SLU, Mizzou game talk thread

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Congratulations to Coach Martin for buying himself the 4th ranked recruiting class.  We now know that for at least $1.125 million, you can be #4.  (We don't know if any of the other players received spending money.) I suggest that for $1.125 M and a #4 class, the expectation for Martin is at a minimum, Elite Eight, or maybe even Final Four.  Anything less, well I would consider it a colossal waste of taxpayer money, and/or an abject failure of the program.  Pressure is on. 

Last time he had a class that high, they made it all the way to the first round of the NCAA tournament only to be upset by 13 seed.  That Cal team had a better returning roster though so I wouldn't set expectations that high.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Congratulations to Coach Martin for buying himself the 4th ranked recruiting class.  We now know that for at least $1.125 million, you can be #4.  (We don't know if any of the other players received spending money.) I suggest that for $1.125 M and a #4 class, the expectation for Martin is at a minimum, Elite Eight, or maybe even Final Four.  Anything less, well I would consider it a colossal waste of taxpayer money, and/or an abject failure of the program.  Pressure is on. 

I am not sure if all the coaches salaries are paid with tax money - I think I was told that the AD has a fund raising arm that get the money for football and basketball salaries.  If this is wrong then someone set me straight.

55 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Either you meant to use blue font for the text I highlighted in bold, or you are very naive about how funding for college athletics works.

As of 2016, the highest-paid UM employee (as in the amount actually paid by the UM system) was $700,000 to Tiger football offensive coordinator Josh Heupel. Pinkel got (officially) $350,000.

Odom now gets $2.35 million from an official salary of $450,000 and nonsalary payments guaranteed at $1.9 million annually. Anderson's salary is $300,000 per year with $692,000 in nonsalary payments.

Anyway, although taxpayers aren't paying the exorbitant numbers, they are paying for some of the highest public salaries in Missouri. 

8 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Last time he had a class that high, they made it all the way to the first round of the NCAA tournament only to be upset by 13 seed.  That Cal team had a better returning roster though so I wouldn't set expectations that high.

Didn't they have multiple starters go down with injuries right before the tourney?

30 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I don't know.  Could you bring up ANOTHER school no one here cares at all about?  That'd be cool.  Notre Dame,  Oklahoma (not osu,)  Texas Tech, and Florida are great examples.

Thanks,

Rich 

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=211661415&_ga=2.71687131.93177699.1502814417-1806741824.1502814417

23 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

With Porter, I am legitimately surprised it is only #4.

I felt the same way, but the classes that Duke, Kentucky, and Arizona are bringing in are even more elite: https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals-2017-basketball-team-rankings-update

Duke: PF Marvin Bagley (5-star)*, PG Trevon Duval (No. 4), C Wendell Carter (No. 5), SG Gary Trent (No. 17), SG Alex O’Connell (No. 54), SF Jordan Tucker (No. 68), PG Jordan Goldwire (NR 3-star).

Kentucky: SF Kevin Knox (No. 9), SF Jarred Vanderbilt (No. 13), PF P.J. Washington (No. 14), C Nick Richards (No. 16), PG Quade Green (No. 21), PG Shai Alexander (No. 31), SG Jemarl Baker (No. 78).

Arizona: PF DeAndre Ayton (No. 3), SF Emmanuel Akot (NR 5-star)*, SG Brandon Randolph (No. 49), PF Ira Lee (No. 57), PG Alex Barcello (No. 114).

Mizzou: SF Michael Porter Jr. (No. 1), PF Jontay Porter (NR 5-star)*, C Jeremiah Tilmon (No. 42), PG C.J. Roberts (No. 104), PG Blake Harris (No. 131).

*Bagley, Akot, and Jontay Porter were all 5-star 2018 recruits who reclassified as 2017 recruits and will play this season.

I do not know for sure but I believe that Duke and Kentucky bring in similar level classes year after year, maybe a couple of slots down in any particular year. For them this is nothing new, it is the way it is. I do not think this is the case for Arizona or Mizzou but I could be wrong here.

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I do not know for sure but I believe that Duke and Kentucky bring in similar level classes year after year, maybe a couple of slots down in any particular year. For them this is nothing new, it is the way it is. I do not think this is the case for Arizona or Mizzou but I could be wrong here.

Yes, the past several years have seen Duke and UK trading top-class rankings and splitting the bulk of the 5-star one-and-dones.

Arizona has been right behind them with 4- and 5-star recruits, usually in or near the top 5 in terms of recruiting class rankings.

This is new for Mizzou, at least in this era. Whether they can keep it up remains to be seen; they don't have more Porter families in queue.

8 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I don't care about soccer, much less women's soccer, but at least it's Billiken Women's Soccer.....

You said stop posting about schools no one here cares about. Are you telling me you don't care about other SLU sports?   If you had it your way would you just watch SLU scrimmage itself every night to avoid seeing or hearing about other schools?

I don't think Duke and MU recruiting updates have any place on this board.  Neither team will be playing each other until the Porters are a distant memory and Duke has a whole new crop of one and dones. 

Back to your scrimmage idea.  I like it.  I'd pay good money to watch the Billikens mens basketball tem play soccer against the womens soccer team. That would be the only soccer game worth watching. I'd take the ladies......