Question about Liddel

STLfan

I have read in several places, including I believe a post dispatch article that says that Tommie may be the best bball player in the st. louis area. However I can't help but wonder why none of the recruiting sites has him in there top 100/150 rankings. I have never seen him play but I saw his stats for last year and they are very impresive. Also if he is the best in the area howcome Grimes and Price are both ranked by rivals 63 and 136 respectivly.

Let me be very clear I am thrilled about this recruiting class and truely believe that Brad Soderberg will eventually take this program to a level than it hasn't ever been to.

Also I am wondering what are peoples expectations for this season. Personally I hope to finish in the top five of CUSA again and this year make the NCAA's and at least make it to the second round(I hate loseing in the first, that always seems to imply that you don't belong there). However I really don't know what to expect from this team this year. We are very inexperienced and not haveing Perry will take some getting used to.

Sorry fo the long post didn't mean to ramble for so long. I was only recently able to register here. Also I think that we made the right choice going to the A10, no offense to any MVC fans. And the new arena Looks VERY impresive. Can't wait. But again I am rambling. So I will stop for now.

You know this world is screwed up when: the best golfer in the world is black, the best rapper in the world is white, the Germans don't want to fight anymore, and the French think WE'RE arrogant!

Liddell spent a large amount of his time this summer working on his academics and missed some of the Eagles tournaments, chances to shine, etc.

Grimes' high ranking is based almost entirely on potential. His actualy production has been small against clearly inferior players, particularly in highschool, but his size alone makes him an NBA prospect and thus the high ranking.

In head-to-head games Lidell has played better than Price. At least that is what the people that have attended the games have said.

Yes, people have been spelling Tommie Liddell's name wrong (I've even done it once), but it's not a sign of disrespect. For various reasons, people get certain spellings hardwired into their brains and they can't type anything different except with great effort (more effort than most people are willing to expend in an informal forum).

Liddell isn't the first. People have been misspelling:

Diener (Deiner)

Fisher (Fischer)

Marque (Marquee)

Quin (Quinn)

There may be others. I've given up trying to correct people. It's not worth the effort, because they'll never internalize the correct spelling.

Bottom line: most people will spell Liddell, "Liddell," but some will sometimes write "Lidell" or "Liddel" (but probably not "Lidel"). But regardless of how they spell his name, nearly all of the posters will speak positively about Tommie Liddell.

stlfan, what kshoe wrote is absolutely the truth. these recruiting sites make their living off of the aau events. those aau coaches "cooperate" far more than the high school coaches in everyway thus the recruiters work the summer circuit.

the price to liddell comparison is the perfect example. price has consistently been a top 100 recruit, yet i have never seen price out play liddell or lisch (who is ranked around 200+ in the junior class). both liddell and lisch dont play aau. price never misses the eagles games.

as to grimes, his rankings have to be based on potential. i have seen him out played in every game i have ever watched of his (probably 10x) and many of those lost battles were to 6'2" high school centers that have no business on the court with him. there is no denying grimes has an nba body. he looks like the cincy bearcat version of danny fortson right now. but looks will only take him so far. personally i think he has went to the right place. judging by what missouri has done with arthur johnson you have to believe he has went to the right place to maybe bring that potential out.

i saw the eagles 3x this summer. all 3x imo grimes was the 3rd inside player on the team let alone the floor. both shaw and hansborough are better inside players.

i cant wait for the shootout. east st louis has some very nice inside players that grimes wont like playing against. hazelwood will probably try to guard liddell with their own version of him, aaron jackson. while aaron is a fine athlete, i think he might be the most fundametally unsound defender considering his ability around. thus, i look for liddell to end this debate once and for all as to who the best st louis area senior is this year. imo, it is the game of the shootout.

The best rapper in the world is white??????? Are you referring to Eminem? Is that a consensus? Please tell me where you get that from.

It's not that I'm a connoisseur of hip-hop/rap, or anywhere near it (indeed, I don't care for the artform, despite my "blackness"), but I question that statement. You're entitled to your opinion though, and I'm not qualified to argue. Please tell me who you're talking about and why.

Thicks, I think that is based off of total revenue. I, like you, know as much about Rap as I do about Country. Saying somebody is the best is subjective any way you look at. I have heard that about Eminem in terms of most sales. Often the top selling, or the higest rated, or most watched is often then titled "best". I guess it doesn't necessarily mean best in every sense as that again is subjective.

>I think I remember Charles Barkley saying something a couple

>years ago about the irony of the best golfer in the world

>being black and the best rapper in the world being white,

>but I'm not sure where the rest of the quote came from.

I remember that too. I'm pretty sure Chris Rock said this first and everyone else is quoting him. It was part of a larger monologue about how the world is all up.

I think you might be right. I don't really know where it orignally came from. Two different people emailed me this and I thought it was kind of funny so... That's why it is on the bottom of my posts.

You know this world is screwed up when: the best golfer in the world is black, the best rapper in the world is white, the Germans don't want to fight anymore, and the French think WE'RE arrogant!

Thanks to both you and Kshoe for clearing that up.

And me with tseugnekillib in between us at a bar with each of us sipping our favorite malt beverage and telling one funny story after another. Comedy central, huh, well maybe not. You did get a chuckle from me with your crack back.

I kind of like my music blaring but tonight is was Bryan Adams in my car CD player...going to see him in a few weeks at Ruth Eckerd Hall a fantastic venue in Clearwater. You'd be hardpressed to get any Rap into my CD player and yes my two daughters listen to it.

Perhaps it's the "angry poetry" that sells the most -- it's all about the dollas, balla! -- but occasionally rap is better than "angry poetry." The good stuff doesn't get as much exposure as the stuff that glorifies sex, drugs, violence, and misogyny because they won't sell as many records and products. It's unfortunate, but our society embraces negativity far more than warm fuzzies.

You may not have been exposed to it, but there is a genre called Gospel Rap. It's hardly angry poetry, though it conforms to many of the rhythms that many of associate with "angry poetry." Personally, while I love Gospel music, I don't like "pure" Gospel Rap, because it's difficult for me to dissociate the "angry" rhythm (or flow) from the content. But if you listen to (or can understand) the lyrics, you'll see that it's message isn't anger. While not Gospel, Tupac's "Dear Mama" is one of the best, most touching raps I've ever heard.

If you're implying that I'm having a "freakin hissy fit" over the issue then you have a serious problem. I am simply asking ("askin" to use your apparent preferred terminology) that we show a new recruit the common courtesy of spelling his name correctly, since I assume he, like many of our recruits/players, reads this Board. Sorry Shanz if that is too much to ask of you.