SLU Soccer 2017

SLUBALLS

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure someone else will offer further comment, but until someone does...

The youth movement continues as a redshirt freshman (Jones) and a sophomore (Novaes) scored. 

Stanford recorded more shots (16-9), but SLU had a 6-1 advantage on shots on goal.  SLU recorded just one save in the shutout.

I did follow along with the Stanford Twitter feed and they had a way of making it sound like the Cardinal had dangerous shot after dangerous shot.  None of that matters.

Attendance was a mere 3,326 on homecoming, though it was hot and not the usual evening game with fireworks.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Huge.  I'm sure TrollPants will chime in on how great this is for SLU soccer.  

Good win for the Billikens.

I wonder if it is still available online or if the A-10 just shows them live.

They beat number three Wake Forest last season and we all know how that turned out.

We will have to see how the rest of the season goes.

35 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I know it is quite hot, but how was the game (beyond the obvious of the huge win!) for those who went?

It was a great game. SLU looked dangerous in attack. This looked like a completely different team. McGinty looked like a genius putting Jones in then he goes and scored the brace. While Stanford looked good I really don’t think they were ready for a tough road test. This was their first road game of the season and they looked worn out in the second half. 

3 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

Hope this is a bit of a trend for SLU.  Knock off Denver this weekend and I think we will have a hell of a lot more positive vibes after such a rough start.  Will give the boys credit for hanging through a very difficult non-conference schedule.  

Thought the game is Tuesday 

Disappointing loss to Denver because it didn't have to be that way.  Arrived about 20 minutes in and Denver scored and then scored about 5 minutes later.  Then SLU grabbed a PK three minutes after that.  At that time the shots were 7-1 Denver.  From there on out, Denver didn't register a shot I believe as SLU dominated them.  There was a 35-40 minute stretch where SLU was in control, partly due to their play and partly due to Denver sitting back a bit.  But SLU had NUMEROUS good chances to put in the equalizer.  I am talking the shots that half-second before the shot, you thought, "Goal.".    Then Denver gets a free kick with 5 min to go and buries it near post.  Deflating to say the least.  Quality players make quality plays and we didn't have the quality to take care of our chances. 

Players:  Hein is a monster.  Matteo and Wilkinson are great pick ups.  Jones was dangerous.  Novas provided a good spark in the second half.  Massa did not look match fit.  Was surprised McGinty did not sub out his forward line in the second half but then again, we were dominating Denver so he may have stayed with the momentum.    I wonder what is up with Saddiq; needed his quality last night.

I guess the season is over?

Not sure they can come back and get an NCAA bid.

What happened to Sadiq Muhammed? Is he on the team? Someone said he had quality. Where is it?

How many years will SLU put up with McGinty? 

Two tournament appearances in eight years.

Any idea what has happened to SLU?

10 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

I guess the season is over?

Not sure they can come back and get an NCAA bid.

What happened to Sadiq Muhammed? Is he on the team? Someone said he had quality. Where is it?

How many years will SLU put up with McGinty? 

Two tournament appearances in eight years.

Any idea what has happened to SLU?

Seriously. I was very much ok with their  record given that the team was out of their depths with their schedule. I was banking on that experience of them having a tough non-conference schedule translating into them dominating the conference. But now, damn. What the hell was the point of having a ridiculously tough schedule if you can't even dominate your conference?

SLU, because of the university and the city are perfectly positioned to be a soccer powerhouse, yet they can't even be solid. Yes, it's only one conference game. But at what point are we going to say enough is enough. 

4 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Seriously. I was very much ok with their  record given that the team was out of their depths with their schedule. I was banking on that experience of them having a tough non-conference schedule translating into them dominating the conference. But now, damn. What the hell was the point of having a ridiculously tough schedule if you can't even dominate your conference?

SLU, because of the university and the city are perfectly positioned to be a soccer powerhouse, yet they can't even be solid. Yes, it's only one conference game. But at what point are we going to say enough is enough. 

How are they positioned perfectly? 

12 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Good question

I am assuming that 615Billiken means St. Louis is a hotbed of soccer (debateable anymore) due to the number of kids playing soccer in Saint Louis.

Unfortunately the Billikens haven't been able to recruit the better players ( Nick Popovic 2015 Gatorade High School Player of the Year who went to IU comes to mind) given their poor records the last 8 years.

15 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

How are they positioned perfectly? 

2 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

I am assuming that 615Billiken means St. Louis is a hotbed of soccer (debateable anymore) due to the number of kids playing soccer in Saint Louis.

Unfortunately the Billikens haven't been able to recruit the better players ( Nick Popovic 2015 Gatorade High School Player of the Year who went to IU comes to mind) given their poor records the last 8 years.

What Tilkowsky said is part of it. Maybe perfectly positioned is too strong of a claim (I was admittedly a bit drunk when I went on this diatribe), but SLU has all of the raw materials to be a damn good soccer program. 

1) Location. St. Louis on its own has a decent amount of talent. You can also go to other cities in the region like KC, Columbus, Indy, Chicago, etc. 

2) Academics. SLU is not an elite school, but its a pretty good academic school, particularly for the white suburbanite, which is what many of the top recruits are (due to access to club soccer, camps, etc.)

3) History. Yes, the championship years were forever ago. But you have something to cling to. How many programs in other sports cling to their history even if they haven't won anything in years in order to get recruits that want to make the program great again?

4) Facilities. Yes, we talk about how Hermann needs this or that and that's true. But we also have it pretty good in many ways. SLU is a beautiful campus, and soccer facilities are much more neglected at many other schools. At least here you have a nice practice field with a skyline view and a pretty decent stadium..

Look, I'll qualify my drunken statement that they should be a powerhouse. But I sure as hell still believe they have the raw material to be a contender in the A10 year in and year out and make the NCAA tournament at least once every 3 years (I want to say every other year, but I'll hold back). I'm not upset that they aren't a top 10 team. I'm upset that they not even a good A10 team (speaking beyond just this season). 

20 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Obviously they aren't getting elite talent from the area, or maybe the talent is as good as everyone thinks.

You would think if they were getting top talent in the area - they should be able to dominate in the A-10.

There's been a paradigm shift in youth sports over the last 20 years where soccer is dominating and is more mainstream than football, baseball, basketball. It's also taking hold in socioeconomic soft points because soccer is, financially, a less-exerting sport to play - equipment is leaps and bounds cheaper than football for sure and with the spotlight on concussions, etc., the sport is trending upwards in major cities across the country. The ACC (8 NCAA men's titles since 2001) has been so dominating because youth soccer is flourishing in the mid-Atlantic and southeastern United States population centers like the D.C. Metro, Richmond, the Research Triangle of Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Birmingham, Ala. These guys don't have to leave the region to play for an annual national championship contender.

Coincidentally, on the professional side, you're seeing MLS reach expansion cater to these thriving and expanding markets (which also include transplants from the Midwest - Chicago, St. Louis, etc). Don't forget about Texas -- the Lone Star state is still (American) football crazy, but Texas is also a state where soccer is huge - first time I ever saw an EPL game advertised in America was at a pub in Dallas, Trinity Hall, that was opening up just a few hours after I exited bar left to host some rabid Hotspur supporters. 

So it's not so much SLU having to compete for talent locally, it's that the country is evolving into a soccer-crazed nation, which is great if you are a soccer fan - but SLU can't rest on it's local/Midwest laurels anymore. We have to compete at a national level (even dipping into an international pool) to secure top talent. Does it sting to see our local guys leave for IU, UvA, Stanford, etc? Sure. But that doesn't mean we can't raid the Atlanta metro or the Raleigh/Durham area of its top talent and bring them to SLU.