Transition Year, But Is Crews Long-Term Answer?

aj_arete

That happens. SLU had too many misses in previous classes to overcome the loss of so many seniors last year. Having said that, are we hopeful that Crews has the same eye for hidden talent as Majerus?

I didn't care about recruiting rankings when it came to Majerus because he had the innate talent to find those hidden gems. I do realize that there's some talent among the freshmen and the game against GW was promising.

I recognize with young talent that you'll have more inconsistent performances, so I don't put too much credence in the Davidson debacle. However in two years, can SLU return to the upper tier?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See the TL-RA thread, JC's gonna have some tough decisions to make at the end of the bottoming year. Remember over the last 3 years 3 classes contributed to our success, right now we don't have that set-up. It's all on the 6 FR and AY. Somehow he's got to fill a big gap to get us back to competitive in the A10.

I do not think he is the long-term answer, and I say that hoping I am wrong. Here is something I posted last spring when I was new to the forum, and for which I got a lot of instant backlash:

"New to the forum, but I've been following SLU basketball carefully for the past two seasons.

I have to say, I am not confident that Crews is the man for the coaching job at SLU.Yes, the Billikens had two great seasons, but a lot of that was just based off of the foundation that Majerus left (players, playing style, attitude, etc.). Crews did a great job helping the team navigate through the difficult circumstances of his first year, and the rapid change, but it seems that the team dwindled as Crews hand on the team began to show.

SLU didn't show up when it mattered in the tournament in 2013, and in late in the season in 2014. You can't always blame the coach for the team not showing up, but he doesn't have a proven track record of being able to get a team of mid-level talent to perform at higher levels (he didn't do much at Evansville, or Army).

I really like SLU's approach of signing under recruited players and developing them over 4 years, but for that you need a coach that has a proven track record of getting the best out of his players. Honestly, the rising sophomores, and incoming freshman don't look so great, and I am worried about SLU's future. I know we next season is expected to be a restructuring year, and I understand that one has to be patient, but I don't think Crews has put SLU in a good position for years after that.

I look at a comparable program like VCU who has signed 3 ESPN top 100 recruits and I am worried that SLU is just not competing. I hope I am proven wrong, but I don't think he is the man for the job."

I think we have seen more of this trend this season. I EXPECTED this season to be tough, and it is not the win/loss columns that i see as concerning. I would have expected this record with really any coach. Here is what I DO find concerning:

-As Crews has had his hand with players, we have not seen improvement/development (I will exclude the Freshmen because many of them need a natural adjustment period and are just not showing their floor). McBroom was not able to make a big jump, and Yacoubou didn't really turn into a difference maker with that year of practices. The Sophomores, which are the class that has seen really only Crews is the class that we are talking about not showing any signs of improvement.

-There are extremely frustrating parts of the Billiken's game that one would expect to see improve over the years and as the season progresses. Our big problem last year was 3 pt shooting. One would have thought that this would be addressed in the off season, and we can see that its still an issue. We have struggled with free throws all season, and the frustrations continue.

I think he is a great game manager. I will not take that away from him. I do believe, however, that it makes more than that to build a successful program. A coach has to be able to recruit well, develop, AND THEN be a great game manager.

So you really like how SLU has signed under recruited players and developed them over 4 years but you're also worried we aren't signing top 100 players like vcu?

So you want us to recruit under recruited top 100 players?

Crews did an incredible job the last two years. His first real recruiting class is performing incredibly well considering the team they joined IMO. What are you looking for from crews that he hasn't delivered on? What should he have done differently? What coach is out there that could make this team and program better in the short and long term that SLU could hire?

So you really like how SLU has signed under recruited players and developed them over 4 years but you're also worried we aren't signing top 100 players like vcu?

So you want us to recruit under recruited top 100 players?

Crews did an incredible job the last two years. His first real recruiting class is performing incredibly well considering the team they joined IMO. What are you looking for from crews that he hasn't delivered on? What should he have done differently? What coach is out there that could make this team and program better in the short and long term that SLU could hire?

Yes. I do not see the two having to be contradictory. I understand SLU's position as a mid-major, and it is crucial that they continue to bring in player who are a little under the radar but have great potential. This should be our base. Yarbrough is a great example. At the same time, however, it is important to shoot for some top rated players. I get that prospect rankings don't guarantee anything, and in many cases top rated players turn out to be busts. But GENERALLY, higher rated players are actually better players. My reason for bringing up VCU and their high rated recruiting classes is to say that they have visible signs or improvement in recruiting, and that highly regarded players WANT to go there. I think that starting to mine players from top 100 lists would at least be a good sign, but definitely not define out success.

To answer your question "So you want us to recruit under recruited top 100 players?" directly: No. because top 100 players are obviously highly recruited (the sarcasm in your question is not lost upon me). I want us to have a solid base of under recruited players with potential as we have been, while ALSO shooting for a few highly regarded players. We can mock player rankings an ratings all we want, but at the end of the day those lists do provide at least some framework of where player skill levels are at, and it is no coincidence that the top program get players that are more highly rated.

He did an incredible job in managing the situation he was in. As he guided a well practiced, experienced, and talented team through a hot 19 gam streak, but towards the end they really struggled in the last few conference games, the conference tournament, and the ncaa tournament (yes, i know they had that come back win against NC State, but SLU's struggles were still on display).

Yes, most of this freshman class is performing well, but it is still too early in their careers to give a verdict. I put more weigh on seeing how players have DEVELOPED (or not developed) under his tenure.

What i would like to see is for the team to improve on concrete things that have been a problem since last season, mainly 3 point shooting and free throws, and I will ad turnovers to this season. I know the team is young, so there was a bit of a reset from last year to this year, but I would like to see an upward trend game to game, an that is something I am not seeing.

I do not know who SLU could hire. I will not try to answer that questions because honestly I am not knowledgeable enough about coaches to be able to give a firm answer. I am simply saying that from a fan that has earnestly been supporting the Billikens for a short 2 1/2 year stint (short compared to the vets on this board), my observations tell me that Crews is not someone I have confidence in.

I hope he shuts me up and proves me wrong.

We'll know soon if Crews is closer to Majerus than Soderberg.

If Crews can keep our best young talent from transferring and at the same time cut some of the fat off the roster this offseason we'll be ok. If he doesn't then expect mainly .500 seasons or below.

Evansville hasn't made the tournament since crews left. i bet they regret they wish they had him back. Army has never finished higher in the patriot league then 4th - courtesy of coach crews.

I don't really see a reason to start putting crews on the hot seat right now. Look at the way the schools we want to emulate built their programs. Firing coaches regularly isn't how it's done.

Evansville hasn't made the tournament since crews left. i bet they regret they wish they had him back. Army has never finished higher in the patriot league then 4th - courtesy of coach crews.

I don't really see a reason to start putting crews on the hot seat right now. Look at the way the schools we want to emulate built their programs. Firing coaches regularly isn't how it's done.

We just got our asses kicked by 30 by a mediocre Davidson team and you don't think the coach should be under fire? This is not a rebuilding year, it's a disaster.

We just got our asses kicked by 30 by a mediocre Davidson team and you don't think the coach should be under fire? This is not a rebuilding year, it's a disaster.

THANK YOU! And to think i got banned for saying this a month ago because everyone's head was in the sand. Crews NEVER had any success as a coach anywhere till he got here with 2 years of Majerus recruits. Hes Bruce Weber 2.0. After Selfs recruits were gone, Illini tanked. Same thing here. Crews recruited 1 player so far, MY. MAYBE AG AND DR...but none of them are going to be tournament players at this juncture.

THANK YOU! And to think i got banned for saying this a month ago because everyone's head was in the sand. Crews NEVER had any success as a coach anywhere till he got here with 2 years of Majerus recruits. Hes Bruce Weber 2.0. After Selfs recruits were gone, Illini tanked. Same thing here. Crews recruited 1 player so far, MY. MAYBE AG AND DR...but none of them are going to be tournament players at this juncture.

He brought Evansville to 4 tournaments. They haven't been to the tournament since he left. Is that not success for that school?

He has the most NCAA wins in SLU history.

Who should replace him? What should he have done differently the past 2.5 years?

First, Davidson will probably make the tournament. Embarrassing loss, but not because they're a mediocre team.

Secondly, who are we going to bring in to coach? Everyone loves to say Crews' success here was because of Majerus but fail to realize how hard it is to take over a team as their coach is dying and lead them to back-to-back tournaments.

Guys like you are the worst. Ride the wave when it's high and jumping ship at the first sign of trouble. I hope you're not at the games next year when we're back in the rankings and about to head back to the tournament. "Fans" like you truly don't deserve a successful program.

First, Davidson will probably make the tournament. Embarrassing loss, but not because they're a mediocre team.

Secondly, who are we going to bring in to coach? Everyone loves to say Crews' success here was because of Majerus but fail to realize how hard it is to take over a team as their coach is dying and lead them to back-to-back tournaments.

Guys like you are the worst. Ride the wave when it's high and jumping ship at the first sign of trouble. I hope you're not at the games next year when we're back in the rankings and about to head back to the tournament. "Fans" like you truly don't deserve a successful program.

You honestly think this team will be in the rankings next year? And the tournament? Sorry I just don't see it. As far as fans like me, I will be at every home game and watch every road game just like the last 25 years. I never said crews should be fired just that he should be under some heat If he doesn't at least make this team respectable this year. Last night was not acceptable.

Let's quit acting like the freshmen this season are awesome. We have one for sure player out of the group and have seen nothing consistent from the rest.

That doesn't mean the rest are a flop, but you can't act like the class was great at this point either.

A lot of over reaction here based on one game. Davidson's clearly better than mediocre. Look at their games against UVA and UNC for proof. Still, that was ugly last night. We clearly were not in the same category. It's what JC does after this season that will give us an indication where we're headed. He was dealing with the great unknown at season's start. Especially, w/ the Sophs and Frosh. But the pictures become a whole lot clearer at the midway point. For the FR it's looking like a core of four. For the SOPHs, they have a half season left to cut bait or fish. Right now those 3 slots are the gaping hole in this team. Watching TL and RA is extremely painful. MC not so much, but still no game changer either, see Jake Barnett 2. RM would pull no punches or play Mr. nice Guy here. They'd be getting the knock on the door at season's end. JC has to do the same. Unless, he can pick up 2 JUCOs to fill those slots, next year can only get marginally better. We can't fault him for the weakness of the SOPH class, as his was in between a rock and a hard place. But now he's got to do his best to fix it.

Let's quit acting like the freshmen this season are awesome. We have one for sure player out of the group and have seen nothing consistent from the rest.

That doesn't mean the rest are a flop, but you can't act like the class was great at this point either.

I've seen a great deal to like from MY, a lot to like from DR and AG, and flashes from MB. I think the frosh will turn out to be a very good class.

I've seen a great deal to like from MY, a lot to like from DR and AG, and flashes from MB. I think the frosh will turn out to be a very good class.

i

+1

I have seen flashes from MR as well. He took over the Inndiana State game, scored 19 points, carried us on his back and won us the game. I have not seen JM, GG, Ash or the 3 Sophs come close to this. Can he do this every game ? Of course not. Is MR inconsistent like all Frosh usually are? Yes.

Again. Seeing glimpses from the Frosh is one thing. Seeing glimpses from upperclassmen is another. Start the rebuild now. Have The Talk later.

A lot of over reaction here based on one game. Davidson's clearly better than mediocre. Look at their games against UVA and UNC for proof. Still, that was ugly last night. We clearly were not in the same category. It's what JC does after this season that will give us an indication where we're headed. He was dealing with the great unknown at season's start. Especially, w/ the Sophs and Frosh. But the pictures become a whole lot clearer at the midway point. For the FR it's looking like a core of four. For the SOPHs, they have a half season left to cut bait or fish. Right now those 3 slots are the gaping hole in this team. Watching TL and RA is extremely painful. MC not so much, but still no game changer either, see Jake Barnett 2. RM would pull no punches or play Mr. nice Guy here. They'd be getting the knock on the door at season's end. JC has to do the same. Unless, he can pick up 2 JUCOs to fill those slots, next year can only get marginally better. We can't fault him for the weakness of the SOPH class, as his was in between a rock and a hard place. But now he's got to do his best to fix it.

Stop making excuses for JC. Full time job, NCAA Tourney for second year and National Coach of the year is a good time to pick up 2 recruits in the spring. If both turned out good, we would be in good shape now and we would have had depth last year. Instead, both look like bad misses.

Having the Talk this spring and bringing in new kids next year after this season will be tough and more like the rock and hard place you mention.

Yeah so? Evansville never made it out of the first round, and Army has never transcended as a team at this level. SLU is a program looking to make a jump to a next tier (whether that looks like going to the big east, make a big tournament run, i do not know). He has not proven he can take a team to the next level. I know evansville is a small school, but there have been schools in that context that can do big things (Davidson is a good example).

taking evansville to the tournament and loosing in the 1st round every time is not impressive, especially since he as not been able to do well in tournaments with SLU.

If you wanna look at Crews' past then look at the big picture. 7 NCAA appearances in 21 years (I'm not counting Army. Sorry but that's not good enough for me.

Crews is a great leader and he was the perfect guy to take over when Majerus fell ill. But he's not the guy to restart a program. If he could've kept it going with a good class this year and just one more stud this year it'd be different.

It's fair to question Crews. He gets this year and next before you can make a final judgement but it's fine to question him.

I think there's more blame to go around. Certainly Crews could have recruited better last year. But the AD/President could have gotten serious about the program and made him full time coach earlier. Look at what Butler just did. Take the interim tag off earlier.

Also no one wants to say it. And even though I'm beyond tired of excuses, health is an excuse here. But RM didn't leave Crews with much if anything. I'll leave it at that.

Crews has a decent recruiting class here. Now he just has to develop them and use them has a collective group rather than trying to win with a couple guys.

Stop making excuses for JC. Full time job, NCAA Tourney for second year and National Coach of the year is a good time to pick up 2 recruits in the spring. If both turned out good, we would be in good shape now and we would have had depth last year. Instead, both look like bad misses.

Having the Talk this spring and bringing in new kids next year after this season will be tough and more like the rock and hard place you mention.

Not making excuses, Clock, just saying he didn't have the ideal environment for recruiting that spring. And I can't recall anyone posting on here at the time that these two were stiffs, or Brad type roster fillers. Now, they haven't worked out, which hurts, but that happens with any number of recruits. You're right, however, he is once again in between the Rock and hard place. But keeping them around for two more years does nothing to move us forward. Plus, I'm skeptical we can recruit JUCO's who would help much next year, unless we got really lucky. That said, if we could replace them with a couple of good spring recruits from HS or overseas, we should jump at the chance. Otherwise, we're going into next two years with basically the same team and that means carrying two guys that aren't contributing. Still, I'm hoping they both show us something in the remaining games that would warrant JC keeping them on the roster. But they seem to be really so far removed from doing that the chances appear to be slim to none.