Selection Sunday

Pistol

1 hour ago, Bizziken said:

Go Dan Muller...

"What the committee is asking for is not possible sometimes," Muller said. "Our staff probably called 25 of the schools that made it to see if they would play us. What do they want us to do?"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-illinois-state-ncaa-tournament-20170312-story.html

He might have called them, but they saw the 309 area code and didn't pick up the phone.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Although that 7 St. Mary's vs. 10 VCU matchup definitely fits the NCAA's new diabolical method of pitting strong non-Power 5 teams against each other to get rid of one of them, having seen both these teams play, both on TV, plus SMC in person, this is a fascinating matchup, and one I am interested in watching.

Seeding Wichita State as a 10 and matching it against Dayton in the First Round is NCAA treachery. 

It definitely can make for some interesting first-round matchups.  

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

That was my first reaction, too.  I don't know how accurate the reaction is.  SMU, Middle TN St., Nevada, and Cincinnati all have games against power 5 teams.  If you want to expand it to the new Big East members X gets Maryland.  And really X, Nevada, and Middle TN St couldn't ask for better teams to face in the first round as 11 and 12 seeds.  Minnesota might be the most over seeded team in the tournament and if they aren't Maryland is.  Iowa St just feels to me like a team primed to get knocked off after their Big 12 tourney run.

In part that's because they ran out of mid majors to pit these schools against. 

I guess it depends on what schools you believe are mid major or not. Nevada might be, but I don't view the top programs in the AAC as mid major, particularly Cincinnati. Xavier is similar to Butler and Creighton in that someone could label it as mid major, but I'd suggest they've now got more in common with the biggies due to their history, conference affiliation, and rabid fanbase.

In my mind, there are only a few mid major types in the tournament and they've been pretty much been matched up against each other or to programs as close to mid major as possible.  God forbid we have an elite 8 game with Butler and WSU. 

1 hour ago, Bizziken said:

Go Dan Muller...

"What the committee is asking for is not possible sometimes," Muller said. "Our staff probably called 25 of the schools that made it to see if they would play us. What do they want us to do?"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-illinois-state-ncaa-tournament-20170312-story.html

The Dukie talking head Seth Davis said it yesterday on CBS, Schedule the Power 5 on the road with no return visit.  The Power 5 wants its cake and to eat it too.  A nice follow up question for ISU Red's Muller would be of those 25 calls, how many did ISU offer to play on the road only, with no return visit to Normal.

Caveat:  I do not agree with this, do no agree with what the Dukie TV talking head said.  But regrettably the Other Side is again following the "Golden Rule," as in he who holds the gold makes the rule.

The NCAA Tournament, like the NFL, especially when the Raiders are involved (Tuck this), is a Conspiracy Theorist's veritable cornucopia.

Ignore the alleged stated rules, even the de facto unwritten rules such as such mundane premises that (a) no team with sub-.500 in conference record (K-State) can be granted an NCAA At Large Bid, and (b) no team with 15 losses (Vanderbilt) can be given an NCAA At Large bid.

There is only 1 rule that really applies, The Golden Rule, as in he who holds the Gold makes the Rule.  A corollary is the Judge instructing the young law clerk:  "This is my decision.  You give me my reasons."

38 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The Dukie talking head Seth Davis said it yesterday on CBS, Schedule the Power 5 on the road with no return visit.  The Power 5 wants its cake and to eat it too.  A nice follow up question for ISU Red's Muller would be of those 25 calls, how many did ISU offer to play on the road only, with no return visit to Normal.

Caveat:  I do not agree with this, do no agree with what the Dukie TV talking head said.  But regrettably the Other Side is again following the "Golden Rule," as in he who holds the gold makes the rule.

I generally agree with Seth Davis, but that is a really stupid comment. Instead of criticizing the P5 school for only wanting to play a home game, he criticizes ISU for not taking an inherently unfair deal.

I really don't take issue with leaving Illinois State out...I just think the scheduling argument is BS. We all heard firsthand about the problems Majerus had when attempting to schedule Power 5 schools. I don't think the committee should reward chickensh!t Power 5 teams that are too scared to schedule difficult non-con games. This year teams like Wisconsin, and USC, and South Carolina, and Maryland, and Seton Hall, and Virginia Tech (as always) fit this description. Mid Major coaches need to start calling these programs out just like Muller did. Conversely, the committee should reward mid-majors for scheduling difficult (often road) games, even when they lose a high % of them. Even middling P5 schools have horrendous road conference win percentages. 

Every team that won 6 or more games against top 50 RPI teams made the tournament except Syracuse.  Vandy has 6 wins against the top 50.  Vandy went 7-3 in their last 10 and Cuse went 5-5.  Marquette went 7-7 against the top 50.  Only 8 teams in the country had more top 50 RPI wins than Marquette.

52 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

If you are not going to get a return game then become a buy game with Duke - might as well get paid for beating them.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

IL St's OOC schedule featured zero teams that made the NCAA tournament.  Granted it is hard to schedule P5 teams home and home, but you have to schedule better than they did.

true but how do they have a such a high RPI?

53 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If you are not going to get a return game then become a buy game with Duke - might as well get paid for beating them.

we did this.... didnt come close to beating them though

Just now, NextYearBill said:

no i get.... just saying, Duke was more than happy to let us come to their campus and punish.... Illinois State could have found something 

OK I understand - but one could make the case that if you increase your RPI and SOS even with a loss and can put 300K in the bank then why not do it.  I wonder if Duke would not want to make that a buy game given that there conf schedule is tough already.