A-10 RPI watch

billiken_roy

link is for the current A-10 rpi.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_atl10_Men.html 

if the season was to end today and rhode island wins the conference tourney we are a one bid conference.   i am pretty sure this is the lowest (A-10 is currently the 11th ranked conference overall per rpi) the conference has ranked since the billikens have been a part of the A-10.

i will say i like our SOS referenced here.   I hate playing the cupcake schedule.

15 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

IMO, a strong case is building for us to make a jump with Dayton and/or VCU to the American Athletic Conference.  The further we get away from our 3 straight NCAA appearances, the more it makes sense, since we won't be giving up all that much in credits.

I refuse to give up on the Big East dream!

Moving to the American is not giving up on the Big East.  It just puts us in a better conference, geographically and as far as quality of opponents, until the Big East decides whatever it decides.  If the Big East never calls, we're better in the American.  If they do, there's no reason would couldn't move again to get into our dream conference.

If the A-10 is a sinking ship (Temple, Xavier, Butler, Charlotte have all left in recent years), then we don't want to be the ones who wait too long before getting on a lifeboat.

as long as our conference treats us at least as an equal financially from day one and is like minded i am fine with a change.    imo the only negative for the A-10 is geography.   beyond that i have no problem with the A-10 and think the conference is very competitive on most years.   this is definitely a down year and i would hope just a one time happening.   

Zink likes this

8 hours ago, Compton said:

LaSalle is the highest RPI rated team with a losing record. 5 wins, 6 losses and an RPI of 75. Amazing. 

This a function at looking at the RPI too early.  The RPI is 75% the record of your opponents and their opponents. Looking at the RPI now gives you a sense of where of things can go but there is a lot of volatility (it must be 20 years or so but I remember one year in mid December an unheralded and unnoticed Toledo team had a top 10 RPI in mid-December).  With 25+ observations the ranking becomes close to most rankings (minus differences that may be a function of unusual victory margins).  LaSalle and SLU currently have RPIs inflated by schedule strength they will not maintain.  Their records will be going down (both could start winning consistently and maintain their place obviously).   SLU will drop in rank by playing Campbell and SEMO even by winning (and need to beat Oregon for minor boost).

10 hours ago, Compton said:

LaSalle is the highest RPI rated team with a losing record. 5 wins, 6 losses and an RPI of 75. Amazing. 

-LaSalle hung in there for a long time against Nova on Sunday, LaS made a ton of 3's to stay in the game which was a one possession game with about a minute remaining, at the end Nova made FT's and LaS missed shots 

17 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i have no problem with the A-10 and think the conference is very competitive on most years.   this is definitely a down year and i would hope just a one time happening.   

I disagree. I may be wrong, but it seems like the A-10 has been trending downward for the last few years. This year, the conference may not have a team that cracks the top 25 for the rest of the season. If they'd have us, American Athletic Conference would be a big upgrade.

15 minutes ago, David King said:

I disagree. I may be wrong, but it seems like the A-10 has been trending downward for the last few years. This year, the conference may not have a team that cracks the top 25 for the rest of the season. If they'd have us, American Athletic Conference would be a big upgrade.

i have no problem switching conferences for the right reasons and an equal financial footing.   but being treated as a 3rd class member as the big east hinted we would be is totally unacceptable.  my biggest problem with the American athletic is that other than tulane, there are no private like minded institutions.   we would get eaten alive in the non revenue sports and even in basketball, the budgetary differences would be huge putting us at a huge disadvantage financially.    yes there are far more high profile D1 basketball schools, but not sure we would be regularly competitive, at least in the present.   And if we would elevate our program to a higher level to be on the same plane, at that point, maybe the big east would treat us a little fairer than they have indicated they would now.   i.e.  let's get the program where we all want it to be and then look to upgrade conferences.    until then the A-10 is the best place to be imo.  

This need for some to expect that we always be in a conference that has Catholic schools is somewhat perplexing to me.  I know people think SLU is a Catholic school but it really is not.  Biondi argued all the way to the Missouri Supreme Court that SLU is a private non religious school and he won.  The court accepted his argument that the school is owned and controlled by a lay board.  He made this argument because he wanted I believe $5 million from the State for the infrastructure work around the arena.  A group who claimed that it was against the law to give public tax money to a religious group lost the case.  So the sooner people understand that we are not a Catholic school but a private school who got its start as a Jesuit institution but has long since transitioned into a non Catholic private school.  Once again, Biondi won his argument with the Archdiocese over the sale of the hospital - he won that with the Vatican agreeing with him.  Therefore, we are no different then SMU, Tulane, or Tulsa.  I am not suggesting that moving to the AAC is good or bad just that using the argument that we can not move to it because there are no Catholic schools in it simply does not hold water.  By the way, this takes me back to the thread on Situation #2 - what is a code of conduct that is broken all the time and seldom used accept when a person is caught in public - I think it is a misguided crutch which would be best revised to reflect the more secular ideals that the school actually is and not romanticized to be.

the problem with being in a conference with a great number of non private school is the disadvantage we will put on the non revenue sports.   these public schools have so much more capital and facilities to maximize the ENTIRE athletic department.  at slu we need the basketball program to succeed just to keep our non revenue sports on life support.   if we enter a conference with mostly all powerful public schools, we will need every penny just to compete on a regular basis just in basketball 

while i understand a lot of you only care about the basketball program and honestly it is my greatest focus as well but i still see the need to support our other sports and give them a fighting chance.