Murray St over the Bills by 3

The Wiz

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Re: next year's team, assuming we'll have the 3 players back, we're going to have a deep and talented team:

Santos, Foreman

French, Gordon, Welmer

JJ, Bess, Pearson

AD, Thatch

Goodwin, Bishop, Graves

The above team is a 2nd/3rd round tourney team. We won't need another year or two of recruiting to get there. 

I cant see all 13 players staying.  pearson will have to wait his turn.  I see Bishop transferring out.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, teamarete said:

Gordon is more versatile offensively.  Can play the high/low post.  Good passer and has a decent shot to the arc.

personally I think hes more foreman than french.  super light on his feet, always running around. 

as to what gordon can do (per current observation) i cant tell you all enough about how many of goodwins current drives to the basket that he puts up for difficult layups that dont finish that in high school he rammed home with vicious dunks.  i.e. be careful assuming what gordon is accomplishing now with 6 foot high school centers and forwards defending him versus division one college players.   there will be an adjustment.   especially in the lane size matters.  

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

He needs to ditch the contacts. Just told someone else this 

how can blurred vision help a basketball player's play?   

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

as to what gordon can do (per current observation) i cant tell you all enough about how many of goodwins current drives to the basket that he puts up for difficult layups that dont finish that in high school he rammed home with vicious dunks.  i.e. be careful assuming what gordon is accomplishing now with 6 foot high school centers and forwards defending him versus division one college players.   there will be an adjustment.   especially in the lane size matters.  

I've seen Gordon go up against some of the best post players in the country during the summer...his competition isn't 6 foot post players for the most part.

Just now, billiken_roy said:

how can blurred vision help a basketball player's play?   

I don't know what kind of vision problem Goodwin was having.  My first instinct is the contacts would have to help.  That said, if they changed his depth perception he might not have had enough time to adjust his shot.  

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

gordon we all pray he is french 2.0 next year

bess is the best player on our team right now.   he is a 35 mpg guy

pearson we all hope and pray he is what we expected henriquez to be this year.   a total sniper.  the fact he plays a small school schedule now in high school lends the thought his current accomplishments might be overstated to reality, however we have all seen the highlights.  what's he doing when the highlight camera is off?  

Pearson went off in his first game, but he's been pedestrian from the perimeter since then. There's no question the shooting ability is there, just streaky so far. However, he's still averaging 28.2 and 9.2, so he's getting to the basket plenty, and it's also worth noting that his team is 5-0 and winning by an average margin of 33.2 points, so he's not even playing in the fourth quarter, for the most part. So I'd hestitate to say "total sniper" and point out that he has a more well-rounded game and is just a totally different player than Henriquez.

Bess has been a sneaky strong player this year. We keep getting distracted by the exciting freshman, and then you look up and notice he's scored 16 and grabbed 6 boards and been good for a few steals and assists. He's a workhorse.

Gordon's a different kind of PF than French. Just much different players. Both studs in their own right.

2 minutes ago, teamarete said:

I've seen Gordon go up against some of the best post players in the country during the summer...his competition isn't 6 foot post players for the most part.

And he had a nice night against 6'7" Jamarr Williams in the Webster Classic finals the other night.  Williams isn't a McDonald's All-American, but he will be a D1 player.

26 minutes ago, teamarete said:

we shall see how much his production changes from high school to college.   i expect gordon to be good.   i just expect some of what he does now with ease wont happen in college initially.  

as to your summer note.   you mean watching aau where none of the players play defense?   ok.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we shall see how much his production changes from high school to college.   i expect gordon to be good.   i just expect some of what he does now with ease wont happen in college initially.  

as to your summer note.   you mean watching aau where none of the players play defense?   ok.  

Yes, but I've seen him in camps and USA team training events as well.

I would hold off on the Bonner-French comparisons right now.  I think there are a lot of things that Bonner did better as freshman than French has so far.  That said, French is already a better shot blocker than Bonner ever was.  Bonner was never a shot blocker.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I would hold off on the Bonner-French comparisons right now.  I think there are a lot of things that Bonner did better as freshman than French has so far.  That said, French is already a better shot blocker than Bonner ever was.  Bonner was never a shot blocker.

i agree they are different players.   my comparison with bonner begins and ends with success.   bonner is the best power forward in the last 30 years that has worn a billiken uniform.   i am saying that french might be the player that experiences the same level of success that bonner had by the time french is a senior.   but you are 100% correct they are different types of players.   im just thrilled we finally have a legitimate power forward to watch develop as a billiken.   

brianstl likes this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree they are different players.   my comparison with bonner begins and ends with success.   bonner is the best power forward in the last 30 years that has worn a billiken uniform.   i am saying that french might be the player that experiences the same level of success that bonner had by the time french is a senior.   but you are 100% correct they are different types of players.   im just thrilled we finally have a legitimate power forward to watch develop as a billiken.   

I am in 100% agreement.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Gordon may actually be quicker than French is. But he isn't the leaper that French is. He isn't much of a shotblocker, not even in high school. Legit post game and decent face up shooter out to 15 feet. Above average passer for a big guy.

Those two on the floor together will be fun to watch.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Gordon may actually be quicker than French is. But he isn't the leaper that French is. He isn't much of a shotblocker, not even in high school. Legit post game and decent face up shooter out to 15 feet. Above average passer for a big guy.

Much better free throw shooter too, I assume. Gordon being a mid range threat should open some things up. Having those two guys out there at the same time - wow!

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Gordon and Bonner are a pretty decent comparison when it comes to the style of players they are.

I get Roy’s point but I see no need to temper expectations for Gordon. I expected Goodwin to come in and be the best SLU freshman since Hughes and that’s exactly what he has been (Tommie Liddell the only other competition I can think of). Gordon has all the skills to be our best big man in a while, maybe ever. I watched those HUDL highlights and was blown away at how much better he looks than last year, when he was already a top player in the country. Can’t wait

1 minute ago, NH said:

I get Roy’s point but I see no need to temper expectations for Gordon. I expected Goodwin to come in and be the best SLU freshman since Hughes and that’s exactly what he has been (Tommie Liddell the only other competition I can think of). Gordon has all the skills to be our best big man in a while, maybe ever. I watched those HUDL highlights and was blown away at how much better he looks than last year, when he was already a top player in the country. Can’t wait

again, i expect gordon to be good from day one.   i just dont want everyone to think we are bringing in a sure fire nba top draft pick like performance from opening day.    if he is that will be awesome, but i expect there to be a curve.   just like what goodwin is going through.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

again, i expect gordon to be good from day one.   i just dont want everyone to think we are bringing in a sure fire nba top draft pick like performance from opening day.    if he is that will be awesome, but i expect there to be a curve.   just like what goodwin is going through.  

Totally agree. Would just add that even with a curve Goodwin is still capable of dominating and hoping for the same out of Carteare.

It almost makes me feel better that Goodwin is struggling a little because it just confirms how high his upside is if he can turn into an ok shooter.