shouldn't.

4 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I was at the game. I didn't think we stood a snowball's chance if we had to go to OT. We'd blown a nice lead and we were clearly wearing down all through the 2nd half. I wish we had fouled. I'd have lived with the outcome.

Agreed.  You don't foul them in the act of shooting;  you foul them going for the ball.  I learned this the hard way coaching the CYO 8th Graders.  Yes, even in 8th Grade, a kid drained a 3 pointer to tie the game and send it into OT.  But we won that game in Overtime.

I watched the SLU-VCU game out here on CBSSN.  It was obvious that SLU was out of gas, and understandably so with only 8 players playing and 5 players logging most of the minutes.

Another killer was the ref calling that offensive goaltending on SLU.  The replay showed that ball was not in the cylinder;  the ball had just left the cylinder.  I wish the refs had reviewed that replay.

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

Agreed.  I watched out here on CBSSN.  It was obvious that SLU was out of gas, and understandably so with only 8 players playing and 5 players logging most of the minutes.

Another killer was the ref calling that offensive goaltending on SLU.  The replay showed that ball was not in the cylinder;  the ball had just left the cylinder.  I wish the refs had reviewed that replay.

Haven't watched a replay since I was at the game so correct me if im wrong.  On the 10 sec violation, it looked like vcu should have been called for a blocking foul, no?  And then 1 minute later the exact same thing happened to us and someone got called for the blocking foul

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Haven't watched a replay since I was at the game so correct me if im wrong.  On the 10 sec violation, it looked like vcu should have been called for a blocking foul, no?  And then 1 minute later the exact same thing happened to us and someone got called for the blocking foul

The 10 second call was kinda bogus. Ref blew his whistle with 21 on the clock 

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Definitely yes, VCU should have been called for a blocking foul in the backcourt on that 10 second "violation."

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The 10 second call was kinda bogus. Ref blew his whistle with 21 on the clock 

Shouldn't that also be a correctable error?  That's why they have replay.

The refs didn't go to the replay on either the "offensive goaltending," or the "10 second violation."

None of this is surprising.  I am an Oakland Raiders Season Ticket Holder, literally conditioned to scan the field for flags after all big Raider plays.  And then there are the New England Patriots, veritable choir boys, above all reproach ...  Raider Nation has lived through the infamous "Tuck" in the snow in Foxboro, and this year the index card vs. Dallas.

Just now, White Pelican said:

I have more of a problem with the goaltending not being reviewed. (I'm thinking it is not reviewable.) The 10 count is made by some guy counting with his arm motion (same as the inbounds 5) and I don't expect perfection.

The offensive goaltending call made a difference in the outcome;  the 10 second call might have.

19 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I have more of a problem with the goaltending not being reviewed. (I'm thinking it is not reviewable.) The 10 count is made by some guy counting with his arm motion (same as the inbounds 5) and I don't expect perfection.

Actually, the ref doe not count with an arm anymore. They’re supposed to be watching the shot clock. 

33 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Shouldn't that also be a correctable error?  That's why they have replay.

The refs didn't go to the replay on either the "offensive goaltending," or the "10 second violation."

None of this is surprising.  I am an Oakland Raiders Season Ticket Holder, literally conditioned to scan the field for flags after all big Raider plays.  And then there are the New England Patriots, veritable choir boys, above all reproach ...  Raider Nation has lived through the infamous "Tuck" in the snow in Foxboro, and this year the index card vs. Dallas.

Gonna a stay a fan when they're in Vegas?

48 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Actually, the ref doe not count with an arm anymore. They’re supposed to be watching the shot clock. 

-how are they to see fouls? I understand not entirely focused on the clock, but I would think easier to count and watch than have some focus on the clock

2 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Watch any game you like tonight and you’ll see they no longer count with their arms. 

Didnt say it made sense. 

Seems to me that 1/3 refs looking at a digital clock is a lot more effective than some guy counting seconds using his arm.

32 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

There was a game last year when we were up three with a few seconds to go and ford opted to foul and we won the game. Can't think of the opponent but we won the game. I wonder what changed 

I know it happened at least once when Crews was coach and I kept thinking, "was it Crews or Jordair?"  or whoever made the foul.  Seemed like more intervention than Jimmy would've com up with on his own....like a time out.....